ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
View attachment 175361

It's time to disembark, Commander.

We are delighted to share with you a glimpse of the Next Era - Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Explore distant worlds on foot, expand the frontier of known space and leave your mark on the galaxy as you become the first person in history to explore lands untouched since time began.

So you've disembarked, you're standing for the first time on an unexplored planet. What can you do next? Here's an overview of what you can look forward to in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

One Giant Leap

See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom.

Forge Your Own Path

Take on a wide variety of contracts and play your way, from diplomacy and commerce to lethal stealth and all-out combat. Diverse settings, objectives, and NPCs offer endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy.

Assemble Your Crew

Social hubs spread throughout the galaxy give Commanders the ideal place to plan their next move. Form alliances, procure services, and even find expert support in highly coveted Engineers. These public outposts also help you acquire and upgrade weapons and gear to perfect your playing style.

The Sphere of Combat

Experience intense first-person combat, kit out your character with an array of weapons and gear, and coordinate with teammates to master a multi-layered, deep, tactical environment where Commanders, SRVs and Starships converge.

From now until launch, we'll be sharing more information, developer diaries and trailers as we get ready to embark on this exciting new adventure!

You can wishlist RIGHT NOW over on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336350/Elite_Dangerous_Odyssey/

o7 Commanders

View attachment 175366 View attachment 175367
View attachment 175368 View attachment 175369
View attachment 175370 View attachment 175371

... Good morning! That looks PDG already!

:D S

Nonsense, VR adoption rate on Steam just overtook 4k. Loads of new hardware in development too.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure much more than 2% of Elite players have VR.

About the 4K, well it doesn't surprise me. A 4K monitor is expensive as biiiiiip. Not only you will need to pay an expensive monitor, but also the GPU that comes with it. A bit like VR.
New hardware in development? For gaming? Any source for that?

Las ttime I cheked there where projects on the works for game compatible VR, and nothing high end, as it would be required to play Odissey without a pucking bag at all times. ( who am I kidding, you'll puke even with a high end VR set).

Will odessey support VR?

No idea. At this point its all speculation.

But if it doesn't, don't worry, VR players will still be able to play Vanilla and Horizons.
And this bit of info might explain as to why not.

r2Jl6TD.png

I mean, Frontier's interest is to attract new costumers, not to pander to a portion of its playing community.

Many VR players will drop out of the game if its confirmed, and that is sad.
But chances are that they will gain WAY more players that simply don't care about VR.

Its sad to say, but at this point, with those numbers, VR for gaming is pretty much dead.

Not even Alyx could save it, pretty sure ED wont either.

Lol, no way man. You're a bit out of touch. Those numbers are deceiving. Between oculus quest success and HL alyx, VR is on a hard upswing.

ED Odyssey I assume will support VR as the base game already does. Whether or not the game will do full room scale is the question. However, if no man's sky can do it, I would image frontier has the skill and resources to do it.

Last edited:
Nonsense, VR adoption rate on Steam just overtook 4k. Loads of new hardware in development too.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure much more than 2% of Elite players have VR.

Yeah saying 2% of steam users use VR so FDEV shouldn't care when Elite was a game marketed on VR, used by many VR gamers, and likely has amuch higher percent of VR players then the entire PC gaming platform as a whole seems silly.

So do we think they meant to release this today, and just set the video to "public" a few minutes early, before the forum post was ready?

Or did they mean to upload something else (Fleet Carrier-related maybe) and posted the wrong video?

If the latter, I hope whoever it was in the community management team is getting their baws booted too hard over Zoom.

I don't really get the appeal of space legs...

Like you wouldn't really want to explore planets on foot, and im sure walking around inside your ship would loose its appeal quickly, these ships aren't that big
Not entirely on foot. But you may want to explore places that a ship or SRV can't get to, like the inside of alien bases, derelict ships that have been found out in the black, cave systems etc. I'm sure they are not expecting you to stop using your ship or SRV when space legs comes out.

I hope this comes with an overhaul of the netcode or even a proper client-server architecture. Otherwise, get ready for rubberbanding and instancing problems.. but now on the ground!

Lol, no way man. You're a bit out of touch. Those numbers are deceiving. Between oculus quest success and HL alyx, VR is on a hard upswing.

ED Odyssey I assume will support VR as the base game already does. Whether or not the game will do full room scale is the question. However, if no man's sky can do it, I would image frontier had the skill and resources to do it.

They do have the skill, and the know how. This much we know. The question is, is it worth it?
Dev time is expensive you know?

Bruh. I've been here since 2015 when the game first arrived on Xbox. Now on PC.

Nice try though, "Joined: Apr 11, 2020"

Now check my join date. I rest my case.
Joined frontier forum in april 2020 yes, not the game.
I'm playing since horizons too, so 2015.
So ok you are not new (i can be wrong) but you impresse me to still beleive in fdev. I would like to trust them and when they will release odyssey we will see it ;)

Interestingly the Steam page for Odyssey says that you need the base game "Elite Dangerous" to play it, it doesn't say that you need Horizons to play it. So how do you land on a planet if you don't have Horizons? Or are the two environments (Space and Land) not seamlessly integrated?

Interestingly the Steam page for Odyssey says that you need the base game "Elite Dangerous" to play it, it doesn't say that you need Horizons to play it. So how do you land on a planet if you don't have Horizons? Or are the two environments (Space and Land) not seamlessly integrated?

My guess, if you purchase Odyssey, you get Horizons free. (wich, at this point, is pretty much already free)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom