ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
For those of us who were fighting for VR for atmospherics... WE WON! The new planets are going to work in VR! Legs will go to pancake mode within the VR headset. I don't know about you guys... but this is a huge win for me!
Not sure if we won or if FD were planning this all along but either way this is the best news for ED since that fateful day a few months ago where we were told to assume no VR in ED:O at launch.

All irrelephant to me now as I've chucked my Rift. Not going to be forced into getting a Facebook account for anyone.

I'll eventually get around to looing at non-Facebook alrternatives, but it's not high on the list at the moment.

All irrelephant to me now as I've chucked my Rift. Not going to be forced into getting a Facebook account for anyone.

I'll eventually get around to looing at non-Facebook alrternatives, but it's not high on the list at the moment.
Can't say that I blame you.

I would take a closer look at the HP Reverb G2 which is releasing within a month. You'll need a reasonably beefy GPU as it features 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye (RGB stripe) with 9.3 million pixels (so factor 2.5 over e.g. the Rift S).

From the early hands-on's it appears that it will provide a very crisp picture at a reasonable price for the package and easy to set up given it has inside-out tracking.

For my part I use the Valve Index (my fifth helmet) in 200% super sampling with a 1080 TI. Now I am waiting for the RTX 3090 TI and the first feedback on the Pimax 8K X, otherwise since this very good news from ED I am playing ELITE again, they made the right decision because in 2021 we will have the arrival of the real 2nd generation of VR headset.

I would take a closer look at the HP Reverb G2 which is releasing within a month. You'll need a reasonably beefy GPU as it features 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye (RGB stripe) with 9.3 million pixels (so factor 2.5 over e.g. the Rift S).

From the early hands-on's it appears that it will provide a very crisp picture at a reasonable price for the package and easy to set up given it has inside-out tracking.
I have a reverb and it is great . And they say the G2 is much better I have one on pre order.

I'll add that to my shopping list. G2 is cheaper than the G1, I see.

I'm in the process of pricing up new Processor/Motherboard/RAM at the moment (guess who bought MSFS2020 ;)), and then it'll be an RTX3070 when they're widely available. THEN I'll be able to support a decent HMD. Hopefully in time for Odyssey but I doubt I'll see a 3070 this side of Christmas.

That's if I get my finger out. I keep putting it off as I havent built a machine in about six years and it's become a scary prospect for me.

So I'm looking forward to Odyssey in early 2021, which presumably is before the end of March. However, this is about 6 months away.

In the meantime I've decided to go exploring, taking a long route in my carrier. I break up the trip by doing some mining, some of it for fuel, some of it to collect raw materials for trinkets. What motivated me to write this? Well, I'm just like "Oh god, can I take any more of this".

A few moons ago, there were a series of patches to address the mining exploits that had been milked beyond everyone's expectations, to the point of some exploit with a fighter which just seemed rediculous. Anyway, and I quote from https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.com/category/patch-notes/

Mining
An issue which allowed launching a fighter to restore sub-surface deposits on asteroids was fixed.
A bug with material distribution in overlapping hotspots was fixed and hotspost themselves we rebalanced. Now, the effect that each hotspot has on the base rarity of a commodity has been doubled. To counter this, hotspots of the same type which overlap will be less effective. The aim of thsese changes is to reduce the massive impact of overlapping hotspots while still ensuring they provide a higher yield than non-overlapping hotspots.

Firstly, as hopefully FDev are aware, this patch failed. Case in point, I am 6000 LY from the bubble, mining in a previously undiscovered icy ring. I've visited 2 x VO, and 1 x GND hotspots. Yes, so a couple of problems here.

1. The PWA is absurdly broken. You can sit there pulsing away just 5km from the centre of the hotspot, and it's a case of "We hit NOTHINGGGGGGGG.". Internet lore revealed that turning my ship 180 degrees will magically make stuff appear. It does.
2. But that's also useless. In all the hotspots I've visited, I've found ZERO cores of the hotspot resource type.

So the patch efforts in July have failed. And before anyone even thinks "But you can make money with painite etc", I'm not trying to make money. I've got enough right now.

But, lost in this sea of debate about mechanics is the importance of, wait for it .... FUN.

I would have been happy finding a core every 10 minutes, honestly I would. But finding F.A repeatedly is not fun. The concept appears to somewhat lost. Explorers are playing the game as Frontier would like - going out into the void, finding strange new worlds and civilisations, going bodly where, you know. So these players have another 6 months of knowing that exploring is great, but having fun mining is off the menu. That's been very effective at squishing my enthusiasm. I'm not saying I'm going to start playing a FUN space exploration game when it comes out, but it's a real big possibility. I mean, in the past 12 months I've played Skyrim for the first time, and Doom 2016 for the second time. And my god - these games are FUN.

Dear Frontier - running Fun Reduction Initiatives for players who aren't milking exploits and taking the p*ss, really goes a long way to alienating players and potential buyers of Odyssey. I've sunk god knows (actually I do know) how many hours into ED, and Frontier, and Elite because I'm an old . And I have to say, I'm really not into this apparent normalisation of just letting players make do with broken features that were FUN, now being just "Oh god, can I take any more of this". I mean, it must be bad. Look at the size of this post. What is wrong with this guy?

So I plead with Frontier, for the love of everything that is sacred in the gaming industry, if anything is actually left - please fix this issue. PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!

I don't want another 6 months of broken key features in the game. Nobody does. All these people you hope are going to buy Odyssey are going to be less inclined to buy it. Competition in the space exploration simulator arena is going to heat up, we all know this. Therefore, why chance it with your player base? It makes absolutely no sense.

DEEP BREATH EVERYONE - SECONDARY RANT COMING UP

Reflecting on this whole mining debacle, what I have realised is that mining is probably in it's terminally broken state (i.e. mining = painite laser boredom kill me now), due to the scale of exploitation we've seen. Every single way possible to circumvent the game mechanics has been used, from relogging, to this absurd fighter exploit, and masses of players going to the same hotspot or same rock even, to mine a seemingly inexhaustible resource - again totally absurd.

Frontier - I have to question the wisdom of going after one group of players who are taking the p*ss, to the detriment of a key feature of the game - thereby breaking it for absolutely everyone. Some forethought would have helped here. Instead we've had numerous patches designed to stop the mining exploits, or limit them. With one problem. The end result has been a mining experience more broken than ever, for everyone. It's what you seem intent on leaving until Odyssey comes out, some 6 months from now.

In Odyssey please shore up the mechanics such that FUN is not deleted from experiences which you feel are being exploited by certain players. All that effort has gone into patches to just leave mining an absolute mess. Can you really afford to waste money and effort this way? Maybe you can, I have no idea, but honestly it's the kind of thing that is setting Frontier apart from other game studios, and I don't mean that in a good way. Also I don't want to be all British and passive about this - it's really a tale of woe, and by that I mean woeful patches.

I really want to stay with this game despite the increasing competition, but this just really made something snap. Some kind of FUN threshold was exceeded so much that I spent my time writing this litany.

Last edited:
So I'm looking forward to Odyssey in early 2021, which presumably is before the end of March. However, this is about 6 months away.

In the meantime I've decided to go exploring, taking a long route in my carrier. I break up the trip by doing some mining, some of it for fuel, some of it to collect raw materials for trinkets. What motivated me to write this? Well, I'm just like "Oh god, can I take any more of this".

A few moons ago, there were a series of patches to address the mining exploits that had been milked beyond everyone's expectations, to the point of some exploit with a fighter which just seemed rediculous. Anyway, and I quote from https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.com/category/patch-notes/

Mining
An issue which allowed launching a fighter to restore sub-surface deposits on asteroids was fixed.
A bug with material distribution in overlapping hotspots was fixed and hotspost themselves we rebalanced. Now, the effect that each hotspot has on the base rarity of a commodity has been doubled. To counter this, hotspots of the same type which overlap will be less effective. The aim of thsese changes is to reduce the massive impact of overlapping hotspots while still ensuring they provide a higher yield than non-overlapping hotspots.

Firstly, as hopefully FDev are aware, this patch failed. Case in point, I am 6000 LY from the bubble, mining in a previously undiscovered icy ring. I've visited 2 x VO, and 1 x GND hotspots. Yes, so a couple of problems here.

1. The PWA is absurdly broken. You can sit there pulsing away just 5km from the centre of the hotspot, and it's a case of "We hit NOTHINGGGGGGGG.". Internet lore revealed that turning my ship 180 degrees will magically make stuff appear. It does.
2. But that's also useless. In all the hotspots I've visited, I've found ZERO cores of the hotspot resource type.

So the patch efforts in July have failed. And before anyone even thinks "But you can make money with painite etc", I'm not trying to make money. I've got enough right now.

But, lost in this sea of debate about mechanics is the importance of, wait for it .... FUN.

I would have been happy finding a core every 10 minutes, honestly I would. But finding F.A repeatedly is not fun. The concept appears to somewhat lost. Explorers are playing the game as Frontier would like - going out into the void, finding strange new worlds and civilisations, going bodly where, you know. So these players have another 6 months of knowing that exploring is great, but having fun mining is off the menu. That's been very effective at squishing my enthusiasm. I'm not saying I'm going to start playing a FUN space exploration game when it comes out, but it's a real big possibility. I mean, in the past 12 months I've played Skyrim for the first time, and Doom 2016 for the second time. And my god - these games are FUN.

Dear Frontier - running Fun Reduction Initiatives for players who aren't milking exploits and taking the p*ss, really goes a long way to alienating players and potential buyers of Odyssey. I've sunk god knows (actually I do know) how many hours into ED, and Frontier, and Elite because I'm an old . And I have to say, I'm really not into this apparent normalisation of just letting players make do with broken features that were FUN, now being just "Oh god, can I take any more of this". I mean, it must be bad. Look at the size of this post. What is wrong with this guy?

So I plead with Frontier, for the love of everything that is sacred in the gaming industry, if anything is actually left - please fix this issue. PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!

I don't want another 6 months of broken key features in the game. Nobody does. All these people you hope are going to buy Odyssey are going to be less inclined to buy it. Competition in the space exploration simulator arena is going to heat up, we all know this. Therefore, why chance it with your player base? It makes absolutely no sense.

DEEP BREATH EVERYONE - SECONDARY RANT COMING UP

Reflecting on this whole mining debacle, what I have realised is that mining is probably in it's terminally broken state (i.e. mining = painite laser boredom kill me now), due to the scale of exploitation we've seen. Every single way possible to circumvent the game mechanics has been used, from relogging, to this absurd fighter exploit, and masses of players going to the same hotspot or same rock even, to mine a seemingly inexhaustible resource - again totally absurd.

Frontier - I have to question the wisdom of going after one group of players who are taking the p*ss, to the detriment of a key feature of the game - thereby breaking it for absolutely everyone. Some forethought would have helped here. Instead we've had numerous patches designed to stop the mining exploits, or limit them. With one problem. The end result has been a mining experience more broken than ever, for everyone. It's what you seem intent on leaving until Odyssey comes out, some 6 months from now.

In Odyssey please shore up the mechanics such that FUN is not deleted from experiences which you feel are being exploited by certain players. All that effort has gone into patches to just leave mining an absolute mess. Can you really afford to waste money and effort this way? Maybe you can, I have no idea, but honestly it's the kind of thing that is setting Frontier apart from other game studios, and I don't mean that in a good way. Also I don't want to be all British and passive about this - it's really a tale of woe, and by that I mean woeful patches.

I really want to stay with this game despite the increasing competition, but this just really made something snap. Some kind of FUN threshold was exceeded so much that I spent my time writing this litany.
I'm an '84er and a Founder backer and I used to work on long well-reasoned posts like yours, calling for specific minor improvements to the game to make it more fun. You just invite trolls whose idea of fun is to argue that everything you say is wrong, and who often become abusive when you refute them. No one's really listening.

Save yourself the effort in future; just assume that everything FD adds to the game is a minimal placeholder to pull in more money from the player base, to invest in other games to pull in more money from other player bases.

I'm an '84er and a Founder backer and I used to work on long well-reasoned posts like yours, calling for specific minor improvements to the game to make it more fun. You just invite trolls whose idea of fun is to argue that everything you say is wrong, and who often become abusive when you refute them. No one's really listening.

Save yourself the effort in future; just assume that everything FD adds to the game is a minimal placeholder to pull in more money from the player base, to invest in other games to pull in more money from other player bases.
You don't think that is overly cynical at all?

I agree, though I wouldn't call having to sit for 40 minutes waiting for my own fuel scoop, or cargo rack to be shipped to me a "minimal place holder". I'm sure the same people who trolled you on the improvements you suggested are the same ones that wanted these timers....that happens to ruin about 70% of the game for me because it was so poorly implemented.

You don't think that is overly cynical at all?

I don't....that's why I don't really bother making suggestions as much. You all will get the game you deserve.

MJaqa7s.jpg

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom