Elite Dangerous Odyssey: Update 8.01 Notes

Short version: I'm experiencing vastly different frame rates when returning to the same location.

I started the game and flew to a station, disembarked and was getting 60fps everywhere I looked.

This is an agri station where I normally get 45+

Smooth and stutter-free. And I noticed my GPU was running at 85-95%, which is unusual in Odyssey. Normally it's 70% or so.

Very nice - but there's more below.

20211103144745_1.jpg

Took an apex to the nearby planet to collect a parcel for a mission. Settlement was running at 40+ fps with some slowdowns and stutters.

This is the relevant part though: when I returned to the first station, disembarked, and without changing a thing in-game or on my PC, it's now 40fps everywhere.

Not only that, my GPU is maxed at 70%

20211103153450_1.jpg

Something kicked off between leaving the station and returning - maybe a whole bunch of zombie threads related to the system map (maybe it never finished loading?) or the AI pathing at the settlement, or just in-game loops which are churning away when they should have been terminated after I moved to a different instance.

Whatever it is, it's not hardware related (as many have pointed out) and it's not related to graphics settings either (ditto.)

Something kicked off between leaving the station and returning - maybe a whole bunch of zombie threads related to the system map (maybe it never finished loading?) or the AI pathing at the settlement, or just in-game loops which are churning away when they should have been terminated after I moved to a different instance.
Check your GPU memory usage. I found mine is not maxed out when things are running nicely, but is maxed out when things are slow (in the same location). It would be nice to have more data points on this (rather than just my Linux viewpoint)

Returned to the station just now. When I got there and emerged from the lift GPU ram was on 65%, frames 45. For a few seconds the GPU ram usage climbed until hitting 87%, at which point frames levelled off at 60 fps again.

I just returned from visiting 3 small outpost stations using an Apex, haven't restarted the game since my previous post so something cleared those bottlenecks.

I'm going to visit a settlement now and return, to see whether I get the 40fps scenario again.

Incidentally, I'm using Medium Texture Quality, not High. Figured it might involve lower-res assets and less vram usage, maybe.

20211103182623_1.jpg
1635935203891.png

Each game screenshot below was taken 2-3 sec before the screenshot of the hardware monitor.

In the Apex on the way to the settlement

1635935584338.png

Emerged from glide:

1635935731182.png
20211103183516_1.jpg

After setting down:

1635935775327.png
20211103183604_1.jpg

At the settlement (no stuttering here):

1635935866454.png
20211103183735_1.jpg

Just got my first stutters as the apex approached:

1635936015938.png
20211103183955_1.jpg

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore

After a short hiatus I gave it a try. But no dice: My very first attempt to plot a route ended in a CTD from a local map.
Seems that the last update didn't change the cause.
Possibly just bad luck if I crash after some time when I first log in. But this "coincidence" is not very motivating...
You must have a bunch of crash reports from me by now, the current one even commented (hint: my forum name is my player name).
Gotcha. On it! Ta.

I'll piggyback on Rat Catchers comment. If somebody takes a look at cosmetics, could you also check the Pumpkin string lights.

mBjGedd.png

On the left: How they are supposed to look like and how they look in Horizons. Green lights, orange jack o'lanterns.
On the right: Odyssey, everything is a yellow blob.

:(

I'll piggyback on Rat Catchers comment. If somebody takes a look at cosmetics, could you also check the Pumpkin string lights.

mBjGedd.png

On the left: How they are supposed to look like and how they look in Horizons. Green lights, orange jack o'lanterns.
On the right: Odyssey, everything is a yellow blob.

:(
I like the look of those in Horizons too!
Sadly I now only have 1800 Arx left... Damn those new suits!... I won't buy more Arx now, not until the fripperies we do spend money on look good in both EDH & EDO.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this...at a certain type of Tourist settlement, a structure is missing. So far, only seen it in the Fullerene C60 system (Bianchi's Serenity, Khatri's Resort, Bedi Inn, for example). Next to the PWR building, there is usually a structure containing crates, a terminal, a charge point, and a locked chest. These are all still there, but the building is missing and there's a big hole in the ground over which said objects are now floating.
missing bit02.jpg
missing bit01.jpg

//
Not sure if this is the Engineer that is being "looked into" But BALTANOS does not unlock. I was allied with Colonia Council for years and engineer still says I need to get Friendly status... (Yes landed in Colonia, yes relogged in Colonia, yes used emotes to no avail)
/
EliteAlliedNoEngineer.jpg

//
Not sure if this is the Engineer that is being "looked into" But BALTANOS does not unlock. I was allied with Colonia Council for years and engineer still says I need to get Friendly status... (Yes landed in Colonia, yes relogged in Colonia, yes used emotes to no avail)
/
View attachment 273750
You have to do an action that changes your rep with Colonia Council iirc.

You have to do an action that changes your rep with Colonia Council iirc.
//
Already ALLIED, so I have to loose rep? Engineer writeup in the Engineer tab says get Friendly status. Where are you reading that I have to do an action that changes rep? Just curious.
//

//
Already ALLIED, so I have to loose rep? Engineer writeup in the Engineer tab says get Friendly status. Where are you reading that I have to do an action that changes rep? Just curious.
//
Not losing rep per se, but changing your internal rep count by an action, for example a mission.
Try it, pretty sure it should work.

Edit there were some threads about it, at breakfast so can't search

//
//
If we were to be pedantic, and there's no way to tell whether it's by design or oversight, Allied is not Friendly. Who knows how it's coded?

If we were to be pedantic, and there's no way to tell whether it's by design or oversight, Allied is not Friendly. Who knows how it's coded?

It's probably coded to check rep on rep movement.
IF you are allied and you dont do anything to force a calculation (doing a mission or failing a mission or doing some bounties or selling some data) its probably not triggered

It's probably coded to check rep on rep movement.
IF you are allied and you dont do anything to force a calculation (doing a mission or failing a mission or doing some bounties or selling some data) its probably not triggered
You're probably right, but when in doubt I usually take FDev absolutely literally.

//
//
I was already max allied (full bar, could've been 99,9%) and just completed a donation mission to get the invite, though having a script that runs through everyone who currently meets the criteria and sending them an invite would be nice so people can get notified in game about it without having to read the news or patch notes.

The mission update is broken again:
as the previous one was succesfull, i took 2 reactivation missions.
I did'nt look at the hud updates, but in the end the settlement was powered but no mission update:
Moirai(4 a)_2021-11-09_10-25-57.jpg
Moirai(4 a)_2021-11-09_10-25-54.jpg

Top Bottom