Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

Will powerplay see any changes in Odyssey?
Powerplay will be discussed at a later date

Does that mean it will be discussed before or after Odyssey release?

An earlier AMA said it was on 'long term plans' which in Powerplay terms is a shoulder shrug, but that was for minor tweaks (which would be at a guess altering reward payouts and weekly allowances level in scope) and not actually adding anything new. So I guess in a few months we'll see reward tweaks and then.........see you in another five years?

I just hope FD don't abandon features in Odyssey in the same way.

An earlier AMA said it was on 'long term plans' which in Powerplay terms is a shoulder shrug, but that was for minor tweaks (which would be at a guess altering reward payouts and weekly allowances level in scope) and not actually adding anything new. So I guess in a few months we'll see reward tweaks and then.........see you in another five years?

I just hope FD don't abandon features in Odyssey in the same way.

Abandoning game features is quite common but what is particularly galling I think is the developers who never have the temerity to tell the players and string them along for in Frontiers case years.

They should treat the players with respect and cut it out with the mealy-mouthed canned responses especially when its in regards to a game feature people have invested 5 years in with next to no updates.

Some good stuff here:
Suits will have various functions player will be able to unlock and upgrade them with. Night vision is one of those functions.

On planets, gravity affects how high you can jump and particularly how effective your jump pack is – on Low-G planets you can get quite a lot of distance! Grenades also follow trajectories based on gravity which creates some interesting gameplay!

Launching off cliffs/geysers, it's all I really want ...

We’re revamping the lighting for the entire game!

There is a lot of new code and systems being implemented/refreshed for Odyssey.

The original camera suite will be available in Odyssey. We are also in the process of adding the vanity cam for the on foot character. We are very excited to see what our community come up with at launch.

However, players will be able to deploy in that Commander’s SRV or SLF with physical multicrew.
Thanks!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks very much for the pre-emptive answers. I am a little confused by a couple

Are there to be any significant changes to the camera suite for Odyssey, on-foot or off?
The original camera suite will be available in Odyssey. We are also in the process of adding the vanity cam for the on foot character. We are very excited to see what our community come up with at launch.

Please don't let our characters pose in really stupid ways.

Will we be able to fly other CMDRs' ships in Odyssey? Whether if it's by multicrew or stealing?
No, only the Commander that owns that ship can fly their ship. However, players will be able to deploy in that Commander’s SRV or SLF with physical multicrew.

I asked this at the end of the last AMA, but what do you mean by Physical Multicrew and how is it different from current multicrew? As you have said we cannot walk in ship interiors, I'm not sure how you will differentiate.

Will a Horizons user on a SRV be able to meet an Odyssey user on foot on a planet with no atmosphere?
We are looking at this at the moment - more to follow soon.

This seems to infer that currently people who don't own Odyssey won't be able to see people with Odyssey. How does the instancing work?

If a player isn't into FPS combat will that part of the expansion be optional?
Elite Dangerous has always been about allowing you to blaze your own trail, this will continue in Odyssey. Combat will always be optional for Commanders.

Currently there is no way to get the Guardian Blueprints without fighting the Guardian Sentinels, or asking someone to come along and kill them for you. You also need to have weapons in order to activate the Guardian Beacon. It would be really nice to see non combat interactions have a bit more depth in Odyssey.

I am so happy that the FPS combat will be optional. No interest in that kind of gameplay at all. Thanks! I am still hoping that space truckers will get even a little bit of love in the update with new ways to trade, but I realize we are in the minority so I won't get my hopes up.

Hello, Many interesting information, grateful

can I do a space walk as in the concept?

unknown.png

So no then in other words. Please don't make those who play it wait two more years.
I think it's safe to say that going on past performance, Odyssey will probably take 3 to 6 months to 'Bed In' and resolve major issues and then they'll start looking at other things and I think C&P will be the priority based on the community of the forums, So I'm not expecting anything powerplay wise for quite some time.

I asked this at the end of the last AMA, but what do you mean by Physical Multicrew and how is it different from current multicrew? As you have said we cannot walk in ship interiors, I'm not sure how you will differentiate.

I'm under the impression that physical multicrew means the commanders that are in the crew have to be in the same location (planet, bar, station, etc) when the crew is formed. You can't just 'Beam' in like the Holo Me Projections (or whatever the handwavium that was used to explain the multi-crew).

This seems to infer that currently people who don't own Odyssey won't be able to see people with Odyssey. How does the instancing work?
We discused this on Last nights Lave Radio. I'd imagine that when we're all together in our ships and SRVs, Odyssey and Standard Players (because everyone is a Horizon player now) will be able to interact. However, I don't see a Horizon player being able to see people on the ground, even on the airless worlds. I would like to be proven wrong about that but it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't happen.

One big question - When I blow up in a ship, I get automatically packed in an escape pod, ejected, picked up and brought to a station to solve the rebuy.

What if I get shot to pieces though?

Will there be option to change to 3rd person instead of FPS?
Could we breath on any planet? I mean... going on foot without helmet?
Sorry for my bad english XD

Top Bottom