Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Update 12 Update Notes

Not being able to use the side panels with station services open is getting old fast. Struggling to see what possible benefit this change has to players (I'm sure there are some edge case benefits). I want to top off the tank of my carrier while I'm waiting for a jump. I use the station services to see how much fuel I need, go to the right panel to load some onto my ship then back to station services to donate the fuel. Why the extra steps?

Starting to feel like patch 12 has slipped back from patch 11's good quality which isn't great considering the much longer lead time for this patch (comparable with patch 11).

Hopefully hotfixes are on the way very soon.

Being able to use the Q menu while sitting in the carrier is a nice QoL update thanks.

If you look back half a decade or more I had many nice and constructive things to say. But whatever I say makes no difference, the state of ED lies in Frontier's hands.

The thing is, can you refute that Frontier have become a can't do company when it comes to ED? Look at the build up to Odyssey and see what has been put to one side. And that's not painful because I say it, it's painful because Frontier have done it.
I play Odyssey nearly every day and I'm enjoying it...so much so that its the only game I play...

Yep ! It happened to me yesterday night (3070 here).

Mostly on ship very close to the ground on a planet without anything around (500Ly from Colonia), non-responsive keyboard and all...
The game was running slower and slower and got way below 1FPS (next frame occurring sometime about 20 to 30 seconds later !)
It happened to me on two different planets in the same system.
I don't recall if there was biosignals on these planets as I was too busy to try NOT to crash my ship at 0.05FPS! :eek:

I'll put a video of this here as soon as I can.

Edit: Before U12 everything was OK on the system (was landed on a planet in the system before U12, no problem, take off with U12 and the problems started to occur).
Have you tried deleting your " Graphics " folder? It will reset your graphic setting.
Cause i had same issue yesterday even got a blue screen. But after deleting the folder, no FPS drop or Blue Screen yet.

Same procedure on every update for me:
Update game -> Notice, that VR bug still present since release of Odyssey -> Close the game until next update.
Very annoying! My whole clan stopped playing this game since VR support was dropped.
When you say "this game", are you talking Elite in general or Odyssey specifically? I ask because Horizons remains a very good VR experience (best VR game in my library). Last night I enjoyed an epic battle defending an installation from an "invading" fleet. As much as I love my other space games, none come close to offering this immersive "I'm in a Star Wars movie" feeling that VR space battles in Horizons gives me.

Odyssey is marketed as an optional DLC, yet so many people treat it like it's a mandatory replacement for Horizons. I don't understand this.

Cleared out the Graphics folder, re-launched and it's been fine since, I've scanned at least 4-6 bio's Jumped at least once, and no issues with GTX3060 on ultra.
Might be worth Frontier clearing out that folder during the upgrade.
AMD card here (not with 22.5.2 drivers) and clearing out the Graphics folder made a surprising difference to average framerates in Stations and my Fleet Carrier.

It takes less than a minute to reselect your graphics preferences, so doing this after each Update could indeed be good advice.

Odyssey is marketed as an optional DLC, yet so many people treat it like it's a mandatory replacement for Horizons. I don't understand this.

Keep in mind that Odyssey is the futur of Horizon. The game will be merge like it was for Elite Dangerous and horizon. Same game, same engine jus more feature if you by the DLC.
This is a real lack of money to support 2 différent version of a same game, 2 technical stack, split of the servers for hosting the two version, each fix should be made twice (one on each version ) etc...
So basicaly the next move will be "Ok odyssey is now stable enought to merge all the player on the same game" and Hello Horizon player, we will offert the free grpahic update to the new game engine. But if you want to land on low atmospherique planete et disembark in base you need to by the extension"

The split between the two game is just because the new engine needeed to be compatible with the old gen console. Now that they act that they'r wont be anymore fix on it they just have to focus on getting it playable enougth on PC and here we go, bye bye the old version...

So yes, VR issue on Odyssey is a real issue for Horizon player.

At this point Horizons is starting to hold Odyssey back. For example there can never be any CGs with Odyssey exclusive content as long as Horizons exists, or the Horizons players would feel even more left out than the console players already do, at least those that can't/don't want to migrate to PC. A way to get out of that dilemma might be splitting the two games up for good, separating the BGS and Powerplay states, no longer mirroring the fleet carriers across both, effectively making it two separate games, each with their own set of CGs. But that would then again create massive extra workload for FDEV. It's a real catch22.

Have you tried deleting your " Graphics " folder? It will reset your graphic setting.
Cause i had same issue yesterday even got a blue screen. But after deleting the folder, no FPS drop or Blue Screen yet.
Has anyone ever run a diff on the graphics folder before and after deletion? (Maybe @Morbad?) I'm just curious to what very specific setting causes all the issues. It might give insight into further optimization steps that players can take.

Hummm.. not sure about that...
The on-foot VR could be mostly manageable using a secondary controller for on-foot gameplay (and I suppose current VR user do that currently in EDO)
No, the problem with odyssey and VR is the current game performance (computing 2 displays per frame instead of one in pancake mode).
In it's current state EDO can barely compute one display at an acceptable resolution/framerate so...
True VR in Odyssey would require a MASSIVE performance boost to be doable (and sadly, the game is really far from that right now).
could not of said it better myself ......

Odyssey and VR are a none starter .... the performance is really really bad :( shame because it was a major plus for ED having great VR support.....

Thanks for the video!
o7 @Zac Cocken I confirm what is happening in this video. It's exactly what I'm getting once I updated to U12. Got a high end machine with an nVidia RTX 3090. I have been playing the game at 144 FPS - despite for the fact that the GPU is underclocked as suggested by the Support team to get Odyssey stable (and not crashing to a black screen) while planetary on-foot activities. Also there's a degraded performance once you switch to the Galaxy and System Maps. They simply stop and dims for just a half a second. o7 and thanks.

At this point Horizons is starting to hold Odyssey back. For example there can never be any CGs with Odyssey exclusive content as long as Horizons exists, or the Horizons players would feel even more left out than the console players already do,
I'm of the opinion that if you want Odyssey content, then buy Odyssey. I won't complain if CGs start including ground settlements and other Odyssey-specific content. On the other hand, I think CGs should not totally abandon space-based gameplay, since Elite in general is still a game about flying spaceships first and foremost.

If Frontier wants to put PC Horizons in the same category as console Horizons (no new features, basically maintenance mode), I won't complain (about this very specific decision, LOL). And I don't see a need to separate the BGS for that. AFAIK even consoles continue to share the same BGS as everyone else to this day.

Top Bottom