ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I hope there that not all content is aimed at combat only, and that explorers are not forgotten.

Me too, but in fairness the announcement talks about more things than combat.

"Take on a wide variety of contracts and play your way, from diplomacy and commerce to lethal stealth and all-out combat. Diverse settings, objectives, and NPCs offer endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy."

I've not yet landed on a planet with a blue sky. Anyone?
Ummm...
20190831211449_1.jpg

I may have cheated a little....

Yeah, personally ive quietly had reservations since DB did a video not that long ago where he questioned VR....

Yeah it's something I've been prepping for, purely because it's a such massive ask to 'do it right'. (Not so much due to the Brabes quote, he's been realistic about how niche VR is on a few occasions, and then they've gone on to implement it / maintain support anyway ;)).

I'm still gonna be mighty disappointed if they don't get it over at least an MVP line though :/

Earth-likes are a different paid major release. FD already 'basically' said that with David Braben's kickstarter discussions and early newsletters. It's a ton more work to add plants and animals and weather and gas giant gameplay in giant cloud-storms (which DB has also talked about). Everyone is entitled to an opinion but anyone saying Atmospheres are coming and thinking that means Earth-likes is just speculating and imho is dead wrong.

Your comment about living worlds being 1000x harder is correct. They also imply massive cities with weather effects and many NPC and traffic which is a whole other modelling and rendering performance and open world issue. Wild speculation that the FD team could make FPS gameplay and walking in buildings and releast Earth-like worlds in the same 2-year development sprint is imho laughable. "no way in hell". <- I'd be very happy to be wrong but it's unlikely.

I don't think anyone is thinking Earth-likes... Most people should know by now that it's barren worlds with atmospheres first, then the others to come later.
I'm happy to be wrong about that, though.

Not being funny here, but do you have any images of that because I have never seen the sky lit up like that? with no visible star field.

Unfortunately not at hand. But I've watched some explorer streams, and they found some places inside some nebula, which put a similar blue hue to the sky. Not the exactly same one, I have to admit, but similar enough that wouldn't consider it enough to confirm atmospheric flight.

Mind you, if we get atmospheric flight, perhaps even atmospheric biomes, i'll be quite happy. That part would interest me much more than any tacked on FPS module, no matter how good it would be. But within the scope of the announcement, I don't see anything like "atmosphere confirmed". For me it's more like people hoping that it also includes it.

They built an add-on to ED, not a FPS game..ED already exists. Also it's not just combat, there is also diplomacy and trade missions. Sure there will be combat too. All this does is make it a First person perspective play expansion, that is being added to Elite Dangerous, not a dedicated FPS standalone game. Read the blurb instead of cherry picking parts to boost your argument.

It's worth adding that ED is already a first person game. What they have added is the ability to move the camera while it's still associated to the player avatar, with some graphics on the bottom representing legs.

We were never our space ships.

Earth-likes are a different paid major release. FD already 'basically' said that with David Braben's kickstarter discussions and early newsletters. It's a ton more work to add plants and animals and weather and gas giant gameplay in giant cloud-storms (which DB has also talked about). Everyone is entitled to an opinion but anyone saying Atmospheres are coming and thinking that means Earth-likes is just speculating and imho is dead wrong.

Your comment about living worlds being 1000x harder is correct. They also imply massive cities with weather effects and many NPC and traffic which is a whole other modelling and rendering performance and open world issue. Wild speculation that the FD team could make FPS gameplay and walking in buildings and releast Earth-like worlds in the same 2-year development sprint is imho laughable. "no way in hell". <- I'd be very happy to be wrong but it's unlikely.
There's a way to make it a whole lot easier. In a realistic universe, "living" planets are logically going to be few in number. If there's indeed base building, simply make it possible to make player "habitats" that you can then collect flora and fauna from a living planet to keep in your habitat. So you only need a dozen or so different planets to have all the habitat customization on "dead" worlds you'd ever need.

Something I've always wondered is how they are going to make space legs controllable with a HOTAS...

The transition to space legs would be jarring enough in VR if it involved switching control methods, without having to switch display as well.

Get a cheap gamepad and map all fps controls to that, I do the same with my Scarab

So does it mean we will FINALLY be able to shoot right in their mouths the NPC? :) Personally idc about space lags and FPS but it will be fun just for that :ROFLMAO:.
For atmopsheric landing, as Fdev didn't mentionned it (or i missed it), guys pls remember beyond 3.something when you saw some thunders with a ship flying around and it was just a stellar phenomena. Just to say don't hope so much if they didn't mentionned it, remember FC :p

Unfortunately not at hand. But I've watched some explorer streams, and they found some places inside some nebula, which put a similar blue hue to the sky. Not the exactly same one, I have to admit, but similar enough that wouldn't consider it enough to confirm atmospheric flight.

Mind you, if we get atmospheric flight, perhaps even atmospheric biomes, i'll be quite happy. That part would interest me much more than any tacked on FPS module, no matter how good it would be. But within the scope of the announcement, I don't see anything like "atmosphere confirmed". For me it's more like people hoping that it also includes it.

It's literally confirmed in the very first scene of the trailer when they are approaching the planet. Shown me a nebula in game right now that is limited to only the gravitational influence of a planet and I'll concede it's up in the air.

My comment wasn't aimed directly at you, and was also hardly very serious... Just have a look through the thread and see how many people ask about the LEP. Happens every time an expansion gets mentioned. :)

Mate I don't like reading the other comments, well, not the ones that are bleating ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom