Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Interface and NPCs

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
ED_Starport_Screen_4_small.jpg

o7 Commanders!

We’re back with a brand new selection of answers from developer Gareth Hughes to your Elite Dangerous: Odyssey questions.

This week we’ll be covering the topics of Interface changes and NPCs.

Interface

Q: Will night vision, or a light be available on the HUD?
You will be able to upgrade suits in many ways, night vision and lights are just two of the upgrades available. More on this in the future. All suits have a torch by default though so you’ll always have some way to see.

Q: Does the player’s radar show players and NPC's before combat? If so, do they change to indicate relationship?
Yes, much like in space the RADAR displays information regarding players around them and their current state.

Q: Can we officially call the 2nd icon in on the display "Tigger mode"?
Yes! Bounces away

Q: Will the HUD be customisable? (I.e. different colours for the visually impaired)
The interface won’t be customisable for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey though we will of course be taking feedback on board regarding accessibility.

Q: Can players turn parts, or all of their HUD off?
No, the HUD whilst on foot, will be as essential to getting around as it is in space.

Q: Can we hide from other player’s radar?
We are still in the process of reviewing how PVP and the HUD will work so we can’t confirm an answer on that just yet.

Odyssey NPCS

Q: Will we be able to use NPCs as a team in Combat? Or just other players?
Combat zones will be a mix of both computer AI characters and players on both sides.

Q. Do on foot NPCs spawn per instance or is there some sort of permanence, if so is it timed like space POIs or permanent?
Settlement AI is spawned based on the settlement theme and state. Star system factors will also affect the AI difficulty, so the BGS can also have an effect.

Q. Does oxygen level impact combat ability and does this apply to NPCs as well?
If your suit loses power, its life support will shut down causing the suits emergency air supply to be used. If the emergency air is fully depleted then you will start to asphyxiate, making aiming and locomotion more difficult. Loss of suit power will also stop you from using your assisted jump and your audio will change, lowering awareness of what is happening around you.

This does not affect AI as they will use consumable batteries to recharge their suit when required.

Q. How does energy level impact combat ability, is it just about your shield generator and do NPCs have the same energy constraint too?
Energy levels are critical to combat as this powers your shields. This supply is not infinite so know when and where to activate your shields will be key.

Q. Can NPCs get into NPC vehicles or ships for combat or are those treated separately?
On-foot NPCs do not get into vehicles. They can deploy from dropships.

Q. Do on foot NPCs chase you?
Yes, if given reason NPC’s will pursue you!

Q. Is combat AI scripted for the new settlements or is the AI clever enough to adapt itself to open terrain or other obstacles?
AI will actively investigate areas, report findings, use cover and communicate to call reinforcements.

Q. Any information on the scope of line of sight for the AI?
AI line of sight will be governed the same way the player's is.

Q: Will NPC's engage in combat without player input?
If you are wanted – NPC may engage you without provocation.

Q: Will Oxygen levels affect NPCs?
AI will not be affected by Oxygen levels the same way a player is.

Q: Will NPC's have different states depending on the time of combat (i.e. Will they be asleep if a player attacks at night)?
NPCs won’t have time of day states, so they’ll be ready to fight back no matter what time of day.

Q. Will we see ground combat between NPC factions like we do in Conflict Zones?
Yes, conflict zones will be a mix of AI and players.

Q. Will you consider adding Superpower navy armours for ground combat (i.e. NPCs wearing imperial/federal uniforms/armour, or such armour being available to players)? It could prove to be a very potent world-building tool.
We are always looking at what customisation option players would like to see in game.

Q: Will there also be some kind of on-foot System Authorities?
Yes – OMNIPOL – they are often kitted out with the best gear, so if they turn up make sure it’s not for you!

That’s it for this week. We’ll be back next week with a new set of answers for your Odyssey questions!

o7

Q: Can we hide from other player’s radar?
We are still in the process of reviewing how PVP and the HUD will work so we can’t confirm an answer on that just yet.

As not to be Mr Poopy Pants, should this sort of thing be decided by players via testing and / discussions with players now?

a lot of great answers here!

I would like to know why NPC's are not constrained the same way players are. it seems a bit unfair.
Humans are always going to have and advantage over AI in pure combat/tactical ability so I imagine its to balance things out a little the other way.

Having said that, I would really like to see how much of an issue it is in actually play first though, but I dont think it will be a bug issue.

Thanks for the answers.

OMNIPOL, like it :D

😂

Very interesting answers and new informations! Thank you, Team!
But this one (two exactly) looks unfair.

Q. Does oxygen level impact combat ability and does this apply to NPCs as well?
If your suit loses power, its life support will shut down causing the suits emergency air supply to be used. If the emergency air is fully depleted then you will start to asphyxiate, making aiming and locomotion more difficult. Loss of suit power will also stop you from using your assisted jump and your audio will change, lowering awareness of what is happening around you.

This does not affect AI as they will use consumable batteries to recharge their suit when required.

Q. Do on foot NPCs chase you?
Yes, if given reason NPC’s will pursue you!

So If you make some mess in the settlement and NPC will pursue you and you will decide to be funny guy and run on foot and make a laugh "you will never get me, you will never get me", he will always get you, because you will loose power and oxygen and pursuer will not.

Q. Can NPCs get into NPC vehicles or ships for combat or are those treated separately?
On-foot NPCs do not get into vehicles. They can deploy from dropships.
Kinda disappointing given that games like Halo CE have had this from 2001. But perhaps there were other reasons for it than AI capability?

Q. Any information on the scope of line of sight for the AI?
AI line of sight will be governed the same way the player's is.
I don't follow, what does that mean? Player LOS is governed by which way the player is facing + our actual human eyes seeing something on the screen. How does it work for AI? e.g. In a game like Arma, AI LOS uses raycasting to "see", which can sometimes lead to them spotting people through a tiny gap in trees. Of course, not relevant to ED:O.

But how will spotting work at range? Say I'm lying on a hill with a beam rifle and sniping AI in a settlement. How quickly will they be able to spot me? How far can they see at night? How quickly will they be able to return effective fire? That's what the question was probably about.

Why is everyone so interested in combat?
Is this game turning into a Destiny clone?

I can understand a Q&A on combat (if people want it) but this was meant to be on Interfaces & NPCs and the questions keep coming back to shooting people.
Is this all that Odyssey is going to provide?

Can we have some insight on things like:
  • What will the user interface look like? What inspirations have you used? What sort of 'on-foot' user experience are you trying achieve? (will it be a floating UX inside the helmet? or will it be something that is read from a forearm screen?) Will you be supporting short-cut keys or deliberately maintainng look & click to provide a degree of realisism to the experience?
  • How will the NPCs change depending on whether they are friendly or hostile towards you? Will Powerplay have any influence on whether they do / do not talk to you? Will ranking have any influence on the conversation trees?

Top Bottom