ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update:

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Not going to lie, I am a little disappointed at the lack of base building - not so much that it isn't in the next release, but that it isn't on the roadmap at all. It needn't bee anything spectacular or overly complex - but a few prefabricated designs that I can plop down on a planet somewhere would have been cool.

Still very excited about the rest of the announcement though!

Question: With Odyssey are we going to be able to land on a greater variety of planets - and if so, will these planets have atmospheric hazards (heat / strong winds/ volcanic eruptions, etc) ?

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

Will the Ships have fully accessible interiors we can Walk around in???

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Thanks for the info Tim. Can you confirm that the walking around part is not VR compatible? Or are you saying VR will be removed form the game completely? The latter will obviously cause some major issues for some. I wouldn't like to be stuck with just CQC for this VR space sim experience.

As long as I can fly down to these planets, or roam around in an SRV, then all good. I'll just switch to big screen for the on foot stuff.

Cheers

Last edited:
One can certainly interpret it that way, but I wouldn't call it unambiguous. The wording still leaves room to interpret it as the first chapter of New Era. Or even a glimpse of Next Era: ;)

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me to call the whole DLC now "Next Era - Elite Dangerous: Odyssey". Looks unnecessarily clumpy to me and also isn't in line with the style of other update titles from the past. At least not for main DLCs that the New Era is certainly meant to be. I'd really like to hear some clarification about it from the devs...
I think New Era was just the term fdev used in recent years when they hadn't settled on a snappy title :)

As a VR-only player, I'm actually OK with this, since I've been pretty concerned about how seamless the control scheme and overall experience might be. But it still leaves an associated question-- Will the game seamlessly or automatically toggle to 2D when I want to step out of the ship? Because I still want to fly in VR.

Thanks for the info Tim. Can you confirm that the walking around part is not VR compatible? Or are you saying VR will be removed form the game completely? The latter will obviously cause some major issues for some. I wouldn't like to be stuck with just CQC for this VR space sim experience.

As long as I can fly down to these planets, or roam around in an SRV, then all good. I'll just switch to big screen for the on foot stuff.

Cheer
This is the most important part of the question.

Definately, Myself and my husband wouldn't go back to monitor only and I'm fine with not buying Odyssey. Will the current content still support VR?

And NPC SRVs???

I'm a bit of a loner in this game -- I play open but alone, and always find the social aspect of cooperative play a bit too much like pressure that takes away from my fun -- but I really would like to do some ground combat against non-player enemies.

I suspect the problem may lie in doing NPC path-finding across procedurally generated terrain (and add in variable gravity and surface grip). Adding hovering skimmers was an easier way out. They probably could get it working so-so with minimal effort, but seeing NPCs getting stuck on a rock or in a hollow or driving off cliffs after a while might get more negative feedback than not having them in there at all.

But I'm 100% with you. Unmanned drones might make logical sense, and be easier to code, but aren't nearly as fun as Mad-Max-esque combat across planetary surfaces.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom