Elite Dangerous Odyssey: Update 8.01 Notes

I haven't tried any since 8.0, let alone 8.01, but it all depends on the behavior of the mission status box. If gets pushed off the top of the list of boxes (ie, so it moves down) shortly after disembarking, it will get killed after a timeout (box fade time, I guess), and when this happens, restore missions don't progress properly. Not only that, but just getting in and out of a vehicle (ship or srv) resets the mission state (but not the settlement).

So it's a combination of the mission box disappearing and disembarkation resetting the mission state.

If you notice the status box is missing before you put out any fires, you can take out the power regulator, board and disembark until the status box stays put, then power up the settlement. If you notice after putting out fires, you have to retrieve your PR, reset the settlement (super cruise trick), then return and start over.
I'm sorry for my bad english, but please could you explain better what happens and how to "solve" the problem? I can't understand what "before you put out any fires" means, but the whole post is somewhat "foggy" to me.

Sorry again.

@sallymorganmoore Good morning, week and month!

There is a bug with Fleet Carrier Inventory: The quantities of the Buy Orders for materials are added to the total Carrier inventory twice.
For example: Suppose the carrier has a total occupied inventory of 24800 tonnes.
It also has a buy order of 200 tonnes Silver (which was normally included in the 24800 tonnes upon the creation of the buy order).
So it has 200 free space for storage.
If my T-9 has 250 tonnes of silver and I want to transfer it to my FC, the moment I click on the right arrow to transfer even 1 tonne from the ship to the carrier, the total inventory will become 24800 + 200 +1 = 25001 and it won't let me transfer.
We can bypass the problem if we go to carrier management, delete the buy order (wherever it's created, i.e. commodities or secure warehouse) and retry. Then the transfer will succeed.

I've not created a ticket for this :), but it's easily verifiable.

Buy orders are supposed to reserve the space (and the credits) needed to buy the commodity.
The remaining quantity may be 24800 but you reserved 200 more that may be put in your fleet carrier inventory at any time by someone else. Because the FC has a limit of 25000 units, you can't add anything in your inventory until you lower the quantity requested in your buy orders.
Soooo, no bug here...

Last edited:
Buy orders are supposed to reserve the space (and the credits) needed to buy the commodity.
The remaining quantity may be 24800 but you reserved 200 more that may be put in your fleet carrier inventory at any time by someone else.
Soooo, no bug here...
You're wrong. I know they're supposed to reserve the space, they do it upon their creation. "Reserve" being the keyword, they don't show up suddenly.
My screen shows 24800 / 25000. As long as I move even one tonne from the ship to the carrier, which would make it 24801 / 25000, it remembers to add the previously reserved quantity to the total, making it 25001 and it refuses.
Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself if you have a carrier.
Edit: I just rechecked, when you create a new buy order, the space is reserved immediately.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for my bad english, but please could you explain better what happens and how to "solve" the problem? I can't understand what "before you put out any fires" means, but the whole post is somewhat "foggy" to me.

Sorry again.
No worries.

First, this is what has been happening for me since update 6 or 7 (I don't remember now), and may be separate to other people's reports.

For me, when I disembark from either ship or SRV, the mission status box (shows objectives checklist) is always displayed, and is at the top of any other message boxes (unsafe temperature, ship name, etc), but sometimes one of the other boxes will move above the mission status box. When this happens, a few seconds later the mission status box fades out just like any of the message boxes, and the mission cannot progress (fetch missions can, but only if I've noted down the key code).

If I notice the mission status box missing before I turn on the settlement power, the fix is simply boarding and disembarking again until the mission status box stays at the top and does not fade out. This has sometimes taken several goes to "fix".

For restore missions with fires to put out, if I notice the status is missing after restoring power but before putting out any of the fires, retrieving the power regulator then doing the board/disembark dance is sufficient to "fix" the mission.

If I notice the status is missing after having put out any fires, I have to retrieve the power regulator, supercruise away from the settlement and return (in order to reset the fires), then do the dance to ensure the status stays put.

Due to not wanting to deal with broken missions in update 8, I've gone out to the black, so I can't double check things work the way I said for all missions, but I did have the problem with some in-person delivery and pickup missions, same solution (but no fires or power regulator to worry about).

Did a few restore missions tonight, and the frame rate is noticeably improved (and I considered it acceptably playable before, if not brilliant). Well done team.

@sallymorganmoore i'm not sure if this has been reported yet but there is clearly something wrong with the AI of the on-foot infantry on ground conflict zones, they are rarely running now and are just slowly walking towards hostiles and objectives, this is very noticeable once they are deployed from the dropships, before Update 8 they would be deployed and start running towards objectives, now they just slowly make their way to them, it also seems they are way less aggressive now and their engangement distance has been greatly reduced, even sharpshooters which would open fire from a very long distance are now trying to get up close to actually start shooting. These issues make ground czs very dull since everyone is just trying to slowly reach each other and objectives and only firing when at very close distances.

Hopefully you can look into this, other than some other minor issues Update 8 has been a great improvement so far, especially performance, thanks for the team hard work!

OK... I tried out the new patch yesterday. My experience concerning performance:

Concourses: very strange behaviour... at first everything went smooth as silk, then I alt-tabbed out and the frames went ape-s#!t. Also some annoying hiccups here and there even when FPS are good (also all of a sudden FPS dropped in the hangar once, which I never had before). Framedops feel like they occur completely randomly...
EDIT: OK... looks like alt-tabbing is not the best idea... after running around for a while everything went back to smooth.

Settlements: really big improvement, especially in terms on freezes, cause I had none! Visited three locations and also had some firefights... frames weren't super stable, but pretty good and NO freezes! Have to give you that.

Additional to that one strange framedrop in the hangar I also had a framedrop in a dogfight (!) which also has never happened before. It stayed playable, but that didn't make it less annoying.

On the positive side I'd say that I now have faith in FDEV being able to fix performance in the long run... it'll just take more time. Although I hope it will be within a reasonable amount of time!

EDIT: might as well ask here... is there some way to make suggestions for small improvements? Can I make suggestions using the tracker or how can one do that?

8700-k
Red Devil 5700XT
16 GB Ram

Last edited:
I've found an interesting symptom of the progressive slowdowns. Under normal conditions (game running fairly well (for certain values of "well")), my PCIe bandwidth utilization is less than 10%. When things go bad, utilization is 35-50%. Also, Used Dedicated Memory is at 8102MB of 8119 total dedicated (8192 total memory).
[edit] Turns out it can be "ok" at 50%, so possibly not reliable info.
But aren't you playing in wine/linux?

I'd think it'd be counter productive to report performance issues unless specifically indicating that this happens on wine/linux? I have some performance issues in EDH, but I won't report them in threads like this as it's an unsupported platform. Other types of bugs would probably be less confusing to report, especially if other commanders see them.

But aren't you playing in wine/linux?

I'd think it'd be counter productive to report performance issues unless specifically indicating that this happens on wine/linux? I have some performance issues in EDH, but I won't report them in threads like this as it's an unsupported platform. Other types of bugs would probably be less confusing to report, especially if other commanders see them.
I did forget to mention Linux explicitly in that post, but I have mentioned it before, indeed.
However, data is data, even if it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, and may even be helpful precisely because it is a different platform. It's up to FDev to decide whether my data is of any use to them. While I hope my info is useful to FDev, I don't expect them to do much with it.

Anyway, I have to say that I've seen definite improvements with update 8: a lot of 200+ fps in space in Ultra at 1920x1080, and up to over 100fps on foot (looking up so not a lot of ground in view). Never broke 90 on foot before.

I did forget to mention Linux explicitly in that post, but I have mentioned it before, indeed.
However, data is data, even if it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, and may even be helpful precisely because it is a different platform. It's up to FDev to decide whether my data is of any use to them. While I hope my info is useful to FDev, I don't expect them to do much with it.

Anyway, I have to say that I've seen definite improvements with update 8: a lot of 200+ fps in space in Ultra at 1920x1080, and up to over 100fps on foot (looking up so not a lot of ground in view). Never broke 90 on foot before.
Maybe a mention of the platform in a signature? At least so that they won't waste time chasing something that is a wine/linux issue and not something occuring on windows.

Mind you I agree that it might show up bugs and be useful information, but at the moment they have so much on the table that it would be a pity muddying the picture with data from wine/linux (at least IMO).

The problem I see is that any issue you report might be due to a bug/performance issue with wine, dxvk the linux drivers, or even linux in general.

But this is a forum and I've said more than enough now. Carry on commanders! :D

The problem I see is that any issue you report might be due to a bug/performance issue with wine, dxvk the linux drivers, or even linux in general.
While all too true, how many issues experienced by windows users have been due to dx, windows drivers, or windows in general? :)
Just some food for thought.

While it's been a while and wine will certainly have made great strides by now, it has always lagged well behind the latest development of the Windows environment. I find it very hard to imagine that anything fundamental has changed in this regard.
Proton happened.

BTW, interesting little personal anecdote from a while back. My brother got Tomb Raider Anniversary with his new graphics card (don't remember the exact model, but a wierd sized memory (384MB?) Nvidia card (this was back in 2007). He got to a certain stage and it kept crashing (on Windows). A few years later he gave me the card. I was playing TRA on it using Linux and Wine (and the Linux NVidia drivers)... got to the same stage and it kept crashing (iirc, system hard-lock). On a whim I tried the nouveau drivers... it stopped crashing, and I was able to play all 3 of that reboot series (though I did have to turn off snow effects in one of them).

It would really be so much easier to be able to control the emote wheel with the mouse-wheel. Whizzing around it to choose the emote would become so much better.
Using the mouse with no reference point is way too clumsy making the emote wheel almost unusable.

Last edited:
Proton happened.

BTW, interesting little personal anecdote from a while back. My brother got Tomb Raider Anniversary with his new graphics card (don't remember the exact model, but a wierd sized memory (384MB?) Nvidia card (this was back in 2007). He got to a certain stage and it kept crashing (on Windows). A few years later he gave me the card. I was playing TRA on it using Linux and Wine (and the Linux NVidia drivers)... got to the same stage and it kept crashing (iirc, system hard-lock). On a whim I tried the nouveau drivers... it stopped crashing, and I was able to play all 3 of that reboot series (though I did have to turn off snow effects in one of them).
BTW, I didn't want to imply that you shouldn't post your bugs and observations, just IMO add a wine/linux disclaimer.

I just don't want the devs to be sidetracked, they have enough to do at the moment! :D

And yes, proton happened and there are a loads of windows games that run fine on linux.

Edit: Just added a disclaimer myself! :D

Last edited:
So, are the missions fixed?
I'd avoid to loose REP again...

EDIT

Well, it worked this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom