Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 3.01 | Horizons Update

Hello!! Gosh thank you so much for nudging me - I did take this to discussion yesterday! I don't have anything to update you with regarding the situation at the moment BUT wanted to thank you hugely for the thoughts on it. Really good feedback.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing back on this. Seems to be a pretty chunky omission to make considering the originally stated of goal of gaining arx just by playing however you play, so would love to hear if the designers have a reason behind it, or if it's just not been implemented yet because it's more complex than the current ones implmented (which would make sense, there's a lot more interactions, which do you choose? All of them? if so, how do you balance it against other gameplay types?

Hi Sally, Good Morning!
Here's something trivial for a change. How is the ARX gain from bio-scans meant: instantly or after selling the data? Since I got 0 ARX after my last logout last night, but had just done 2 complete bio-scans, it can't be the former. Or does not work.
It could be, if it's recorded in invisible decimals, like, you gained 0.3 arx for those scans - but because it didn't hit 1, you gained 0.

This would probly not carry over into another session either.

Tested now, didn't have chance to test yesterday. FPS numbers (running on low graphics setting) still yellow before leaving cockpit in hangar, goes red when disembarking. On a system that held steady 120fps (capped, ultra) in Horizons. See no reason even trying to play with this, as I don't want another experience of trying to land during a 7fps slideshow. Will come back at end of June to see if Frontier are keeping their promises or if this is a case of needing review by the EU consumer rights groups.

I wrote this already in yesterday's thread, but that was very shortly before Sally was finishing the day and so was / is easy to be overseen, but I think this one is important to to look at, so repost it here:

Today at approximately 07:30 UTC / 08:30 BST, we released 'Update 3' to address a number of issues in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Optimisation

• An issue has been fixed whereby the bounding sphere used for culling was not central to the object.
I was very much hoping that this fix would also fix a culling issue in space, which can best be recognized in planetary rings. Asteroids are popping in and out of existance depending on where you are looking.

Here is a more detailed description and screenshots showing this issue in the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/38193

Could you please let us know if there are any plans or efforts for changing the mindless boring and broken grind (both ship and srv) to some actual meaningful fun gameplay? Logging on and off to farm mats in literally any other game is considered cheating yet you guys seem to think its just fine. Mindless grinding is not gameplay and honestly it feels like thats the only gameplay loop elite has which is ridiculously sad.
6 years in and still not grinding. I get all mats easily through normal gameplay, what's the rush? There's no "endgame" you have to be first to complete to "win". It's a sandbox. Join a wing and get 50 million per mission and as many mats as you can eat.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore

Hiya, another busy day eh.. ;)

Carriers have still got some nasty issues going on at the moment, links below:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/37420 -Broken Ship packs on carrier shipyards.
and
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/38170 -Broken Bloom/Glow carrier engines.

I posted an issue yesterday you took a look at (size modules wrong on the carrier) and it was fixed about two hours later! How'd you manage that - Superpowers?

Respect!

I need to stop this shortly actually because I have a whole bunch of the regular things to do today but I'm slightly addicted to this place at the moment...
Those are juicy issues! Thanks for the heads up. Happy Friday!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I wrote this already in yesterday's thread, but that was very shortly before Sally was finishing the day and so was / is easy to be overseen, but I think this one is important to to look at, so repost it here:

I was very much hoping that this fix would also fix a culling issue in space, which can best be recognized in planetary rings. Asteroids are popping in and out of existance depending on where you are looking.

Here is a more detailed description and screenshots showing this issue in the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/38193

Ah! Jadzia! So sorry you might just have missed me. I was just saying, this isn't an allocated "dedicated to forums day" today but I'm happy to keep dipping in, I might just be a little (MUCH!!) slower today with aligning here with my regular schedule of things.
Thanks for raising this! I'll take a look. Thank you!

Possible, yes. I wasn't aware that they work with decimals at all when it comes to ARX. That wouldn't be quite easy to confirm of course. That's why I asked how it's meant to be. Like many other potential bugs, it would be easier for general bug reporting if certain functions would be more explained in detail, so that I know at least if something is a bug at all or not.

Agreed, they appear a bit secretive about the specifics though, possibly so people can't "find the quickest way" or something.

Seems silly though.

And it appears.... arcane frankly, from my experience, you can do the same exact thing in two different play sessions, and get entirely different results. I believe there is some kind of dminishing returns system in place to promote "different" gameplay (though it seems that doesn't exist... as much... for some activities like trading materials)

As I say, very arcane.

6 years in and still not grinding. I get all mats easily through normal gameplay, what's the rush? There's no "endgame" you have to be first to complete to "win". It's a sandbox. Join a wing and get 50 million per mission and as many mats as you can eat.
God awful take here. Describe "normal" gameplay in a sandbox. If i just do combat and never bring collectors to min/max im not going to get mats. Oh i want to put an AX ship together to kill interceptors? Well i better engineer it to G5 or i can forget about it. That requires grinding when some mats are basically non existent and just mind numbingly boring to get. There is barely any meaningful gameplay in this so called "game". Its fun to do things the first 4-5 times, then its done.

Just wondering...
...is the server is still down?
:rolleyes: Ignore me! Just being stooopid. Didnt realise there was an 631MB update on the console (that strangely decided not to auto-update when it became available), that was preventing the connection to the server...
:whistle:

There are still a number of fixes needed that are preventing me from a full experience in VR:
  • https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/27832 DSS is basically completely broken. This issue says "Fixed" but it was not working last night in my game play session.
  • (decided not to look up individual issues, as your issue tracker refuses to track them for me) - Combat missions become broken after dying. The sequence of arriving back to the battlefield in the vulture drop ship leaves you in some sort of blind state where you can hear things going on but can't really do anything.
Non-VR critical issue:
  • Federation rank promotions seem to be broken. I've been promoted to chief petty office twice, but my rank in the status screen still says petty officer at 100% - found an issue wher a number of people reported this.

Non-critical VR issues:
  • FSS doesn't show orbit lines when zoomed in. Also the nice zoom in effect is missing.
  • Free camera external doesn't work. When i'm in VR, none of the controls work. Flat screen seems to work fine.

Grinding happens, when you are playing/working(!) in a focused style on a certain goal. That's what he meant. Like it or not, but the game does not (and never did) support focused people, that's the whole story about it. But do we really have to discuss beaten horses in this awesome thread?
Grinding is fine when you can do it without using a literal exploit. Yes, yes we do.

Top Bottom