ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
First and foremost, that's gear VR, so not really a true VR headset, but a mobile 💩.

Secondly there are skilled players like @Katie Byrne and her husband who make your whole "opinion" laughable, but I can understand that ignorance is bliss for the VR uneducated like you. I mean some people also said that cows will lose milk if you build railroads in the wild west. There's always a speshial one who dislikes progress.

Thirdly you making a lot of enemies is just because you're in constant breach of Wheaton's law. And your "opinion" is of no consequence either. My condolences if it's hereditary.

Fourthly, get out of your parents' basement and get a job, because if you consider something in the $200-$400 range privileged, there's something completely wrong with your earning potential.

€200 - €400 is not something everyone can just put down for something frivolous. Also some of us may not have the proper hardware to run a VR headset. Which would require an even bigger investment.

So yeah, still a bit of a privilege ;)

€200 - €400 is not something everyone can just put down for something frivolous. Also some of us may not have the proper hardware to run a VR headset. Which would require an even bigger investment.

So yeah, still a bit of a privilege ;)
It's not EUR, it's dollars. Samsung Odyssey plus is often in the $200 range and it's a great headset for the price. And even if it were EUR plus our eu taxes, it's not an insurmountable sum you cannot save. If you can't, well, you have bigger problems than computer games.

Also can we please cut the poo poo with the NASA computer required to run VR? Because I was using it on i5-3570k with GTX 1070 since 2016. And the VR GPU minimum is even lower, with Maxwell lineup of cards (GTX 970). If you can run Elite in it's current state, chances are you're VR ready. If you can run latest games, chances are you're VR ready.

If you aren't VR ready you're overdue for a PC upgrade anyway, because it would indicate you're on a computer that's approximately eight years old.

Attachments

• aWm3ZB3_460swp-01.jpeg
    aWm3ZB3_460swp-01.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 190
  • DThGFl7XkAIBVEQ.jpg
    DThGFl7XkAIBVEQ.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 178
It's not EUR, it's dollars. Samsung Odyssey plus is often in the $200 range and it's a great headset for the price. And even if it were EUR plus our eu taxes, it's not an insurmountable sum you cannot save. If you can't, well, you have bigger problems than computer games.

Also can we please cut the poo poo with the NASA computer required to run VR? Because I was using it on i5-3570k with GTX 1070 since 2016. And the VR GPU minimum is even lower, with Maxwell lineup of cards (GTX 970). If you can run Elite in it's current state, chances are you're VR ready. If you can run latest games, chances are you're VR ready.

If you aren't VR ready you're overdue for a PC upgrade anyway, because it would indicate you're on a computer that's approximately eight years old.

For me to be VR ready I'd have to buy a game pc, which are not cheap ;) . Thus I play the game on my Xbox One.

Last edited:
Its funny when people who can afford things thinks everyone can. I've worked all my life too but still dont have the disposable income for a VR ready gaming pc and vr equipment. If i were to start saving for one now, by the time i could afford it, it would be outdated. Not everyone who works makes the same pay. Thats kind of a privileged way of thinking. Its a little insulting when those act like just because people cant afford something they dont work or are in some way slacking. Not everyone is given the same opportunities in life.

Its funny when people who can afford things thinks everyone can. I've worked all my life too but still dont have the disposable income for a VR ready gaming pc and vr equipment. If i were to start saving for one now, by the time i could afford it, it would be outdated. Not everyone who works makes the same pay. Thats kind of a privileged way of thinking 😉
You won't find me thinking that. It took me best part of 50 years of working to get what I have now, so don't begrudge me my enjoyment. Privileged! you don't know what you're talking about.

Its funny when people who can afford things thinks everyone can. I've worked all my life too but still dont have the disposable income for a VR ready gaming pc and vr equipment. If i were to start saving for one now, by the time i could afford it, it would be outdated. Not everyone who works makes the same pay. Thats kind of a privileged way of thinking. Its a little insulting when those act like just because people cant afford something they dont work or are in some way slacking. Not everyone is given the same opportunities in life.

Funny, the harder I work the luckier I seem to get. Loose the "privilege" thing Mick. Only privilege I have had is paying the bills and at times having held multiple jobs to do so. Dragged my butt through college working full time and school full time because I wanted to change my life and I worked hard for it. Oh, and my wife worked damn hard too. Change your mind to change your circumstances.

by the time i could afford it, it would be outdated
My second hand 1080Ti bought from a friend (but at real used GPU value, no discounts) disagrees with that sentence. With VR it's even easier. A Samsung Odyssey+ may be "outdated" but still offers IMHO best bang for the 200 bucks I saw it retail. I wouldn't advise buying OG VR headsets unless at a steep discount, however there are lots of players here on rift cv1 for example, og vive too. Why not buy into that, used? If you cannot afford it, you cannot have latest and greatest, so why complain about it being outdated by the time you saved $200?

Edit: saw that you also only have a console. Same thing as below applies. Buy used computer with older parts.

For me to be VR ready I'd have to buy a game pc, which are not cheap ;) . Thus I play the game on my Xbox One.
Oh that's tough. Xbox CEO doesn't like VR at all. Which is really funny because Xbox would push Microsoft's own WMR sky high, I think even better than PlayStation VR because you can plug and play WMR headsets to PC. So yeah, in your case it is also a cost of a PC. Still, you could buy a potato i5-4xxxx used for not a lot of money probably, but as you already have a console it makes little sense.

Last edited:
Indeed, the wealth inequality will not improve in the future, unfortunately.

And purchasing priorities are different for each person.

The VR as the games are futile and derisory when it comes to priority eating, paying bills ... :(

There are many people who are not poor but who have much more serious and priority financial imperatives.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Funny, the harder I work the luckier I seem to get. Loose the "privilege" thing Mick. Only privilege I have had is paying the bills and at times having held multiple jobs to do so. Dragged my butt through college working full time and school full time because I wanted to change my life and I worked hard for it. Oh, and my wife worked damn hard too. Change your mind to change your circumstances.
Also change the era, work is more and more difficult to find these days.

And there is a big development of precarious work.

The sharing of work and the equitable distribution of wealth are the solution of the future.

Working hard and indirectly taking another person's work deserves an overall view.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Sorry, but talking down to other people because of their financial situation is a duck move. And I think it's fair to also take PC hardware cost into account.

Those 200-400 dollars you mentioned, you know there are countries where this would be the average annual income?

Yes, being able to afford a VR rig is a privilege. Being able to buy a PC and play video games at all is already a privilege.

I don't enjoy bursting people's bubbles. But as a Founder Member of the Elite I already paid FD for everything years ago, and they know they don't have to deliver any of it because they already have my money, and there's nothing I can do about it but warn people who have yet to part with their money.

I don't disagree with some of the points you raised but wasn't that the deal from the start, they got your money first and what happened after was a gamble? That is the very nature of backing a venture like that.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom