Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

If they don't have the expertise hire somebody that does. Personally I think they are just being lazy. Well maybe not lazy. I am going to reserve opinion till they get the console stuff fixed and if they won't commit to working on VR in the future they will get no more of my money till they do and if they don't it will be time to move along to greener pastures.

Yes, but in a forum where you can discuss things, shut down a entirely treat, only to stop the discuss? Weird ? But it’s ok for me now, the white knights have won. Will be quite after this reply, till I have an pc (never) and have the unofficial rights to post my honest opinion here 😇

There was no discussion it was nothing more than a hugbox for those with separation anxiety. Those white knights you're talking about were they the players of this game on console and PC who just happened to disagree with spamming a CM 👏every 👏 single 👏 day 👏 with passive-aggressive waffle and are we there yet posts?

That's a rhetorical question btw I already know the answer.

Last edited:
There was no discussion it was nothing more than a hugbox for those with separation anxiety. Those white knights you're talking about were they the players of this game on console and PC who just happened to disagree with spamming a CM 👏every 👏 single 👏 day 👏 with passive-aggressive waffle and are we there yet posts?

That's a rhetorical question btw I already know the answer.
Mate, you are for my out of line, have fun with your real life. Makes a lot of sense.

3times owns elite, brings you in the position to be omnipresence. Normally you should be in charge to compare the game, but for me, you are only a guy, who is indented, to bring no good arguements, only funny things, and provoking. Oh I forget tells Nonsens, like we have pinged her to much, you should read my last ping, before complaining. So then go bring your contstantly chants about they have told us yadayada, in the mean time I will evaluate serious issues with 3 squadrons, who have problems with bgs on consoles, collecting data and will get in touch with some of Fdev. No need for more words. 👍

Last edited:
Mate, you are for my out of line, have fun with your real life. Makes a lot of sense.

3times owns elite, brings you in the position to be omnipresence. Normally you should be in charge to compare the game, but for me, you are only a guy, who is indented, to bring no good arguements, only funny things, and provoking. Oh I forget tells Nonsens, like we have pinged her to much, you should read my last ping, before complaining. So then go bring your contstantly chants about they have told us yadayada, in the mean time I will evaluate serious issues with 3 squadrons, who have problems with bgs on consoles due to EDO, collecting data and will get in touch with some of Fdev. No need for more words. 👍
Sorry my fault, would like to have edit, but reply on my own statement. Was not my intention

Let's be honest, we can all have IRL experience but unless you work at Frontier, no-one knows what's actually involved. I think the general direction of splitting up and alienating of entire sections of the existing pre-Odyssey player base (e.g. VR, consoles) is having a creeping detrimental impact, and "can't be done" is often - in my experience - a sign of stifling negativity within a company.
I'm beginning to wish they had stuck to their guns and kept VR out of Odyssey, which they wanted to do. However, they thought they'd be doing us a favour by putting in a Horizons level implementation of VR but that now feels like they've opened themselves up to this kind of criticism. Going back to one of the original Interviews between David Braben and Scott Manley;- It's mentioned that they only tried to put VR in because it was an easy few days work for the sit-down experience. They found they'd accidently captured lightening in a bottle and were able to build on it without too much effort.

However, to put on-foot vr in (as I'm always saying) is a lot more work. I've had a look at doing some myself and can tell you, compared to puttng in a cockpit VR solution (Driving games, flight sims, etc), the on-foot experience is a lot more work and can be very difficult to get right without the player feeling 'Disconnect' (your VR body not working the way you expect) or even worse, motion sickness. Add to that, all the existing on foot UI interactions have to be reworked for the VR experience. I might not work for fdev but my research has given me a massive insight into how much dev work is required to put this in and if VR is not on the original requirements, then its a lot more difficult to put in at a later date. The only mistake that fdev made (as far as this and ship interiors are concerned) is that they should have been upfront when they were demoing Odyssey and say that no ship Interiors or more VR coming and not saying 'Not at Launch'.

People don't seem to understand this, they expect on-foot vr to be just as easy as puttng in the cockpit VR. It's not.

I'm beginning to wish they had stuck to their guns and kept VR out of Odyssey, which they wanted to do. However, they thought they'd be doing us a favour by putting in a Horizons level implementation of VR but that now feels like they've opened themselves up to this kind of criticism. Going back to one of the original Interviews between David Braben and Scott Manley;- It's mentioned that they only tried to put VR in because it was an easy few days work for the sit-down experience. They found they'd accidently captured lightening in a bottle and were able to build on it without too much effort.

