ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah, HOTAS on desk, M & KB behind. It's the fact that I can't see anything in the real world. I'm not good enough to type with the headset on so if I want to type...I end up taking it off. It's one reason I don't play VR all the time. I also knock the stick sometimes by accident when reaching for the mouse, with a bit of awkward craning. And like I said, if we're talking FPS-esque gameplay in VR I want to be standing up - tough to do without taking off the headset. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't workarounds and things you can do but ultimately having something on your head that means you can't see the real world is an additional bit of awkwardness compared to not having it on whenever any kind of transition in input method is needed.
For sure!
Can't argue with that.

I am happy to play FPSs sat down though. (Though, like you said, VR shooters are defo better standing!) I just did a makeshift test and I think it would never take longer than a couple of seconds or so to find WASD and the mouse, I don't need to see M&K to play shooters after that. But that's because I am best FPSer in the whole entire world!

For sure!
Can't argue with that.

I am happy to play FPSs sat down though. (Though, like you said, VR shooters are defo better standing!) I just did a makeshift test and I think it would never take longer than a couple of seconds or so to find WASD and the mouse, I don't need to see M&K to play shooters after that. But that's because I am best FPSer in the whole entire world!
I agree, I can't see moving from one controller to another is that hard and shouldn't be a reason for stopping VR. I'd be more than happy to park my headset for flat screen FPS, it's just seconds.

I agree, I can't see moving from one controller to another is that hard and shouldn't be a reason for stopping VR. I'd be more than happy to park my headset for flat screen FPS, it's just seconds.

Not quite what I was talking about.

The point was never about switching from VR to 2D, it was about switching from VR ship/srv and VR on-foot/FPS. If you have to take off your VR headset you've introduced an inconvenience that not everyone is content with. You might be, but I think it's fair to say that you are a diehard. Not everyone is so determined. As for "stopping VR" I'm certainly not suggesting that VR should be "stopped", only that FD are likely to take the path of least resistance and it's more useful to encourage solidarity amongst players to help convince them there's an option that makes enough people happy at hopefully an acceptable level of development effort.

Not quite what I was talking about.

The point was never about switching from VR to 2D, it was about switching from VR ship/srv and VR on-foot/FPS. If you have to take off your VR headset you've introduced an inconvenience that not everyone is content with. You might be, but I think it's fair to say that you are a diehard. Not everyone is so determined. As for "stopping VR" I'm certainly not suggesting that VR should be "stopped", only that FD are likely to take the path of least resistance and it's more useful to encourage solidarity amongst players to help convince them there's an option that makes enough people happy at hopefully an acceptable level of development effort.
I've also seen it mentioned that having a VR version that required taking the headset off for part of the game would prevent them being able to (or wanting to) present it as a VR title. In that situation I imagine the best we might get would be an experimental steam build or similar, not an official VR version. Thats ... probably not the fdev way, really.

If they could find a way to do it I'd be delighted.

In my part of the country : Barlinnie Cornton Vale.

I like it.
Now that is a name to conjure with...
I'd be tempted to have a female Bounty Hunter type from that name, it just 'feels' right... Maybe when Odyssey drops I'll get a fresh full version and start another 'new' character.
By then I should have completed my triple triple :)

ETA: Wow - I thought Wayland prison was depressing! Barlinnie is even more so :)

Last edited:
Congratulations to VR users, you did so much better than macOS users when it came to keeping it going:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom