Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

One big question - When I blow up in a ship, I get automatically packed in an escape pod, ejected, picked up and brought to a station to solve the rebuy.

What if I get shot to pieces though?
In Elite II, apart from auto flying back to a port, we had this if the player fitted one to their ship.

I think it's safe to say that going on past performance, Odyssey will probably take 3 to 6 months to 'Bed In' and resolve major issues and then they'll start looking at other things and I think C&P will be the priority based on the community of the forums, So I'm not expecting anything powerplay wise for quite some time.

Which is what I fear really- what annoys me is that C+P has had many revisions, and a lot of the 'feedback' on the forum is people not understanding how the game works...in short FD wasting time reinventing the wheel.

In regards to question 17. Are you implying it would be advantageous for a commander to buy a ship kit from the ARX store for extra cover/shielding.
Though, conversely, if the ship itself is being shot at, being a bigger target is a bad thing.

I doubt it'll be a major practical difference - no more so than the minor advantage of ships painted the same colour as the background being harder to spot, for example - after all, if your ship is there, you could just get into it, be fully protected regardless of ship kit, then ram whoever was trying to shoot you into orbit.

How about David's idea from one of the very early interviews, where he was talking about sneaking into someone's ship cargo space and so on?

This should be trivially easy to defeat anyway. Given the lack of artificial gravity, and keeping in mind that someone worked out a Cutter under boost is (at least briefly) pulling (IIRC) 13g - any sort of violent maneuvering would rapidly turn anyone not strapped down into paste. Even mag boots wouldn't be much help, as the person's upper body would simply become the end of the whip as a result.

Not that I expect they'd go to the trouble of modeling such things, but if they did...

So, it's definite no for ship interiors then, at least for this release of Odyssey?
I was so looking forward to that part as FRj shows below. :confused:
To be fair they did say that Odyssey would not include ship interiors "at launch" (whatever that means). A firmer answer on it (i.e. "yes we are going to do it" or "we are thinking about it") would be nice though...

Also nice to see a shout out for FRj's brilliant work on his imagining of ship interiors! :)

Awesome! Now that's Q&A with meat! Thanks.

Happy to see my question regarding gravity answered. Though from what I read, I guess we won't have 6DOF in zero-g, and probably no EVA neither.

To be fair they did say that Odyssey would not include ship interiors "at launch" (whatever that means). A firmer answer on it (i.e. "yes we are going to do it" or "we are thinking about it") would be nice though...

I suspect that phrasing was carefully chosen by marketing to turn "no" into something that drives and retains sales based on blind hope, without putting them legally on the hook for not providing it.

Though, conversely, if the ship itself is being shot at, being a bigger target is a bad thing.

I doubt it'll be a major practical difference - no more so than the minor advantage of ships painted the same colour as the background being harder to spot, for example - after all, if your ship is there, you could just get into it, be fully protected regardless of ship kit, then ram whoever was trying to shoot you into orbit.
So with what you're saying I might as well just stand under a ship for cover, being protected by the ships shield. 🤷‍♂️

@Rat Catcher fetched up another interestingly hilarious scenario of being able to impale a commander with the raider spikes of a ship kit. I wonder how that would be handled when a commander gets dived bombed by a Asp with a raider ship kit. :LOL:

As a result of this bumper edition Thursday stream, we won't be able to do our weekly AMA with you today. Fear not though, we've sneakily been collecting all your Odyssey questions from the last few AMA sessions and have been gathering as many answers as we can from our development team! Here is a selection of some of the questions and answers we've been able to bring you!

o7

Can I just say that this seems to be a better way to handle an AMA?

If you start a questions thread earlier in the week and then pick and choose the answers for a final post in the thread.

It could cut down on the amount of 'We can't talk about that yet' or 'that's not on in the plan' answers that seem to blight the AMAs so far.

Any plans to introduce improved anti aliasing in Odyssey?
We are not changing this engine, we are however looking at any issues and fixing them ready for launch.

That sounds like a flat no to DLSS, which is disappointing since it is now supported by two generations of Nvidia RTX cards and has shown huge boosts on other games. Is it that much of a huge engine issue to support one more Anti-Aliasing API along with the outdated ones?

Speaking purely selfishly of course, it's just that I could get a real boost on my 2070S, and Commanders who've bought a 30-series card will be climbing the walls about this. And I'm genuinely curious, any dev types on here who can fill me in on if/ how it's a massive task to implement something that there's already a major graphics card API for, that will be interesting to read.

Last edited:

When I asked this question it was in a context of consistency really- if a kit had no clipping (i.e. could be shot through) it made a mockery of having cover elsewhere because you could not fully trust what you stood behind, or on.

Top Bottom