However, to put on-foot vr in (as I'm always saying) is a lot more work. I've had a look at doing some myself and can tell you, compared to puttng in a cockpit VR solution (Driving games, flight sims, etc), the on-foot experience is a lot more work and can be very difficult to get right without the player feeling 'Disconnect' (your VR body not working the way you expect) or even worse, motion sickness. Add to that, all the existing on foot UI interactions have to be reworked for the VR experience. I might not work for fdev but my research has given me a massive insight into how much dev work is required to put this in and if VR is not on the original requirements, then its a lot more difficult to put in at a later date. The only mistake that fdev made (as far as this and ship interiors are concerned) is that they should have been upfront when they were demoing Odyssey and say that no ship Interiors or more VR coming and not saying 'Not at Launch'.

People don't seem to understand this, they expect on-foot vr to be just as easy as puttng in the cockpit VR. It's not.
Didn't Frontier claim that Elite Dangerous was built round VR?

It's one of the examples of Frontier writing cheques they couldn't cash and an unpleasant side effect of starting the project with crowd funding. Crowd funding was the fundamental error.

Didn't Frontier claim that Elite Dangerous was built round VR?

It's one of the examples of Frontier writing cheques they couldn't cash and an unpleasant side effect of starting the project with crowd funding. Crowd funding was the fundamental error.
Not quite, They found out how easy it was to implement the VR before they put in the main UI. They were able to build the UI with the VR experience in mind from that point.

Below were the statements made. "Built for the future" "The world's leading Triple A VR game" "designed from the ground up to support VR". Combined with the infamous "not at launch" bait and switch when details on Odyssey were announced.

Nevertheless, it's still artificially fracturing the player-base, along with excluding the DLC from consoles entirely, makes it difficult to regain the ground lost between Horizons and Odyssey, and that has to be concern.

MADE FOR VR

DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP TO SUPPORT VIRTUAL REALITY AND 4K ULTRA HD DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY.

Cutting-edge visual quality and performance enabled by Frontier's COBRA game engine.

THE WORLD'S LEADING TRIPLE-A VR GAME

Elite Dangerous is richly detailed and epic in scope. VR adds incredible immersion and further depth to combat and exploration as you take the controls of your own spaceship and blaze your own trail through the cutthroat galaxy, whichever side of the law you're operating on.

The Elite Dangerous: Horizons season of expansions pushes the experience even further, with incredibly detailed simulated planet surfaces, settlements, space ports and wrecks to explore, both from your ship and from the expansive bubble canopy of the 'Scarab' Surface Recon Vehicle (SRV).

4K ULTRA HD

Ultra HD displays offer a crisp, vivid window onto the Elite Dangerous galaxy. Elite Dangerous supports the latest displays at 4K resolution, and is built for the future with full 8K and 16K support.

Not quite, They found out how easy it was to implement the VR before they put in the main UI. They were able to build the UI with the VR experience in mind from that point.

Hmmmm

Designed from the ground up to support Virtual Reality and 4K UltraHD display technology.​

Hmmmm, so who was telling the truth, tacked on at the last minute or designed from the ground up?

Last edited:
I agree about the frame rate not being acceptable, but I don't think that was the reason. Remember they didn't want to do VR in Odyssey at all, even before the Issues with the launch. However, I think the comparison to Half Life Alyx is completely fair. The amount of rework that would be needed to include on foot VR is huge and people really do underestimate it.

Like I said, they got lucky with the in-cockpit stuff because the controls didn't really change. Everything could be still run from the joystick. However, to put things in full on-foot VR, you've got to handle the movement, the combat and then there's the little things like interacting with interfaces and items. It's a completely new UI.

There's a reason why Half life Alyx took 80 people and 4 years to develop; why Skyrim VR is a separate product. Heck, it took NMS at least three years to put VR in. Putting on-foot VR in is difficult and to expect it as part of Odyssey was always unrealistic. If I put my "dev head" on, it would probably take a team of ten to fifteen dedicated VR devs and artists; 1 to 2 years to pull together all the bits for 'Good' immersive experience. It's not that they don't want to do it, it's because its hard and they probably won't get back the money they put into developing it.
I play odyessy in VR all the time what is in VR is great frame rate does not effect it at all.

Well, I'm jealous. 've only got the minimum spec for VR in Horizons. The framerate is OK on Horzons but its too "vomit comet" for me on Odyssey.
Sorry to hear that. The new graphics in Ody are great. I don't care for the on foot stuff and would not play it even if it was in VR. I running Ody on a Ryzen 5900X 32 gigs of mem. 8TB of SSD, RTX 2070 FE. and a HP G2 head set. very happy with the setup on ED Ody.

Last edited:
Does anybody know where I can buy another one of those long range mining lasers? They said there would be tech brokers on the Torval mega ships to sell them. I have been to every torval ship and no brokers.

Several months back FD on one of their videos introduced a new guy they just hired to be in charge of something, I don't remember what but they asked him about VR on camera and he did not know what VR was. That seemed very odd to me in this day and age.

Top Bottom