ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This is what I meant. VR will not be supported for the experiences that Odessey brings e.g. first person activities. I see no reason why they would scrap VR for the base game or vehicular activities in general (SRV).

Of course, we don't know anything for sure, but the language put forth so far leads me to believe that the base game and Horizons should be fine.
Oh yeah, agreed, it's explicitly been said that VR will still work for base and horizons.

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf
Arf, sincerely thank you.

I think you're just what the community team needed. It feels like you have asked more questions and have said more to us than most of the others in team and it really feels like you're listening.

You're very much appreciated right now, by me at least.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is what I meant. VR will not be supported for the experiences that Odessey brings e.g. first person activities. I see no reason why they would scrap VR for the base game or vehicular activities in general (SRV).

Of course, we don't know anything for sure, but the language put forth so far leads me to believe that the base game and Horizons should be fine.
I'm pretty sure when they mean Odyssey, they mean the Odyssey client, not just the very specific parts of Odyssey that's new. So in the launcher, you will have Elite Dangerous, which is VR compatible, ED Horizons which is VR compatible and ED Odyssey which is not VR compatible.

I very much doubt they will make parts of the ED Odyssey client VR compatible, that's just going to confuse things. It's got to be either all compatible or not at all.

I'm pretty sure when they mean Odyssey, they mean the Odyssey client, not just the very specific parts of Odyssey that's new. So in the launcher, you will have Elite Dangerous, which is VR compatible, ED Horizons which is VR compatible and ED Odyssey which is not VR compatible.

I very much doubt they will make parts of the ED Odyssey client VR compatible, that's just going to confuse things. It's got to be either all compatible or not at all.
Excuse me, where was it written or shown that the astronauts in the Odyssey would be in first person? Could it be just a side view ?

Excuse me, where was it written or shown that the astronauts in the Odyssey would be in first person? Could it be just a side view ?
Irrelevant. As they have said, Base game and horizons are VR compatible. Odyssey isn't. That is the client that they are talking about.

They won't be selling an expansion that has partial VR compatibility. It either has to be all VR or not at all. To do otherwise would be foolish.

From steam page:

The Sphere of Combat
Experience intense first-person combat, kit out your character with an array of weapons and gear, and coordinate with teammates to master a multi-layered, deep, tactical environment where Commanders, SRVs and Starships converge.

If you don't care about legs, then you don't really need the expansion. Don't buy it. Keep playing the game you have.
Whilst I would love the full shebang in VR you are still ignoring a big gap in the middle. I could tolerate all in ship stuff Inc the new planets in SRVs with the game then swapping to big screen mode when you get out of your ship.
Mechanically that covers all bases with a view to then improving the feet features in VR if they can later. The no compromise, we do it perfect or we don't do it at all is a great sound bite but has NEVER been a feature of elite.
It sounds hollow to me just like lacking certain eye candy feature because it's not realistic and them implementing engineers as wizards with lasers of healing , and magic pockets to store lumps of iron and sulphur whichbfornsome reason you can't buy.

Not having a pop at Arthur or anyone else individually.... But I just don't think the no compromise comment is true.

PS in vehicle VR and out of vehicle bigscreen 2D WOULD still be full VR in my view even if some of that in VR content more of how vr is with the Xbox 1

Last edited:

Arthur Tolmie

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Thank you for asking, and not forgetting!
Arf, sincerely thank you.

I think you're just what the community team needed. It feels like you have asked more questions and have said more to us than most of the others in team and it really feels like you're listening.

You're very much appreciated right now, by me at least.

Thanks!
Appreciate the kind words - thank you!

-Arf

Appreciate the kind words - thank you!

-Arf

Well, thank you for being forthright in wanting to put our views and questions to the developers- the last two years have suffered from a lot of inconsistent communication and its great to see a pro-active stance again. I know you can only relay what you are told, but (for a better way to put it) its nice to have someone willing to ask and keep on asking.

Whilst I would love the full shebang in VR you are still ignoring a big gap in the middle. I could tolerate all in ship stuff Inc the new planets in SRVs with the game then swapping to big screen mode when you get out of your ship.
Mechanically that covers all bases with a view to then improving the feet features in VR if they can later. The no compromise, we do it perfect or we don't do it at all is a great sound bite but has NEVER been a feature of elite.
It sounds hollow to me just like lacking certain eye candy feature because it's not realistic and them implementing engineers as wizards with lasers of healing , and magic pockets to store lumps of iron and sulphur whichbfornsome reason you can't buy.

Not having a pop at Arthur or anyone else individually.... But I just don't think the no compromise comment is true.

PS in vehicle VR and out of vehicle bigscreen 2D WOULD still be full VR in my view even if some of that in VR content more of how vr is with the Xbox 1
That's why I've asked for a Horizons Plus Client for VR users that own both horizons and Odyssey. The horizons plus client will allow you to land and drive around on the planets from both expansions in VR. If you want to do the legs part, you would have to log into the Odyssey client.

Big screen maybe problematic. Does Oculus have an equivalent, if not, then I doubt they will go down that route.

Personally I would happily pay for a proper all inclusive VR version of all parts of the game.

I think PCs that work well with Basic ED and Horizon will be good for Odyssey.

Odyssey will be available for the current consoles, so it will probably be good for the current PCs.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation

I think PCs that work well with Basic ED and Horizon will be good for Odyssey.

Odyssey will be available for the current consoles, so it will probably be good for the current PCs.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation

Hmm, good points.

On the one hand, it would be good to keep my current config without having to splash the cash on new components... but then again, with 10tth gen i9's like the 10900K, the Ryzen 3990X and the upcoming RTX3080ti, it would be great to see ED's next iteration make use of the tech.

Thanks for this Arf!

Does the above mean that there is some active skunkwork experimentation going on? Or just more discussion of options?

Cheers,
Gol
It means my fellow dog is trapped between his internal and external clients.

@Arthur Tolmie: Pre-pandemic, it was common for corporate to roll out changes, have the changes melt every network switch in the building, and have IT management telling the employees watching the fire in the parking lot that the desktop techs were to blame.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom