Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 3.01 | Horizons Update

Thank you for the update, FD! I see some improvements in performance, from +3 to +10 fps. Now i have 60 fps in outposts concourses.
Ryzen R7 1700, AMD RX580 8Gb, DDR4 16Gb, 1080p High preset with medium shadows, Win7 SP1.

I do really want you to know that it's being heavily looked into and considered a priority. We'll update you with more info as soon as we've got something solid. Thanks millions for the patience.
Please understand that I mean this with no disrespect and this is certainly not personally directed at you, but there are a lot of things that are broken that should have been considered a priority prior to release. If you sense community frustration it's that much of the game that was promised wasn't implemented, the game that was implemented is broken in many aspects, and we now have, I believe, only two rounds of bugfixes - some of which are much-needed optimizations - left before we're abandoned (per the roadmap) until the console release.

The game remains very dark (like, it's literally hard to see anything), the map UIs are an awful mess (distance from where I am/system arrival is an important number, so why is it hidden by default?), the station UIs are inconsistent, and there are literally thousands of bugs ranging from frequent disconnects to missing moons (see: San Tu 5c) that need to be addressed, and yet in two weeks we're essentially being told that the game is working as intended.

There is a huge, HUGE amount of frustration among the community, and the morsels we're given and supposed to be grateful for evoke feelings that range from anger to frustration to betrayal.

Again, this is not at you, not even necessarily at the developers, but the designers and management who made the decision to release this game in a beta state and have the gall to charge us full price for it. I hate being lied to.

Still didn't fixed the 'reflexes' that make impossible to see courier's radar.
1623525862533.png

doing the current salvation quest?

I was heading back from the story planet to my current base and stopped at a planet with 7 biologicals so I drove across the planet to bio scan them.

at points I was watching the ground melt and rise as I was sitting there, plus all the invisible rocks made driving at speed.. interesting

I changed suit to my explorer suit for above.. now the crotch panel has mixed up what suits are what and I have to play russian roulette to find the right suit as the loadouts do not match whats selected

@sallymorganmoore Hello Sally! Thank you for the updates and responses! Could you let us know if anything is being done with VR to resolve the showstopper/game-breaking issues (e.g., DSS, free camera, blank screens in CZ after death, etc.)? Any news on actually optimizing VR considering there is an enormous number of players who can't play their favorite game because of these issues (including me!).

Thank you for any word.

I've given up on Elite now, the fiasco over Odyssey has killed off any enthusiasm I had for the game - all it took was loading Odyssey ~3 times and seeing how badly it ran (I've only played Horizons since).

It sounds like I wasn't a fan of the game right ? - No, I got to Deadly back in '85, and I'm currently double Elite status - and bought a TWCS throttle and Logitech 3D Extreme stick to play it even more as recently as 24th April this year. I even made my own desk mounts for them !

It's left more than a sour taste, I'm bitter about it.

PS Is is possible to have some free ARX please as compensation for this frustration? (If you dont ask you dont get!! ;-)
For me, if we all were given ARX as compensation for what WAS my favorite game becoming an unplayable slideshow, would deepen the wound, not lessen it. Which is another reason I experience fdev's focus on the ARX instead of keeping their initial promise ("If it could run Horizons it will run Odyssey", before they later changed their minds and released an upped requirements, after already having my money) as another slap in the face.

And quite frankly, knowing that they are going to backport parts of this sabotage of a great game into Horizons (meaning Horizons is on borrowed time and life support) means I pretty much can't get my enthusiasm up for that either. The changes in the way their rendering engine works is so bad that the same PC that ran 120fps (capped) with gamecaster running and streaming, gets 7fps on landings, while not streaming now. It will take a lot of effort from any fdev employee before I ever again trust them, no matter what company they are with.

gets 7fps on landings, while not streaming now.
I really wonder how that happens. Maybe some special hardware devices have to be addressed here. But in my case with a quite old computer with a Geforce 1070 it still runs very good in settings "high". The lowest FPS are about 40 in settlements. Everything else runs even faster. But I set it up to steady 45 FPS to prevent changes. So it feels a bit more evenly distributed and thus predictibable to control. Also it protects my device from overheating.

The only situation where I get 7 FPS is, when I double the resolution via super sampling. That looks great. It removes all the aliasing. But it indeed is too much for my hardware in this game.

Last edited:
Tested the new update and it is smoother for me now! It feels that the all around experience is slightly better after every update. Thanks for the hard work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom