Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

I still find it very hard to believe that the best VR game in video gaming is turning it's back on VR. Shameful just Shameful

Why does it take so long to answer Powerplay questions?

I asked Sally a question about a possible bug in a rank 5 bonus over a month ago.....I asked Arthur over a year ago about Powerplay and Zac took over and that has been months as well.

Its as if they fall into some sort of singularity....

1630397711971.png

I still find it very hard to believe that the best VR game in video gaming is turning it's back on VR. Shameful just Shameful
To be honest, I don't think they have the expertise to do on-foot VR properly. If I remember rightly, fdev only tried VR as an experiment with the original Oculus Rift and put a few days working into it. (Think that was mentioned when David Braben letting Scott Manley try out Elite) .Turned out that because it's a sat down experience that it slotted in very well and you don't get the disconnect you do in other games.

You have to remember that originally, there was going to be no VR at all in Odyssey but (thanks to the forum); fdev put in the same setup as Horizons but, of course, now that the community got that far; they wanted more. Fdev made life hard for themselves by saying on-foot VR wouldn't be in 'At Launch' (Same with any mention of ship interiors) when they should have been more upfront and said in-cockpit VR is as much as your getting. However, I don't think the community realises how much work would be required to make Odyssey VR compliant. Now look at Half Life Alyx, that had a team working on it about the same size as Odyssey's and, of course people are going to demand standards as high as that. I think the only way they could do it is if a) they improve the performance a lot in Odyssey and b) VR Odyssey is an extra DLC which has to be paid for (I can't see it being financially viable otherwise).

TLDR : They got Lucky with the in cockpit VR, but they don't know how to do On-foot VR!

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think they have the expertise to do on-foot VR properly. If I remember rightly, fdev only tried VR as an experiment with the original Oculus Rift and put a few days working into it. (Think that was mentioned when David Braben letting Scott Manley try out Elite) .Turned out that because it's a sat down experience that it slotted in very well and you don't get the disconnect you do in other games.

You have to remember that originally, there was going to be no VR at all in Odyssey but (thanks to the forum); fdev put in the same setup as Horizons but, of course, now that the community got that far; they wanted more. Fdev made life hard for themselves by saying on-foot VR wouldn't be in 'At Launch' (Same with any mention of ship interiors) when they should have been more upfront and said in-cockpit VR is as much as your getting. However, I don't think the community realises how much work would be required to make Odyssey VR compliant. Now look at Half Life Alyx, that had a team working on it about the same size as Odyssey's and, of course people are going to demand standards as high as that. I think the only way they could do it is if a) they improve the performance a lot in Odyssey and b) VR Odyssey is an extra DLC which has to be paid for (I can't see it being financially viable otherwise).

TLDR : They got Lucky with the in cockpit VR, but they don't know how to do On-foot VR!
Me and others would gladly pay extra for a Ody VR DLC no problem. As I have said before if ED evolves totally out of VR my wallet will totally evolve out of ED. I don't even like playing ED in flat screen.

Me and others would gladly pay extra for a Ody VR DLC no problem. As I have said before if ED evolves out totally out of VR my wallet will totally evolve out of ED. I don't even like playing ED in flat screen.
The problem is, are there enough of us that would effectively buy Odyssey Twice? (Like Skyrim VR?) After the way this release has gone, I doubt it (although I would that would by twice if I could get my Vive working on it again).

The problem is, are there enough of us that would effectively buy Odyssey Twice? (Like Skyrim VR?) After the way this release has gone, I doubt it (although I would that would by twice if I could get my Vive working on it again).
They could put out a poll but i dont know how many watch these bords anymore, give the odds I think there would be quite a few if they just ried it. Maybe after they get he console stuff fixed they will give it a try.

I don't agree. I reckon the only reason on foot VR is not in Odyssey is because of the awful framerate. The experience would be nauseating even for the seasoned VR player.
So the decision was made not to include it, which was later changed to the bloody awful letterbox mode. Hacks with the in game camera have given a glimpse of on foot VR, so it is possible. But! those framerates.
Your comparison to Half Life Alyx is a bit unfair as that game is a single player dedicated VR game, that took 4 years to develop with a team of around 80 people.

If you are in the business and don't have anybody that knows how you go hire somebody that does. if you aim to stay in the business that is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom