Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Weapons

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Gameplay-Reveal-Screen-1.jpg
Greetings Commanders!

We're back again this week with more answers for you on Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. This week we're taking a look at your questions regarding on foot weaponry.

Weapons​

Q: Will anti-vehicle weapons be available?
All weapons can be used against ships, however some are far more effective, such as explosive weapons like rocket launchers and grenades.

Q: Will players be equipped with a weapon immediately upon launch?
Just as you will always have a Sidewinder available as a ship, all players will have a side arm to help them in combat

Q: Will there be melee weapons?
Players will be able to attack with melee when close but there are no specific melee weapons.

Q: What kinds of explosives are there?
Only grenades and rocket launcher are planned for launch

Q: Will the aiming reticule always remain on-screen?
The reticule is used to interact with objects as well as for combat, so will always be on-screen. Firing from the hip will still use the same reticule for general direction, but will be less accurate.

Q. Which weapons allow you to look down the sights?
All weapons will have this function, however different scopes are available for each through Engineering.

Q. Could players throw grenades at ships an expect to deal significant damage if it's unshielded?
Yes and we look forward to watching it happen!

Q. What types of weapons will there be?
There's a wide variety of weapons from pistols, rifles and SMGs, to shotguns and rocket launchers. More details will be revealed on these later.

Q: Will players be able to upgrade their weapons with attachments?
You can choose from several attachments for your weapons. However, a modified weapon cannot be reverted, so think carefully. You can own multiple copies of a weapon for different situations, but can only carry a limited number of them at a time, depending on your suit type.

Q: Can you drop items for your friends to use?
Yes - other players can pick up and use your dropped items.
Edit: This will include all inventory items, but not ammunition.

Keep an eye out for more Elite Dangerous: Odyssey information in future!

o7

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Weapons take space in Module storage?
Mine is already overcrowded with engineered weapons and modules.

Will you consider increasing significantly module storage, or allowing to store extra modules on owned fleet carriers? I have 10'000 units of free space, I'd like to put my modules there :)

Q: Will players be able to upgrade their weapons with attachments?
You can choose from several attachments for your weapons. However, a modified weapon cannot be reverted, so think carefully. You can own multiple copies of a weapon for different situations, but can only carry a limited number of them at a time, depending on your suit type.
Weapons aren't modularized and you can't modify it whenever... This is a surprise.

This is sounding better and better - cheers

I'm hoping the weapons and suits will be in some sort of new storage like an armoury, separate to module storage.

Thanks for the answers. On the melee option (Players will be able to attack with melee when close but there are no specific melee weapons.)

Does this mean melee is limited to a punch in the face? Or butting with a rifle / pistol whipping?

I'm not sure if i understand the "modifying weapons" part, so can we not take the attachments off once we put them on? I don't know, doesn't sound great but if that's the case then i guess i'll have to work with it

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the Q&A.

I must also admit I find it strange that you can't remove modifications once they've been applied to a weapon. I thought I remember Gareth saying that they wanted you to feel some attachment to the weapons and it wasn't going to be the sort of thing where you find a better one every 5 minutes (paraphrasing). If that's the case then not being able to remove and sacrifice current modifications to apply news ones seems counter-intuative.

Q: Will the aiming reticule always remain on-screen?​
The reticule is used to interact with objects as well as for combat, so will always be on-screen. Firing from the hip will still use the same reticule for general direction, but will be less accurate.
Now when you say always... I have no plans on doing combat, when I'm just walking around a planet's surface, or inside a Thargoid structure I'd really rather not have a reticule in the centre of my screen the whole time. When you're flying your ship, you don't have a reticule on your screen unless you are in a fire group that has a module with a reticule in it. I do realise that you're saying on foot you can interact with more things that you can in your spaceship (as that is done via menus), but to not be able to hide it from the screen I think could get very frustrating.

Top Bottom