ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Tim
Can you clarify Frontiers position regarding VR please?

, With the new Cobra engine additions and elite dangerous Code refresh, are Frontier removing VR entirely for all expansions?
2, Or, stating that ““Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch”” are the developers intending to add VR support at a later date?

Thanks in advance

Flimley

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7
Well here is some negative for ya. No VR No money. Drop VR from horizons and it's game over till ya put it back in. It boils down to this No VR and your game is dead to me.

NO interiors (ships, stations, buildings etc).
Transition to on-foot on planet surface is via black screen, like with SRV atm.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/elite-dangerous-shooter,3358458.html
While you are able to, for instance, explore space stations or even the inside of the ships in Star Citizen, Elite players will only be able to stretch their legs on planets for the time being. Nonetheless a big step forwards.
You are welcome.

Thanks. It makes sense, I think, to get the on-foot exploration & combat done before tackling all the internal modelling that'd need to be done for ships/stations etc.

Has that been confirmed officially though?

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

Useful information thank you. I hope community questions will continue to be answered this promptly going forward, with adequate justification for the answers provided.

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

Just to add to this, VR will still be compatible with the base game and Horizons!

I don't think this is an engine issue. They are marketing FPS gameplay and attracting new customers, I honestly think it would be pants in VR unless done properly. I can understand why some would want it shoehorned in, but it wouldn't look good from a marketing perspective.

Let see what they say about flying through atmospheres etc
Thing is NMS managed it and it works really really well, hobbiests managed to add it in to doom 3 and NOLF.
If a bedroom Dev can do it without knowing the code inside out, and a small team like NMS Devs can do it and do a full implementation of it as well way more than I would expect from FD, then it can be done....

And history shows us from FDs point not at launch means not any time soon. Only 1 SRV at launch, noulticrew SRV at launch, no NPC wingmates at launch, no NPC multicrew at launch.
Launch is potentially 10-12 months away still. If they know now Vr won't make the cut then that means to me it likely never will.
Had we been a month away and up until that point FD said VR was being worked on, then a month from launch we were told it was being held back I would not be too concerned... But that is not the case here. Oh well. I guess the question now will be if there is ANY VR support at all or if the new plenetary tech means we are stuffed. In which case oculus should pull it from sale.

Edit. Ok so base game will still support it for now so that is a small comfort

Base Building ........ but .... but .... 'the leak' said you would have it ! (So did the text hastily withdrawn from the web site page) . Not that I'm bothered, I will just have to sell ice creams at the Station.

Is there any possibility that one of y'all could elaborate, even in a very general manner, on what this experience would be like for someone who plays in VR full time? I know it's too early for a lot of details, but essentially I'm curious whether my VR flying experience would be affected by this change or not. If I sit down to fly like I do now, will there be moments in normal daily gameplay where I would need to remove my headset to walk around in space legs, or will space legs be separated enough that someone like me could have a gameplay session of all of flying in VR without worrying about it, followed by perhaps another session of all space legs for FPS gameplay, etc.

If I wish to continue to play ED as a VR game, will the new content be so intermixed in with the current content that I will no longer be able to do that without suffering a serious disadvantage (similar to if someone from base game tried to ignore Engineering), or will the two be separate enough that I could essentially treat them as different gameplay modes without negative consequences to my normal gameplay?

VR Support.

There may be a safety issue with this - kids throwing themselves out of windows while wearing headsets, though it hasn't been reported with NMS so far !

But what about the Asp Scout* update Tim?- I've waited years and its been a hard time here in my little room with only Wilson for company

1591284077590.png

*You know what I mean

Will head-tracking continue to be supported? Not sure I'd continue playing without that.

If it still supports head-tracking and an XBox controller in 2D, then there is no technical reason that it couldn't support VR. I'd be more than happy having my VR view and head-look and using a controller.

But in the short-term, I'd just like confirmation that I'll still be able to play Horizons in VR. That'll be enough to keep me playing. But without that...

Edit: And I'm pleased to say that has just been confirmed. :) Phew!

I was expecting this but it still feels pretty sad to hear it confirmed. :( Still looking forward to playing.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom