Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 2 - Forging Your Path

I wouldn't think so, no. All of the current settlements all befell some horrible tragedy and are abandoned. I think it would be weird to drop in on an INRA site and see NPC Karen walking around telling everyone how specieist we are the that bug lives matter, too.

Some of those would make good Halloween content, well, for 2021 anyway.

You are only going to get a beta if Frontier thinks it adds value to the project. But Its certainly possible.

I guess if they have got real value out of the last set of beta`s, then they may well be planning something.
Odyssey is such an imposing update, that a beta version will certainly be needed.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Odyssey is such an imposing update, that a beta version will certainly be needed.

You can believe its a dead cert - but there are Innumerable examples of large scale games and MMO`s being released successfully without public betas.

Again, the only reason for frontier to chose to have a public beta is if they see value in it - which is a rather different proposition to people on the forums wanting one so they can preview the game ahead of release.

You can believe its a dead cert - but there are Innumerable examples of large scale games and MMO`s being released successfully without public betas.
has an in game elite beta ever gone smoothly once closed and integrated into the main game🤷‍♂️
I think we may need a beta to test the beta:giggle:

Any TLDR for us, late guys that got into the game again, to review what will be added/planned for odyssey?

The announcement plus the two dev diary videos will cover most of what we know (under ten minutes of content). It's quite a few different things, typing it all out would take longer than just watching/reading those. There's more unannounced stuff to come as well.

Any TLDR for us, late guys that got into the game again, to review what will be added/planned for odyssey?

Stations (space stations/outposts/surface ports) will have a 'social hub' where you can walk around / interact with players/NPCs to some degree / shop / use services.
Services include: buying weapons/ships, getting transport to other stations, selling "on foot" exploration data, signing up for combat missions.
Surface installations: new, more detailed surface locations, will vary according to the economy (industrial etc.) Can explore / loot / attack etc.

No exploring ships on foot. Moving from ship -> Social hub will probably be a fade to black transition. No mention of EVA other than on the surface. You can buy a variety of suits (for combat / scavenging etc.) and customise them. You will have a jet-pack.

Stations (space stations/outposts/surface ports) will have a 'social hub' where you can walk around / interact with players/NPCs to some degree / shop / use services.
Services include: buying weapons/ships, getting transport to other stations, selling "on foot" exploration data, signing up for combat missions.
Surface installations: new, more detailed surface locations, will vary according to the economy (industrial etc.) Can explore / loot / attack etc.

No exploring ships on foot. Moving from ship -> Social hub will probably be a fade to black transition. No mention of EVA other than on the surface. You can buy a variety of suits (for combat / scavenging etc.) and customise them. You will have a jet-pack.

Thanks a lot for this, sounds promising, as a great enhancement to make it more life-like!

Thanks a lot for this, sounds promising, as a great enhancement to make it more life-like!

Yeah, it seems promising so far. Exploring planet surfaces, scanning the local flora & geological 'things'. On-foot combat. Though to be honest I'm happy just seeing a bit more life/movement/activity in the galaxy. The highlight for me was simply seeing the clips of the social hubs, with lots of characters around being able to look up and see the ships entering and leaving the port.

There's only been a couple of dev diaries so far, hopefully there's still another few to go too with additional reveals.

That's quite optimistic. But based on the dev dairy releases, I'm predicting a beta somewhere around January, with the final release in mid to late March. Just my observation, though.
Why do you think it will be so late in 2021? It was originally scheduled for this december, only delayed because of covid, which Braden has said now that it only has delayed development by a few days. He also said he doesnt want to release it during the Christmas break implying that it could be done by then.

I'm thinking release will be January...

getting transport to other stations

Thinking about this one - does it include transport by other human players ? Would be funny, if one at last can be one of these obnoxious, complaining & hyper-sensitive characters which are so annoying when you are the captain of the vessel... 😄
And if you then could ask permission to attend the bridge, and take a seat on a vacant co-pilot chair and voice chat along with the captain...

But no. It will only be NPC transport vessels of course. And IIRC, they also said it would be limited to destinations within jump range ? So not booking a trip to Sag A*, Canis Majoris or comparable, but only within a range of say 50-60 ly at max...

Why do you think it will be so late in 2021? It was originally scheduled for this december, only delayed because of covid, which Braden has said now that it only has delayed development by a few days. He also said he doesnt want to release it during the Christmas break implying that it could be done by then.

I'm thinking release will be January...

I agree. I think it's entirely possible there will be a beta in December and release in January based on what we've heard.

That said, I wouldn't hang any hopes on it, as even if the work has only been pushed back days, they may see the shift of deadline from Q4 to Q1 as an opportunity to spend an extra three months polishing and finishing the update. Which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily.

The Dev Diaries so far (ok, there have only been 2 :) ) have been over a month apart, so maybe DD3 mid-November, DD4 .. end of December? Which is holidays, so early Jan. I doubt they would do a beta before DD4, so beta late Jan, maybe release in Feb.

Best thing is just to expect it at the end of March, best way to keep a low blood-pressure, and if they are earlier it will be a nice surprise 😝

The Dev Diaries so far (ok, there have only been 2 :) ) have been over a month apart, so maybe DD3 mid-November, DD4 .. end of December? Which is holidays, so early Jan. I doubt they would do a beta before DD4, so beta late Jan, maybe release in Feb.

Best thing is just to expect it at the end of March, best way to keep a low blood-pressure, and if they are earlier it will be a nice surprise 😝

I mean, no one should be getting high blood pressure over the release of a computer game in any case, but yeah, I've been around here long enough to know what you mean. 😉

I know sodium is bad for hypertension! 😂

Yeah, it's possible, who knows. I'm happy either way. One way we get it sooner, the other it gets more polish and hopefully slightly fewer bugs.

What I will say is: we don't know if the six weeks between diaries one and two means they're on a six-week turnaround, or an "about a month" turnaround and it just took longer than expected. After all, Arthur Tolmie was talking, a week or two before the second dev diary released, about just having seen an early cut that couldn't yet be released because it needed careful re-editing (and re-staging?) to excise evidence of unannounced features. As time goes on and more is announced, less and less care is needed in that respect.

So it could be as you've said, or it could be end-October DD3, early-December DD4, more reveals and a beta before Christmas. Or they could string them out till April.

One thing that would surprise me is there being no beta at all. They're saying this is the biggest update Elite has ever had. The FC update is peanuts to Odyssey and its beta process was an absolute saga (no pun intended). The game is a behemoth compared to when Horizons was added. I think there will be a lengthy beta in several stages over several weeks. Release date is for the final release, so if they're to hit the Q1 deadline, even a February/March beta launch would be pushing things.

Last edited:
Thinking about this one - does it include transport by other human players ? Would be funny, if one at last can be one of these obnoxious, complaining & hyper-sensitive characters which are so annoying when you are the captain of the vessel... 😄
And if you then could ask permission to attend the bridge, and take a seat on a vacant co-pilot chair and voice chat along with the captain...

But no. It will only be NPC transport vessels of course. And IIRC, they also said it would be limited to destinations within jump range ? So not booking a trip to Sag A*, Canis Majoris or comparable, but only within a range of say 50-60 ly at max...

Yeah, the potential for abuse otherwise would be too great. I already picked up some NPC escape pods with the intent of returning them, but when I reached the Abyss just a few jumps from Beagle Point I had to dump them to save weight. (back in pre-Engineering days) Oopsie. Hate to think what might happen with player interactions!

I'm interested to know though how it'll work. Instant transfer from one point to another? Sitting looking at a transfer screen for 2 minutes? I'd assume it'd have to be near-instant (once you've chosen your destination and paid) or it wouldn't be much worth it.

Top Bottom