ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous | Odyssey: Roadmap

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
See? I didn't even know that you are a VR player. Probably because you don't tell me all day how superior you are compared to pancake peasants like me.
You don't even have a VR tag on the forums! 😫
;)
I bought the original Rift (that was a real wow!) to play VR games, then the Rift S so I could play with better clarity. Sooner or later I'll get an Index (I don't want a WMR HMD) to replace the S...
The important bit is that I bought a heap of games to play in VR, not VR to play ED!

I still wouldn't mind if Odyssey had full VR support, but first I just want performance and the few bugs dealt with so I can enjoy the pretty bits added by the DLC.

(I'd never call a non-VR user names, I can only get to play for any time in the warm months, when the doors are open - otherwise I'm a pancake player too!)

See? I didn't even know that you are a VR player. Probably because you don't tell me all day how superior you are compared to pancake peasants like me.
You don't even have a VR tag on the forums! 😫
;)
Until they started this nonsense of Odyssey not having VR support, NOONE wore VR tags and or VR Avatars, and do you know what, those were happier times for us Vr players as well. Instead of having to fight for the very survival of our play style, we could, you know, fly our spaceships, fully immersed in our boxhead-bliss. But now we are at the start of being deprecated, and surprisingly enough, we don't like that, so the tags and avatars and posts like this one and other threads are not our jobs, these are being done in recreational time, so believe me when I say I am probably every bit as fed up of the VR threads and posts as people like @stringtheery are, possibly even more so as I've either written or read every damned word in them in my efforts to try and keep VR fully implemented in Odyssey as a key part of the game, as it always should have been.

The old chestnuts multicrew, powerplay,bgs,piracy,smuggling, desperately needed fixes, are fundamental in undermining anything devs say. CMs aside, the history of these horrible bugs and their still not fixed means we vr gamers and pancakes and consoliers are a tad skeptical about any pending patches content fixes etc.
I wish it were otherwise. Legacy bugs of this magnitude should have been addressed years ago.
Gotta echo this. Been a long time since those issues are present. I'd also specifically add the SLF-induced lag to other players in the instance to the severe bugs list. Piracy, smuggling, crime & punishment all need a deep balance pass. With Odyssey it just means these aspects of ED will be forgotten until at least console release + months afterwards of console bug fixing. Maybe forever.

R.I.P.

All good feedback, thanks for the thoughts on it for sure!

Seriously, we don't ever set out to deliberately make your lives difficult - we value you a tonne and it's horrible to see the level of frustration communicated back at times, which we absolutely want to help reduce by making as many improvements as quickly as we're able. We sadly don't just have commitments in forums. We have duties with development, social platforms, ongoing feedback, emergency issues, initiative planning, TONNES of things where if we see feedback on how we can improve here to help speed this side along and bring happiness then heck, we'll take it! We just sometimes might trip a little and therefore need to action a learn from it - I think this is a case in point today with the update info.

These are great thoughts, as I say, thank you. I can experiment with some myself moving forward - the Camera Suite focus feedback thread I ran was AWESOME! The benefit of that was the highlight of my last week and sure, these could do very well in a sub forum! I agree! All good things here to help us help you, and absorb :) Thank you (I keep saying it...).
Thanks Sally.
I would want the FFF to stay highly visible, so either here or a dedicated FFF sub-forum.
But contrary to the poster you just replied with the above, I would not want them buried in topic sub-forum like patches where it isn't visible on the main screen or in the current announcements area.
These are great and hopefully will continue far into the future at needed or regular intervals; lots of topics you fans are happy and want to help the dev team direction when we can.

Thanks for sparing the days. We're still working hard to get something together that satisfies everyone's needs, so the extended patience really is something we're continually grateful for.
We're really wanting to make sure we cover all bases when it comes to 'getting it right', with the information we want to deliver on short term and long term plans. We do have the developer stream coming up soon, where hopefully you can join us and hear a little more of what you're hoping from progress moving forward o7
Hi there!
An update from David Braben on the "vision" thing would be great. It seems that as team members have rotated in and out that the long-term vision DB sold has fallen by the wayside. When Art says "no plans for ship interiors" with zero caveats, it seems that David Braben's video, other videos, and newsletter articles that spoke of this in the first 4 years are unknown to the new team members (have they watched the Kickstarter videos to get the history and major goals and vision?), or have been scuttled without any communication to backers and LEP holders and others that bought into ED based on those interesting goals.

I've found from watching the forums over the years that every 6 months or so (12 max), a reminder about the longer term vision and work on it really should go out, because that's about the interval when folks are wanting to guess ED is on life-support. Even if one trusts that major paid expansions are still targeted along the lines DB discussed these are nice to see/hear/read.

I bought the original Rift (that was a real wow!) to play VR games, then the Rift S so I could play with better clarity. Sooner or later I'll get an Index (I don't want a WMR HMD) to replace the S...
The important bit is that I bought a heap of games to play in VR, not VR to play ED!

I still wouldn't mind if Odyssey had full VR support, but first I just want performance and the few bugs dealt with so I can enjoy the pretty bits added by the DLC.

(I'd never call a non-VR user names, I can only get to play for any time in the warm months, when the doors are open - otherwise I'm a pancake player too!)
I own the original Rift as well, but my forum tag is already occupied with more important issues.

Until they started this nonsense of Odyssey not having VR support, NOONE wore VR tags and or VR Avatars, and do you know what, those were happier times for us Vr players as well. Instead of having to fight for the very survival of our play style, we could, you know, fly our spaceships, fully immersed in our boxhead-bliss. But now we are at the start of being deprecated, and surprisingly enough, we don't like that, so the tags and avatars and posts like this one and other threads are not our jobs, these are being done in recreational time, so believe me when I say I am probably every bit as fed up of the VR threads and posts as people like @stringtheery are, possibly even more so as I've either written or read every damned word in them in my efforts to try and keep VR fully implemented in Odyssey as a key part of the game, as it always should have been.
I know how you feel. I am waiting for cockpit cats since 7 years.

they are working on them.

Attachments

• OIP (1).jpg
    OIP (1).jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 42
Hey all -- I'm a VR player and accepted the compromise about a 2D on-foot projected mode as soon as it was announced. It was valuable enough to keep at least the in-ship VR experience. Now I'd just like the major issues fixed (free camera, DSS, CZ black-out upon death) and no doubt optimization will find its way into VR over the next few months from general updates to the base game in preparation for console release.

And definitely there's plenty of reason for some CMDRs to be pretty upset over what VR limitations there are, and improvements have come and hopefully even more will come in the future. To be honest, I'd feel better with the console CMDRs being updated and in-game with us on a stable Odyssey system before additional VR development -- as long as the major issues are fixed now.

before VR i think they want to get rid of the Colour Errors that keep [popping up] i had two in frontier wars scene's Mauve krait both occasions and left me a few kms away from the battle. that was a long walk i can tell you.

completed mission
got to Docking ship
MAUVE ERROR
back to mission Km Away from the Fight.
[repeat TWice]
finally had to leave the settlement and run 485 km Away to get the flipping Taxi back to base. to claim my bonds

Last edited:
I've already go past that point after trying on foot combat one last time, couple days ago. Rage quit and haven't touched it since, been poking forums seeing if anything has changed. Go play some thing else, instead of being disappointed.
Likewise. I have not launched in days ... weeks even. Almost 7,000 hours and I am now looking for other ways to spend my spare time. I am not even logging into Horizons knowing that what has been released in Odyssey will be released into Horizons and I feel that my time between now and then will be wasted :(

I do hope a lot of things are resolved with the new update. Mission sharing being better, maybe not losing missions for really stupid things like dying in the general vicinity of a settlement because of a mission-unrelated mishap or something, not being able to turn in missions for money if I did complete them, losing a mission after it's already completed because I attack a ship while leaving after having done the thing and i get blown up. Lots of things unrelated to this, but these are the things that turned off the friend I was introducing to the game and made him swear it off until it was updated again.

But, those things said, I have no problem with the update being pushed back. We wanted the game itself to be released later and be developed more, so if that's happening with this last patch in the short term roadmap, then hey, whatever. Good, I hope it's a satisfying update.

One silly thing though, why can't the launcher just be simply updated? I know that's not how that particular feed works, but it absolutely could have been how that feed works; just push a new update and be done with it. Obviously nobody has time to implement that right now and are just working with what's already been built, but I hope these devs eventually have time to do some work to re-structure some things and make their own lives easier (and thus CM and others' lives easier) in the future.

Likewise. I have not launched in days ... weeks even. Almost 7,000 hours and I am now looking for other ways to spend my spare time. I am not even logging into Horizons knowing that what has been released in Odyssey will be released into Horizons and I feel that my time between now and then will be wasted :(
I'm a couple thousand hours behind you, but am of a similar mindset.

Not interested in vr, nor am I interested in the shooty-shooty on legs stuff. If Oddity could offer me Horizons solo-mode gameplay with some better eye-candy, and without the silly UI changes, I'm OK with that seeing as the game appears to be on it's last legs and wishing for anything else (like better gameplay instead of inane time sinks) might be a bit of a stretch now.

Flimely commented on VR in one of the threads I'm curating:

This is Flimely for jings crivens sakes, the forumite behind the old trope of "Hooray for Flimely!" Pity he's now saying we're doomed...

What will be said or done to give Flimely some hope again?
I honestly don’t know.…
Odyssey really needs VR now more than ever since the new vistas have been revealed. Meanwhile I have returned to triple screens since learning there was no VR in odyssey. I won’t be able to tolerate switching from 3D to VR flat screen in the head set. …That’s utter ‘it’ll do’ crap.
Effectively the whole game feels downgraded to me now. So that, is, that.
I do wonder how frontier collectively feel knowing that this game is feeling this way for Cmdrs who invested in VR headsets.
Anyway, Ppffttt...

Flimley

…Frontier are hell bent on churning out game after game as quickly as possible. And clearly I have been deluded thinking that elite dangerous was their flagship title. Set apart from the rest and special. But really this title is the ‘bolt on special’, with dubious coherency and forward thinking, adding random game modules to appeal to new demographics or until something sticks.….. …….Management decisions.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know.…
Odyssey really needs VR now more than ever since the new vistas have been revealed. Meanwhile I have returned to triple screens since learning there was no VR in odyssey. I won’t be able to tolerate switching from 3D to VR flat screen in the head set. …That’s utter ‘it’ll do’ crap.
Effectively the whole game feels downgraded to me now. So that, is, that.
I do wonder how frontier collectively feel knowing that this game is feeling this way for Cmdrs who invested in VR headsets.
Anyway, Ppffttt...

Flimley

…Frontier are hell bent on churning out game after game as quickly as possible. And clearly I have been deluded thinking that elite dangerous was their flagship title. Set apart from the rest and special. But really this title is the bolt on special, adding random game modules to appeal to new demographics or until something sticks.
As a VR fan myself, I have got a TRACKIR just for elite and I do love it. It is not VR but it is like 2D VR if that makes sense?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom