Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 1 - One Giant Leap

That is disappointing that graphical overhaul won't happen ughh

It's already a nice looking game at 4K, so I'm not sure it needs a graphical overhaul yet. Perhaps in another four years, when it will be a decade old, assuming they haven't stopped any further development by that time. :unsure:

Aren't the launchers the same across these versions after you launch them in Steam and/or Oculus?
Nope . They look similar on the surface but are different..... For instance the Oculus version does not support steamVR it is native Oculus only. it will probably run outside of VR if you force it to, but its default position is to run in VR . The Oculus version also has extra features built in. It ties into the Oculus infrastructure and allows you to pin any window within your cockpit so if you want a TV in between your legs and a clip boarded web browser on your wall in your ship you can. Last I looked you could not so this in the steam or frontier version

The account is swappable between versions (I have one of each and can sign into all 3 with the same account) so it's simple enough for FD to fix if they hand out free keys to Oculus store owners but AFAIK they have not announced this yet.

This must be fake because non VR players keep telling me this is impossible and FPS in VR has to be using teleportation ;)
Yeah, right. As if teleportation was invented for non VR players. As if pancakers needed the vomit bags.

Does Medal of Honor have jetpacks? Too bad I'm not in charge at FDev. I'd give you VR tough guys exactly what you're asking for. And then I'd watch you puke after your first EVA mission in zero G. 🤮 Hahaha!

Yeah, right. As if teleportation was invented for non VR players. As if pancakers needed the vomit bags.

Does Medal of Honor have jetpacks? Too bad I'm not in charge at FDev. I'd give you VR tough guys exactly what you're asking for. And then I'd watch you puke after your first EVA mission in zero G. 🤮 Hahaha!
Already done EVA and jetpacks and FPS in VR but thanks for your concern.
Also that is the beauty of options , no one is forced to use VR if it makes them ill.
But don't let things like facts stop you making up nice little stories :)
PS funnily enough the Doom reboot is a game which HAS made me feel queezy in the past. A flat screen game. Not sure why.
Killzone 3 did as well also s flat screen game (I think this was due to the awful FOV with no option to improve being a console game).

Gaming nausea is not limited to VR

Last edited:
Cool story, bro. No doubt FDev and Oculus develop their products only for you. :rolleyes:
I take it you’ve never taken the SRV for a fly/drive in VR or the SLF for a (quite literal) spin? I think Mad Mike is not alone when it comes to playing VR games and not suffering nausea 🤷‍♂️

Is it possible for EVA in VR to be worse? I’ve used Elite’s camera suite to do pseudo-space walks quite often in VR, and it uses standard FPS controls on my Xbox pad. I’ve also played plenty of NMS, Adr1ft, Lone Echo - plus plenty of VR FPS games - and never got the sickies. Do you think FPS VR is an insurmountable problem for Elite?

Cool story, bro. No doubt FDev and Oculus develop their products only for you. :rolleyes:
Nice deflection. FD marketed a product as built from ground up for VR..... And whilst the majority of ED players are not VR players I DO believe a large percentage of VR owners ARE ED players, some who bought a specifically sold VR version. Of course some of those players are going to push back at their version ceasing to be supported.
It is OK that you are not concerned about that for yourself but you don't get to spout your ignorance about not being able to use jetpacks in VR without throwing up (objectively incorrect) without being called on it.

It is a FACT that

FPS works in VR without teleport
EVA works in VR (potentially better than on a screen)
Jetpacks work in VR

It's also a fact however that some development time is needed to make it work properly so needs some commitment from the devs but that time is less if done during development and not attempted to be added later.
IF FD choose not to do it there is not a damn thing VR players can do about it other than complain on their forums and social media and refuse to give them money. This is FDs choice but that decision should have been made BEFORE selling to VR players.

But players ignorant of VR, spouting nonsense about what you can't do in VR (essentially lies at this point) or taking the attitude "I am not affected so screw you" is just going to make things worse.

Last edited:
you don't get to spout your ignorance about not being able to use jetpacks in VR without throwing up (objectively incorrect) without being called on it.
Bro, YOU made up a story about teleportation being requested/required by non VR players, and I called you on it. 😁

Bro, YOU made up a story about teleportation being requested/required by non VR players, and I called you on it. 😁
Care to quote me on that?
Of course teleportation is not required by non VR players!
Numerous Non VR players HAVE stated however that VR would ruin ED for non. VR players because VR players would have to be teleporting around the place and THAT was what I was poking fun at (assuming you are talking about my post WRT Medal of Honour VR

Care to quote me on that?
Your words: "non VR players keep telling me this is impossible and FPS in VR has to be using teleportation"

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't mind FDev giving you exactly the raw and unpolished VR experience you're asking for. The extra work they're putting into the VR parts doesn't benefit me at all. It's the VR players that require the special treatment here. Consider yourself lucky I'll be paying for it by buying the DLC that you guys are preparing to boycott. You can thank me later. ;)

Your words: "non VR players keep telling me this is impossible and FPS in VR has to be using teleportation"

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't mind FDev giving you exactly the raw and unpolished VR experience you're asking for. The extra work they're putting into the VR parts doesn't benefit me at all. It's the VR players that require the special treatment here. Consider yourself lucky I'll be paying for it by buying the DLC that you guys are preparing to boycott. You can thank me later. ;)
What "extra work they are putting into the VR parts". Where did you hear this?

FD do work all the time which only benefits some people.
I look at all of the time spend on the network trying to make each instance hold as many as possible... Personally I would be just fine with it being localised MP with mates like left 4 dead or payday ..... But I don't complain.

It is irrelevant whether you think FD should have bothered putting VR into ED. The simple fact is they did and they sold a lot off the goodwill that generated. I doubt as many copies would have sold of the Oculus version for instance had players known it was a 1 shot deal and would potentially not be getting any DLC

But either way I am going round in circles now so fly safe CMDR.

...Consider yourself lucky I'll be paying for it by buying the DLC that you guys are preparing to boycott. You can thank me later. ;)
(Looks at Day 1 Kickstarter pledge that includes all future expansions)

Do you consider yourself lucky that some of us guys helped convince FDev there was an audience for a modern Elite? No need for thanks, it’s okay.

As for Mad Mike’s original post - you do realise that it was a comment about non-VR users telling VR users how they can’t do things in games that they’ve been doing in games for a few years now?

You beat me .. I wasn't a day 1 backer. I had kind of given up that there would ever be an elite 4 and stopped refreshing the elite club pages etc a number of years earlier
Funnily enough it was a post on the Star citizen KSer which pointed me to the ED KSer

Great times there....... Yes there was still a rivalry with fanboys of both games (Elite was.my number 1 with wing commander and privateer a distant 2nd).... But it was a friendly one mostly with backers of each game more than happy to advertise the other.
I jumped in a number of weeks later at a point when the KSer was looking a little bleak for ED.

But I digress.

What "extra work they are putting into the VR parts". Where did you hear this?
Quoting Tim Smith, Lead Community Manager:

"the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible."

"the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible."
You should have posted they "MAY" rather then they "are", because for all we know VR might never be in Odyssey. Got me excited for a moment there.

Frontier have dropped the ball and this is the post admitting it. VR is a part of the existing game that will not be in Odyssey (at launch). That's not VR players' fault, that's Frontier's fault. They did the extra work for everyone else (at launch), but not for VR players.

They haven't dropped the ball at all. You guys are just in denial about the work required to make a good VR game. You can't just put stereoscopic rendering on top of a 2D game and call it a day.
I am not in denial about the work involved. I just believe that FD already made the commitment for VR and made sales based off of it. No one forced FD to market the game as "made for ground up for VR" or to sell on a VR only store that was a decision they made.

I would not complain about VR not being in at launch but do think FD need to give a firm commitment that VR would be the priority as soon as it is launched. (I do think over all that is a less efficient way to do it however)

Top Bottom