Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

Yes, so I was thinking how you would choose the points for those way points... it would require some way of plotting a course on a 3d-surface... which in turn would probably require a lot of UI work? I'm not sure how they are intending to implement this (if at all).

I was merely talking about translating the current coordinate set into a navigation aid. Dav's Hope is 44.818 -31.3893 on its planet.

Regardless of the height, it is on the surface.

Hi CMDRs

Please bump if this isn't the right space for this question, I did post the bones of this somewhere else.

Exploration is my main engagement with Elite and I am currently on a long term exploration jaunt and have settled into a a routine of FC jump - stop and mine for a trit for a bit - then off exploring again. Rinse and repeat. It's a style I am happy with as I always have somewhere to return and cash in my carto data. The pointy end of this question is twofold: Being so far out in the black and having pre-ordered the Odyssey update with no real intention of going to the bubble anytime soon - does anyone know if I will I get access to the features (such as the exploration suit) through the FC? OR must I take a diversion from exploring to a hub/station etc to purchase the exobiologist equipment/exploration suit? Then fly back to my original location in the black.

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere and missed by myself.

Fly safe o7

Excellent question that deserves to be answered hopefully in the next AMA.

My guess: like the Planetary Approach module, all 3 commander suits (and basic weapon, tool) will be available by default in any ship, wherever the location, the day Odyssey goes live. You would only require a station visit to purchase additional/better modules and equipements, and an engineer base visit to enhance them.
But it's just theorycrafting at this stage.

I gave the thread a quick once over and couldn't see the info I am about to ask, but if it is there, I do apologise - just point me to it!

So my question(s): How will a players death be handled in Odyssey? Will the play just respawn back, will there be a rebuy screen, will there be any financial penalty?

Just curious, like everyone else :D

Hey! I've made a dedicated thread for it, but got no answer yet, so will give it a shot in here!
I'm a disabled player, able to control the game with just mouse. Thanks to incredible accessibility options Elite has, I can combine it with Alt Controller software (which emulates mouse actions into keyboard ones) to do anything in game I want - even engage combat. I know also players who play using just on-screen keyboard. Everything is possible thanks to ability to rebind nearly any key, to move ship and camera with key presses, and to ability to disable mouse steering while not locking the OS pointer to the center of the screen.
I'm really excited about Odyssey! Can't wait to get out of my ship and explore by feet! But due to announcement of FPS-style combat I'm starting to be worried about accessibility. Such combat needs precision, so I got afraid that mouse may get obligatory during on-feet journeys. But please, make it possible to rebind head/camera movement to keyboard, so we could still do non-combat activities on surface. I know it's not precise enough for shooting etc, but such option would help players like me immensely in diplomacy or trading missions, or simply in enjoying the life outside of our ships.
I'd love to have a TTP-mode, to let us see our pilots, but that is just preference. Most importantly - please make it as accessibile or even more as E: D is today!

It's all matter whether I'll be able to continue my adventure with ED or not

Very good question.

As you mention ED does indeed provide us with a wealth of options for customising the controls. Although at this point it's theorycrafting (thanks Skizomeuh :)). I am confident that most, if not all of the controls will follow the same customisable format in Odyssey enabling you to determine how you control the on foot action in all contexts. I am pretty confident and agree that the mouse might be the 'out of the box' control, but also pretty confident you can change that to the controller/bind of your choice. Hotas users and how they will add binds for on foot action and commands comes to mind as well.

Failing that, as a community member I am sure that besides myself there are a multitude of us that are more willing to dive in and help you with this if this isn't the case mate.

Fly safe CMDR o7

I gave the thread a quick once over and couldn't see the info I am about to ask, but if it is there, I do apologise - just point me to it!

So my question(s): How will a players death be handled in Odyssey? Will the play just respawn back, will there be a rebuy screen, will there be any financial penalty?

Just curious, like everyone else :D

Nobody (outside of FD) knows yet.

My guess is that we'll respawn in the ship, just like when we die in the SRV, because dying on foot being more "punishing" than dying in the SRV would be weird and inconsistent (wouldn't be a first though).

Nobody (outside of FD) knows yet.

My guess is that we'll respawn in the ship, just like when we die in the SRV, because dying on foot being more "punishing" than dying in the SRV would be weird and inconsistent (wouldn't be a first though).
That has been my assumption until I thought about it a bit further. It hasn't been officially stated yet but there could be new players who don't even own a ship or their one and only ship is located in another system (they used that new transportation service that has been discussed to get to 'where ever' they died and they are only interested in the FPS aspect of the game). So having the player only respawn back at their ship in what could be an entirely different system could be umm problematic.

Ideally and I know this will be met with ridicule is I wouldn't mind it if FD used a similar respawn system as Boarderlands did. Simply, you are 'scanned' and if you die when on foot, you are well umm 'reprinted' at a specific location which will be common enough that it won't be an inconvenience to get back to the action. I know it does sound lame but it did work in the game and they even made jokes about it like stating 'You know you are now only a copy of a copy of a copy .....'. At least there would be back story to describe how you are miraculously returned from the dead :D

That has been my assumption until I thought about it a bit further. It hasn't been officially stated yet but there could be new players who don't even own a ship or their one and only ship is located in another system (they used that new transportation service that has been discussed to get to 'where ever' they died and they are only interested in the FPS aspect of the game). So having the player only respawn back at their ship in what could be an entirely different system could be umm problematic.

Ideally and I know this will be met with ridicule is I wouldn't mind it if FD used a similar respawn system as Boarderlands did. Simply, you are 'scanned' and if you die when on foot, you are well umm 'reprinted' at a specific location which will be common enough that it won't be an inconvenience to get back to the action. I know it does sound lame but it did work in the game and they even made jokes about it like stating 'You know you are now only a copy of a copy of a copy .....'. At least there would be back story to describe how you are miraculously returned from the dead :D

This is definitely, as you say, one of those 'the more you think about it' headworms.

My hunch (as basic as it is) is that it might be context specific. So re spawn in combat might have a different mechanic than say the re spawn if you die out in the black on foot.

For example the only way (that we know of yet) now to get way out into deep unpopulated space is with a ship, so if you die on foot out in the black you might very well might well have to re spawn on your ship. If you die in a combat zone (on foot) I am guessing you might re spawn at a particular point on the current sphere of combat that you are in.

I know these examples are broad strokes and extremely basic, but it might be close to the thinking.

I for one am certainly going to try and geyser hop and see how high it flings me and if I can hop more than three (or if it kills me trying), the prospect of re spawning at a random hub with no way of getting back doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
This is definitely, as you say, one of those 'the more you think about it' headworms.

My hunch (as basic as it is) is that it might be context specific. So re spawn in combat might have a different mechanic than say the re spawn if you die out in the black on foot.

For example the only way (that we know of yet) now to get way out into deep unpopulated space is with a ship, so if you die on foot out in the black you might very well might well have to re spawn on your ship. If you die in a combat zone (on foot) I am guessing you might re spawn at a particular point on the current sphere of combat that you are in.

I know these examples are broad strokes and extremely basic, but it might be close to the thinking.
Your system does make more sense than mine, and I agree that FD will for all intents and purposes, have to come up with two ways for a player to respawn, one at a ship and one without.

Another question just popped into my mind: FD have already stated that we can engineer our suits and probably our personal weapons as well so will there be a REBUY screen when we die?

Your system does make more sense than mine, and I agree that FD will for all intents and purposes, have to come up with two ways for a player to respawn, one at a ship and one without.

Another question just popped into my mind: FD have already stated that we can engineer our suits and probably our personal weapons as well so will there be a REBUY screen when we die?

Good point, again as a complete hunch, I'd guess that if FDEV use the rebuy screen mechanic to manage damaged or broken suits it will act much the same way as ship selection, so perhaps you can repair your customised suit (for a price), or like selecting the default sidewinder you can default to a basic suit (though why someone would do that beats me).

But given the amount of variants of one suit that FDEV say we can own, we might end up with a lot which kind of ties into what Skiz said regarding suit acquisition (in that in thier most basic form they might be native to your ship/hub) - which I think is quite elegant by design. If this is the case, and suits are stored and managed ship/hub side then I would (if I was a betting man) place a wager that all suits are managed and repaired through the internal wardrobe. This might negate the need for a rebuy screen completely as you would automatically default to your basic suit upon respawn, enter personal wardrobe, repair custom suit, and off you go.

I know this most likely raises more questions and doesn't take into consideration cost and location and teeny details, but it's a possible approach.

Good point, again as a complete hunch, I'd guess that if FDEV use the rebuy screen mechanic to manage damaged or broken suits it will act much the same way as ship selection, so perhaps you can repair your customised suit (for a price), or like selecting the default sidewinder you can default to a basic suit (though why someone would do that beats me).

But given the amount of variants of one suit that FDEV say we can own, we might end up with a lot which kind of ties into what Skiz said regarding suit acquisition (in that in thier most basic form they might be native to your ship/hub) - which I think is quite elegant by design. If this is the case, and suits are stored and managed ship/hub side then I would (if I was a betting man) place a wager that all suits are managed and repaired through the internal wardrobe. This might negate the need for a rebuy screen completely as you would automatically default to your basic suit upon respawn, enter personal wardrobe, repair custom suit, and off you go.

I know this most likely raises more questions and doesn't take into consideration cost and location and teeny details, but it's a possible approach.

It'll be important to send players back for restock at some point, otherwise players will park nearby and keep infinitely respawning for a conflict zone or something like that, not to mention the disadvantage if you came from apex.

SRVs do it with the limited amount you can hold - at some point you need to restock them. They are different in a way - you don't rebuy them, you restock completely new ones.

I could see something like ships holding multiple suits, then as you die the one used gets damaged and will need station services for repairing, with FCs potentially having this service available. If not, players out in the black are screwed - unless the "flight suit" type is an unlimited one (it seems to be the bare minimum for the players to get on foot without any combat/scavenging/exobiology capabilities).

It'll be important to send players back for restock at some point, otherwise players will park nearby and keep infinitely respawning for a conflict zone or something like that, not to mention the disadvantage if you came from apex.

SRVs do it with the limited amount you can hold - at some point you need to restock them. They are different in a way - you don't rebuy them, you restock completely new ones.

I could see something like ships holding multiple suits, then as you die the one used gets damaged and will need station services for repairing, with FCs potentially having this service available. If not, players out in the black are screwed - unless the "flight suit" type is an unlimited one (it seems to be the bare minimum for the players to get on foot without any combat/scavenging/exobiology capabilities).
The SRV isn't actually that great an example of needing to restock, back in 2016 Bomba Luigi survived a full month in an SRV after his ship crashed during recall. They can repair refuel and rearm them selves while in use via synthesis so with a little bit of care you don't need a replacement.

The SRV isn't actually that great an example of needing to restock, back in 2016 Bomba Luigi survived a full month in an SRV after his ship crashed during recall. They can repair refuel and rearm them selves while in use via synthesis so with a little bit of care you don't need a replacement.

My point of view was restricted to the death experience. You're totally right the self-sufficiency gets bonkers if you're not getting to the point of death in a SRV.

Personally I have more issues with the material system rather than synthesis. It's a magical inventory safe from any risk. If materials were 0,1 tons each, in current SRVs you'd carry 20 materials which would make the SRV self-suficiency a lot more restricted. It would require a lot of rebalancing, though...

As was mentioned earlier, without actual details from FDEV and until it's confirmed it's all conjecture. But there are some great details you cover here that deserve a solid answer. As an annotation to the general discussion, and also as I enjoy exploring and am currently out in the black, the last point you make is quite salient.

I was worried that I won't be able to enjoy the new exploration suit and exobiologist gear without having to make a massive diversion back to the bubble to acquire it, now I am wondering exactly how they are to be repaired and maintained as well.

Good points sir!

Last edited:
Dear Fdev

With the advent of Oddessy coming to a galaxy near you in the not to distant future and the long awaited space legs.
Will we be able to walk around the Thargoid structures/crashed ships without being killed or will the doors that were obviously not designed for human sized meat parcels/Egg sacks ( please note Spider wasp "The parasitic wasp lays its eggs inside spiders ") or will they be used by those they are Intended for.

Do I need to worry.
With Regards
Vger Starseed Theta 7

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders.

This Thursday, we'll be celebrating the 6 year anniversary of Elite Dangerous with a special anniversary stream! It's going to be an exciting stream and a bit bigger than our usual Thursday affair.

As a result of this bumper edition Thursday stream, we won't be able to do our weekly AMA with you today. Fear not though, we've sneakily been collecting all your Odyssey questions from the last few AMA sessions and have been gathering as many answers as we can from our development team! Here is a selection of some of the questions and answers we've been able to bring you!

1. Will powerplay see any changes in Odyssey?
    Powerplay will be discussed at a later date

2. Will there be a helmet HUD in odyssey?
    Yes please see our post here for more detailed information.

3. Will you have some kind of holographic personal display to read information when you are on foot?
    Yes your suit will have similar functions to your ship – more on this in the future

4. Will our avatars in Odyssey be more sophisticated than we have at present, in order to facilitate height and weight differences, so that we don't all appear the same ‘size’?
    There will be a vast amount of ways Commanders can customise their avatars in game to give themselves a truly unique experience. However height and weight are currently not customisable.

5. With regards to Odyssey, can you tease more if any BGS changes, e.g. uniforms for player factions on NPC's, custom logos on stations, or some other benefits that supports of a faction may take advantage of.
    BGS is always present in Elite and this will be evident in Odyssey with various planets and settlement appearing differently dependent on their current state.

6. In Odyssey, will our helmets have night vision mode same as the SRV and ship?
    Suits will have various functions player will be able to unlock and upgrade them with. Night vision is one of those functions.

7. Can the new terrain system generate overhangs?
    Unfortunately not, however we think you will enjoy the vistas that our planetary tech will provide!

8. What are the plans for networking in Odyssey? Will it be p2p or will it be server based for FPS gameplay?
    The underlying network structure is the same as the rest of ED i.e. p2p so that the experience is seamless for players

9. Could you elaborate on how high, low or lack of gravity will be handled by spacelegs on the ground or in stations)?
    We have an upper cap on high gravity worlds where it would not be safe for Commanders to deploy.
    For outposts, whilst we’re in Zero-G, we use magnetised boots to keep the player on the floor.
    On planets, gravity affects how high you can jump and particularly how effective your jump pack is – on Low-G planets you can get quite a lot of distance! Grenades also follow trajectories based on gravity which creates some interesting gameplay!

10. With Odyssey and with it new gear incoming in mind: Are there plans to increase the storage limit for modules?
    No plans for this at the moment.

11. Quick question about the lighting changes in the Odyssey Update: Is it going to be a sweeping change to all or most light sources, including ships interiors/exteriors and system stars? Or will it be limited to stations and the atmospheric planets?
    We’re revamping the lighting for the entire game!

12. Will there be a possibility of mining on the surface of planets in Odyssey?
    Whilst we are not looking at mining on foot at this time, you will be able to visit small mining settlements.

13. Will Fleet Carriers get interiors in Odyssey?
    We have nothing to add on this at this moment in time.

14. Can you tell us if Elite has had a large code refresh/overhaul in preparation for Odyssey?
    There is a lot of new code and systems being implemented/refreshed for Odyssey.

15. Are there to be any significant changes to the camera suite for Odyssey, on-foot or off?
    The original camera suite will be available in Odyssey. We are also in the process of adding the vanity cam for the on foot character. We are very excited to see what our community come up with at launch.

16. Will Odyssey have the same graphic impact as the current engine in terms of performance or will you need to upgrade your video card?
    Odyssey will be optimised to run on your current setting for Elite Dangerous.

17. How does Odyssey deal with ship kits in regards to hit boxes? Will a raider ship kit’s spikes provide additional cover for example?
    Hit boxes for ships will accurately reflect their design in Odyssey, including any ship kits players have attached.

18. Will we be able to fly other CMDRs' ships in Odyssey? Whether if it's by multicrew or stealing?
    No, only the Commander that owns that ship can fly their ship. However, players will be able to deploy in that Commander’s SRV or SLF with physical multicrew.

19. Will we be able to hire NPCs in places normally reserved for multi-crew?
    No this will not be a feature in Odyssey.

20. What level of customization will players have over their FPS weapons in Odyssey? Will we be able to change/add sights, scopes, attachments, skins, etc.?
    Weapons will be able to be customised in a variety of ways both internally and externally, from sights and suppressors that suit the players playstyle to weapon skins that are purely aesthetic. More on this in the future.

21. Will we have the possibility to have our CMDR Names marked on planets in the style of: "First landed on by CMDR X"?
    Yes, we will log first footfall on a per CMDR basis

22. Will a Horizons user on a SRV be able to meet an Odyssey user on foot on a planet with no atmosphere?
    We are looking at this at the moment - more to follow soon.

23. Will Odyssey space suits get kits?
    The flight suit is the base suit, on top of which Commanders will be able chose how they will want to specialise.

24. In Odyssey, when transitioning from ships to (breathable?) space stations, will my character be in the selected outfit I bought from Holo-Me or in one of the new suits?
    Whichever you chose to equip both are viable

25. Will Odyssey bring more mysteries and codes similar to that of the Thargoid Probe Spectrogram?
    Narrative is a big part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy – we expect to continue this in the future.

26. Will we be able to use our current clothing in Odyssey?
    Yes, everything you own is usable in Odyssey.

27. If a player isn't into FPS combat will that part of the expansion be optional?
    Elite Dangerous has always been about allowing you to blaze your own trail, this will continue in Odyssey. Combat will always be optional for Commanders.

28. Any plans to introduce improved anti aliasing in Odyssey?
    We are not changing this engine, we are however looking at any issues and fixing them ready for launch.
We'll be taking a break from the AMA's over the festive period so we can spend more time with our turkey...I mean family. We'll be back with more in the new year!

Join us 17 December 12:00 UTC on www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous and www.youtube.com/elitedangerous/live for our Anniversary stream. We'll have activities, Twitch drops and Developer Gareth Hughes will be answering your Elite Dangerous: Odyssey combat questions!

o7
So if you can add a vanity camera to the first person character why not add a VR camera to the avatar for head look? I have no problems playing seated on mouse and keybaord with VR headlook, Elite in VR is such an incredible experience and I cannot play it any other way.

So if you can add a vanity camera to the first person character why not add a VR camera to the avatar for head look? I have no problems playing seated on mouse and keybaord with VR headlook, Elite in VR is such an incredible experience and I cannot play it any other way.
i KNOW VR IS GREAT...BUT TRY VR WITH AN X52PRO, PEDALS FOR barrelrolls while sitting on a PLAYSEAT EVOLUTION chair , AND 5.1 SURROUND SOUND... RUNNING ON 6.4GHZ(overclocked from 5.6)water cooled i7-7700K 64 gigs of ram and a gtx 2060... IT...IS...GLORIOUS. i dont need to go to mars anymore...im fine playing elite.

Top Bottom