Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

When I drop out of super cruse at stations, it takes a few seconds for it to actually show up on screen. Also my engine trails continue on through the station as if it wasn't even there. Also the holographic advertising at the mail slot has been missing or completely randomly placed.

Last edited:
Welp, I'm now sitting out my notoriety 'cause I got fined by a mission giver. And also wanted by the other faction that owns the system.

It was one of the new "deliver contraband" missions.

The person I was tasked to deliver to was a guard. Things got heated (admittedly due to an interaction with another guard) and I didn't check the name before returning fire on their backup.

The question is - if I'm supposed to deliver contraband to them, and they're a guard... will they still perform normal guard behaviour like scans? Pretty hard to deliver contraband to them if that's the case.

I reinstall the game and that is, no update for me :(

27102021ED.PNG

Since the main objection to the mixing is that it takes up precious reward slots, perhaps it would be good to have four reward options: credits, inf/rep, ship mat, foot mat.
It would be nice, but i could live with the current slots and mixed loot for the material slot (i'd say it should be mixed even for the ship missions, but it would make things too complicated to handle who doesn't own Odyssey)

It would be nice, but i could live with the current slots and mixed loot for the material slot (i'd say it should be mixed even for the ship missions, but it would make things too complicated to handle who doesn't own Odyssey)
Ah, yes, my point was that ship and on-foot mats would be available from both mission boards. But no, I think it would not overly complicate things for dealing with non-Odyssey players: they just wouldn't see on-foot mats.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LKx
@sallymorganmoore
I can confirm that mats are now showing up at Dav's Hope in EDO, but the performance in the SRV while driving around at Dav's Hope is half of what I'm used to have in EDH (to an extend that I switch back to EDH for Dav's Hope).

I can not confirm what I have read in another report, that there is no sound when collecting mats in the SRV. I hear the collection-sound.

More details:
- Core i7 700
- GeForce GTX 1650
- 16 GB RAM
- 1080p
- SRV with night vision
- ultra graphic settings (with a 1-2 minor tweaks like increased field of view)
- EDH: 50-60 FPS (more towards 60 than 50)
- EDO: 20-30 FPS (most of the time towards 22)

And a general note about Dav's Hope... in EDO it is boring: Flat surface, no challenge to drive around.
No mountain-view (and at the opposite of the body... going to Dav's Hope in EDH and switching to EDO shows some mountains... not as high as in EDH, but still, not just a flat horizon).

Driving around in EDH is more pleasant, as you have to pay attention to the little humps (if you are too fast, you jump into a structure or you need to drive back to take the corner as you wanted to take it). There's also more flair to it in EDH due to not just being a flat surface but the terrain having "geological structure" (and the big mountain next to it giving it also more sense in the comlink messages... yes, you can mine down into the ground, but the mountain gives more flair to it).

I'm not seeing a way to pin Odyssey Engineer blueprints (Colonia) unless I'm missing something?
(thought there was something in patch notes about an icon showing required materials for pinned EDO blueprints)

Baltanos .. is hilarious though.

About performance, i still did limited testing, but looks like an overall slight improvement.
I did a CZ, and i didn't suffer of the initial freeze i had in u7, framerate seemed to be slightly better, and overall it felt a bit smoother (actually it felt better than the framerate i actually read, it probably dropped less dramatically than usual).
However this could have been settlement related, so i have to try more different CZs.

Tau Ceti system at Bells Wreck planet.
Scavenger missions will not update to complete when retrieving the item and leaving the area.
Missions were taken from Graham's Orbital in same system.

Performance is similair to U7, quite poor.

@sallymorganmoore This is what I mean when I mention the mission status getting into the wrong position and then later (a few seconds) being removed from the screen. It sometimes takes a few board/disembark cycles to get it to stay put (this time, it's taking several goes).

Anyway, the mission status started in the top position, but something pushed the ship name box above the status box, then the status box disappeared around the same time as the temperature warning. If no other box gets pushed above the status box, it stays put.

This bug makes it quite difficult to complete fetch missions (lose location and keycode, or (new with 8) the target NPC), and can make restore missions impossible to complete without a settlement reset (if I don't notice until after putting out a fire), or just plain annoying if I notice after restoring power (that three minute shutdown time, and I have to get back to a vehicle to board/disembark). And then boarding/disembarking resets the rest of the mission, including respawning scavengers (sometimes).

Attachments

• Screenshot_0826.jpg
    Screenshot_0826.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 44

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It may have been mentioned over night but I just thought I'd say that the cockpit glass has once again had an absolute nightmare during the update. There are so many marks on the screen when star light hits it now it looks pretty bad.
This was taken a couple of months ago
jN9Cmv6h.jpg

This was taken last night
a4YvxmRh.jpg

As you move around then the spots appear and disappear.

Not many people seem to mention the improvement to shadows. I run a HD1060 and shadows totally killed the frame rate. FPS would drop by 30 or more going from ultra to low settings. On any of these setting the shadows flickered and where annoying. I had the choice a playable frame rate and an annoying flickering shadow which I didnt seem able to ignore, or an improved image with a FPS of around 10 on a planet. This has greatly improved on this patch. The effect of the shadow settings is only 10ish and the flickering has gone. I can now run ultra shadows on planets and get a 30 FPS. On horizons I got a steady 60 FPS so there is more to do but its the first time a patch has actually done anything.

Concerning another Colonia Engineer: Rosa Dayette

I only got the invite for her after I sold 10x Culinary Recipes to the Bartender, previously I had sold 10x Cocktail Recipes which didn't give me the invite.

When I sold the Cocktail Recipes, I sold 9 and then 1 straight after, instead of 10 in one go (in a previous update, when you sold Smear Campaign Plans to unlock an Engineer, selling the final one would use a error and crash the client - this was fixed quickly though).

However, when I sold the Culinary Recipes, I sold all 10 at once, and received the invite when I relogged.

From what I've experienced, the issue seems to be either that Cocktail Recipes don't work for the unlock / you have to sell 10 in one go - and not sell them separately like I did at first / or that it may be more than 10 to unlock and the text is wrong.

Using a GTX 1050 Ti, i7 3770, 16GB Ram, running at 1080p

Good News:-

FPS improved significantly with Station Concourse, Planet Plant Scanning and Planetary Ports concourses. So much so I was able to move from Low to Mid Graphical quality. My Clipper mow lands on the ground again (Yeah).

Bad News:-
When entering a planetary settlement, the FPS drops down to 15-20 fps on Mid Quality. Had to drop it back down to Low in order to get the FPS above 30.
There seems to be a drop in the fps numbers the longer I play. After an hour I was getting 20 fps on a station concourse. Restarting the game seemed to reset the FPS to 40-50.

So

Top Bottom