ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Odyssey. You will be able to walk on planets. You will spawn at the foot of your ship ramp. You will be able to walk into small isolated structures which behave like a walk-in menu for legs missions. Some of the landable planets will have coloured skies but no weather. The rest will stay unlandable. And that's it. Odyssey.

At the rate Fdev are going that is even pushing it for content, I can see a meta grind for materials for "Suit Oxygen" making its way in to stop you walking for more that 5 minutes.....I mean whats the lowest life support on a ship....now picture your little suit

Dont get me wrong I do not hold the community managers accountable their only told what they are told.....I feel sorry for them to be honest
I'm with ya, I imagine if they could, they would love to tell us things as opposed to the awkward streams of silence regarding info. I mean even teasers or blurred out images would be great! They all seem like good and chill guys. I do have faith in Arthur changing things up for the better once he gets settled in!

Odyssey. You will be able to walk on planets. You will spawn at the foot of your ship ramp. You will be able to walk into small isolated structures which behave like a walk-in menu for legs missions. Some of the landable planets will have coloured skies but no weather. The rest will stay unlandable. And that's it. Odyssey.

So far this is what is seems from that initial trailer. Hopefully things look more positive as we get more information on Odyssey, but then when has hope ever paid off with Frontier?

At the rate Fdev are going that is even pushing it for content, I can see a meta grind for materials for "Suit Oxygen" making its way in to stop you walking for more that 5 minutes.....I mean whats the lowest life support on a ship....now picture your little suit
Relevant here. We will see.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Forge Your Own Path

Take on a wide variety of contracts and play your way, from diplomacy and commerce to lethal stealth and all-out combat. Diverse settings, objectives, and NPCs offer endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy.

Lets just dissect this part:

1. Take on a wide variety of contracts and play your way: You never get to play your way or forge your own path....you have a choice, A: Fail and not get paid or B: Complete and get paid. Doubt this will change from the base game.

2. From diplomacy and commerce to lethal stealth and all-out combat: Diplomacy: Pick side A or B. Commerce: Deliver to A or B - dont get paid or fail at either.

3. Lethal stealth: Most likely cloaking that requires Matts or "Lucrative grind".

4. Diverse settings: Choose from grade E to A.

5. Objectives: Already explained per A or B.

6. Endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy: Same owl missions though on land, Choose A or B, Kill A or choose B and fail, Steal from A deliver to B, "A near Infinite" amount of content: Same content re rolled on land....

All i see is a smart and marketed way of advertising the same sub par content with no details, This whole title "Forge Your Own Path" has been taken away from players since Elite launched and i highly doubt anythng is going to change other going from doing what we do flying to doing the exact same things walking.

Its just going to be a slower moving mix of current ship and srv content that will be announced "Near infinite" times to eventually disappoint the only "Near infinite" thing i suspect is grind.

Last edited:
There have been oh so many good suggestions on the forum over the years that would each make the much vaunted "space legs" (eesh I hate that moniker) in Odyssey great, string a couple of them together and it could be awesome, but given the VR debacle, and the continued announcements of announcements, or the new one ANNOUNCING A POSSIBLE ANNOUNCEMENT - I am sadly expected to be disappointed. And yes, if I'm expecting to be disappointed, surely I won't be, but as a happy go lucky person, I doubt I can lower my expectations enough as to be pessimistic enough to be realistic.

On a brighter note, while I have been a vociferous opponent of FDev on this forum since they dropped the no-VR bombshell, I'd like to say I agree with @Davanix
Dont get me wrong I do not hold the community managers accountable their only told what they are told.....I feel sorry for them to be honest

I Genuinely believe @Arthur Tolmie is trying, but his efforts are being frustrated by the "powers that be". As such, I'd like to reiterate my thanks for him at least trying to get us the info we crave, specifically VR related stuff. I'd also like to clarify that there is a world of difference between being belligerent about the message, and beligerence towards the messenger, "don't shoot the messenger" etc.

'Arf tried to get us some info / clarification - we appreciate that.
'FDev denies 'Arf's request & maintains radio silence - we resent that.

You forgot to mention VR. :p

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
No I didn't. I just don't care about VR. :p

A Community Manager yesterday:
dEVS2.jpg

David Braben likes shooting things. Remember him imagining being a big game hunter on alien planets? Weird.

Edit:

Unfortunately we have heard "We will come back to that eventually" and you will be able to do this and that for nearly 6 years now of announcements of announcements and of their 10 year development cycle, 4 years left to add in most of what they said they are going to add...its not looking very good sadly adding to the fact the amount of content they completely ignore and may never fix or have running the way they should be....

You also got to remember their original budget with these statements in mind was 8m with Fdev already footing 6m of this budge, they actually exceeded initial budget by 4.3m franchise units , what is their return now so far on maybe 10% of what was stated Elite would be? Millions yet they have put more focus into later releases and titles more so than Elite. They went off with the money earned from Elite and made their dinosaur game which has made them millions, What have they put back in return? Announcements of very little sadly.

Lets put the below into perspective regarding the whole paintjob/needs funding defense which is what you hear most of the time from their report from 2019:

In financial year 2019 Frontier grew revenue by more than 160% and operating profit by nearly 600% representing record financial performance. This was delivered through the success of Jurassic World Evolution (June 2018) and the ongoing performance of Frontier’s first two self-published titles, Elite Dangerous (2014) and Planet Coaster (2016)

So lack of funding is not an issue, neither is staff as outlined below:

Each new release provides strong launch sales, while a combination of regular free and chargeable updates, together with active community support, ensures longevity of sales performance. Frontier is currently the UK’s largest independent studio and continues to grow. In the 12 months to 31 May 2019 Frontier recruited more than 120 people, growing headcount to over 460 staff in its Cambridge headquarters.

You can cycle back through all reports down until 2014 and they where never short of funding or manpower, Its lack of drive and assignment of manpower mixed with not listening to the community is the issue here, And frankly at this stage I am unsure whether Fdev even care and Brabens drive is gone as he is now just rolling in the cash with his new firm.

Last edited:

This seems like the best educated guess as to how Odyssey is going to be like. I still hope for better though.

Has anyone heard anything new on the Odyssey Update? Maybe I missed it, but I remember FDEV saying that they were going to start doing "Developer Notes" or some type of update (Live Stream) to ED community...that was supposed to start this month.

Frontier has hinted that something will be released sometime next week. Whether that is the actual Dev Diary or just another announcement of the actual Dev Diary is anyone's guess. But some information is supposedly coming our way sometime next week. Maybe. Soon?

I hope you're wrong but can't shake the fdev effort staying consistent with your presumptuous assessment!

Just like multi crew you'd expect playing together was the main focus and would be working. Space legs, prolly won't be able to walk on them? Better yet they'll add step modules 1_8 with walking limpets and cargo slots for pockets only purchasable by arx which will have the same mining debacle as we have for hotspots....and the dash will still be orange?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom