Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The New World beta caused some EVGA RTX 3090 cards to brick. Will Amazon buy new cards for those unlucky people? A strong worded letter might help.

The New World beta revealed a design flaw and/or manufacturing defect in some video cards. All cards EVGA makes with the FTW3 PCB have an issue with transient loads (like the kind you get when running a menu at ~2000 fps) and weak samples will fail in such conditions. The original PBC revision also has a flawed current balance that allows it to pull more than rated spec from the PCI-E slot when loaded anywhere near the power limit on the cards using official 420/450w firmware. Other models are failing at a much lower rate, typical of what happens when any large sample of parts is pushed by anything.

Amazon is not at fault here. They can, and have, mitigated the issue by capping frame rate in menus, but application level caps should never be required to prevent hardware from damaging itself. The onus here is on GPU manufacturers to sell components that do not fail when operating within spec and do not allow normal applications to exceed whatever specification limits have been imposed.

If a card fails because you left it on the New World menu (or played Elite: Dangerous without a framerate cap for that matter) for a thousand hours, then it was either already broken, or it wasn't run as intended with regard to power delivery and environmental conditions.

Is this the reason why some people says it runs fine even if it doesn't?

What's 'fine' is subjective.

No, a 960 can't run odyssey "fine" on full 1080p, i have a 980M (which should perform between a 960 and a 970) and it's way under 30 FPS on settlements and CZ with 0.75 supersampling

It's good enough for salad hunting though :)

For fast paced shooty stuff good (high, stable) framerate is king, preferably at high resolution to pick out fine detail at a distance and FDev's lack of experience here is obvious but most of the time in ED the action isn't fast paced and resolving distant detail isn't crucial.

I have a friend who has a beefy PC with a GTX950. He doesn't play ED at the moment (and probably couldn't play Odyssey anyway) but he has limited room & a 1280x1024 monitor - his GTX950 plays games well enough for his needs simply because it isn't drawing as many pixels as my 1080ti trying to run a 4k 43" monitor where downscaling makes the game look awful.

This is probably strange, but in most games I have more than 60 FPS at ultra graphics settings.
:)

I used to share CZ missions between 3 accounts running EDH simultaneously on my PC at 120Hz Ultra 2560x1080 (3 separate installation folders : frontier, steam and epic).
Now, I can't even do 120Hz ultra with only one account running EDO without abusing my GPU.

I hope this will be addressed soon.

I used to share CZ missions between 3 accounts running EDH simultaneously on my PC at 120Hz Ultra 2560x1080 (3 separate installation folders : frontier, steam and epic).
Now, I can't even do 120Hz ultra with only one account running EDO without abusing my GPU.

I hope so too. Playing Elite (pre edo) was like placing your GPU in a retirement home and feeding it soft foods...

Solía compartir misiones CZ entre 3 cuentas que ejecutan EDH simultáneamente en mi PC a 120Hz Ultra 2560x1080 (3 carpetas de instalación separadas: frontier, steam y epic).
Ahora, ni siquiera puedo hacer 120Hz ultra con una sola cuenta ejecutando EDO sin abusar de mi GPU.

Espero que esto se solucione pronto.

Currently I do it with oddysey, I have epic games, I ran each account on a different Windows user, the consumption is low and works very well, at 1080 I currently do it with oddysey, I have epic games, I ran each account on a different Windows user, the consumption is low, and it works very well, at 1080 everything in High , both multi-rump and multiplayer work seamlessly

I played ED:Horizons and it worked, could play it for hours without problems, i took a break for longer time, i come back and now i have like 1 min of playtime before getting disconnected with mauve adder error, i remember that i had an exception in the firewall for the game, and nothing more, but because this happend i tried to use the port forwarding (game options and on router) and that did not fix it, it looks like i wont be able to play until Frontier finds an proper solution.

Try setting up port forwarding on the router and in-game (if you haven't already)

I'd also verify the game files as we're on Update 6 now.

Note from me:

Edit to Patch Notes:
Added - Rebalanced data port loot buckets for better spawn levels across all data - Smear Campaigns & Settlement Defence Plans included to Updates Of Note.
Hi Sally, just wanted to bring something to your attention. Settlement Defence plans are almost impossible to find in game, they spawn incredibly rarely. ive seen a number of commanders complain about this on the forums and have experienced it myself. I did a search and found this from update 5 where data spawn rates were rebalanced to make Smear Campaigns and Settlement Defence Plans easier to find. It seems to have worked for Smear Campaigns, but i think something must have gone wrong with Settlement Defence Plans. If you could check into this it would be awesome and would really help a lot of commanders with their engineer unlocks.

Thanks

Hi Sally, just wanted to bring something to your attention. Settlement Defence plans are almost impossible to find in game, they spawn incredibly rarely. ive seen a number of commanders complain about this on the forums and have experienced it myself. I did a search and found this from update 5 where data spawn rates were rebalanced to make Smear Campaigns and Settlement Defence Plans easier to find. It seems to have worked for Smear Campaigns, but i think something must have gone wrong with Settlement Defence Plans. If you could check into this it would be awesome and would really help a lot of commanders with their engineer unlocks.

Thanks
Honestly, I think that all Odyssey engineering needs to be tweaked, especially data. I don't expect to be spoon fed things, but I also don't expect to need to work a week to acquire a low quantity of a thing, which is exceedingly frustrating. For people that only have an hour or two a day to play, it can make engineering out of reach, in my opinion.

Honestly, I think that all Odyssey engineering needs to be tweaked, especially data. I don't expect to be spoon fed things, but I also don't expect to need to work a week to acquire a low quantity of a thing, which is exceedingly frustrating. For people that only have an hour or two a day to play, it can make engineering out of reach, in my opinion.
It seems that at the beginning of the year there was a poll about what needs to be redone for mining materials and engineering.
And when will the results be available?

It would help if the bartenders were allowed to trade data as well as the other categories of materials. It's odd that they can't.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom