Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

Quick PSA: extra backpack capacity seems like it's broken after patch 8.

I have a maverick suit with 10 data storage normally which was upgraded to 20 with extra back pack space.

Whenever I have 11+ data downloaded all data in excess of the standard 10 is lost on relaunch of the game. It's as if it's not registering the upgrade.

I was able to consistently replicate the issue and made a video and support ticket.

Not worth pinging Sally for this.
I've seen this one too - I would say it IS worth Sally knowing about @sallymorganmoore

Sounds to me like you downloaded some alarmed data (little bell icon) without turning off the settlement alarms. This is indeed as intended.

Thanks I'll check for the icon next time, must admit as I wasnt doing a mission it didnt register to check the legality of the data.

I had such a mission last night.
Download data from an Agri Data port. The data port was in an empty round Agri building with a clear entrance. Easy-peasy.

But the data itself was alarmed (the little bell icon) and the Settlement alarms were in the PWR building with no outside entrance - was connected only to a huge agri/research type building, very convoluted, full of NPC - guards included, and with several restricted areas along the way.

Quite nightmarish - but i did it eventually, albeit one guard had to bite the floor - my mistake, i panicked 🤷‍♂️
Looking in hindsight, i could have erased my stolen ID, let the guard scan me then steal its ID - thus completing the mission flawlessly, with no casualties.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hi @sallymorganmoore, a bit of feedback and issues on multicrew:
Even though connectivity seems definitely improved there are a couple issues that if fixed would immensely help the multicrew experience:

- Accepted shared mission disappears from transaction panel if there is a disconnect. If the mission is still ongoing this is just a mild annoyance as the mission holder can re share the mission with the crew member who had the disconnect upon his return.

But if the disconnect happens after the mission has been completed and before returning to deliver at the station then the mission holder can not share it anymore and the player who had the disconnect losses the mission and its eventual rewards after having done all the work.

It would be awesome if there was a way for the game to remember after disconnect that a player completed a shared mission so upon re log the completed mission was still in the transactions panel as completed and ready for delivery.

This would probably mean the game would need to remember the player was in a wing before the disconnect and would automatically offer him to re-wing upon relog or similar. Also I would suggest to eliminate the need for the original mission holder to deliver the mission at a terminal before the crew members with whom he has shared the mission can deliver it themselves.

Issue tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44339

- “Boarding Denied” error when a multicrew wing tries to change ship. It seems this issue happens pretty much all the time. The crew wing is stuck to the first ship they use (except the new ship owner) and if we want to change ship then we are forced to disband the wing, recreate a new one and then board the new ship. Would be great if we could swap freely.

This issue is compounded with the above as any shared missions will disappear from the crew mates transaction panels upon disband of the wing and would need to be re shared. A real pain.

Issue tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44340

- Ability to share a new mission after completion but before delivery at station. This is not a bug per se but at present a crew member can not share a new mission until the one that he has shared has been finally delivered at the station. This prevents crews to perform several missions that may be in the same area and forces them to go back to the station to deliver every time before a new mission can be shared.

It would be great if once a shared mission has been completed but not yet delivered at the station the crew member who shared that mission could share a new one before returning to the station. Or better yet, allow players to share more than just 1 mission at a time.
Further context and relevant to the first issue described above: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qmv0dg Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qmv0dg/team_mission_disconnects_suck/

Last edited:
Greetings, can anyone please confirm if the engineers in Colonia are active. In particular the one where you have to visit 5 settlements ,

I know I’ve visited far more than 5 I can assure you, but for the sake of testing, I did another 5 after the update, I landed, disembarked, and at least waited until I got the information in my helmet hud, confirming the faction and my status. On other bases, I purposely went and got scanned, to see if that made a difference. Nope, the visits are not being tracked correctly. I know it’s being looked at by the devs, as Artur mentioned it last week during a streaming session.

Im also having major stuttering during normal walking particularly whilst negotiating corners or staircases. I run a 1060 Ti 6gb nvidea , a SSD and 144hz monitor. all graphics are set to low or medium and fps capped to 60. I say this because as it is at the moment the planetary graphics on glide approach are pants. I can get them to look better but I end up lagging out .

The good news is I’m treating myself myself to a new pc for Christmas, I live in hope that the devs can get the game stable, until then it’s better I stick to Horizons.

until then, fly safe o7

Can someone please explain to me why the console community is being completely ignored and any forum post saying that we are is being shut doing? the Community management team need to start bringing up the lack of information every video they release at this point to show Fdev this treatment isn't acceptable. whilst the console community have nothing, the PC community are getting extra plants in stations and a new SRV that by all accounts will be useless in the combat loops in ED:O. We have been begging FDev to give us a fair release date or split our bgs from the PC so it can't affect us. but all we get is blocked and locked. at this point, it feels like they don't want to tell us we are not getting odyssey because they don't want to lose the money from arks. we are now begging for a road map, whist PC players are demanding better taxi services and getting it.

The community is broken and Fdev and the community team have a lot of trust to gain back, but until then players and payers are going to get angry and the more you all ignore them, the nasty replies and interactions will become the norm.

Can someone please explain to me why the console community is being completely ignored and any forum post saying that we are is being shut doing? the Community management team need to start bringing up the lack of information every video they release at this point to show Fdev this treatment isn't acceptable. whilst the console community have nothing, the PC community are getting extra plants in stations and a new SRV that by all accounts will be useless in the combat loops in ED:O. We have been begging FDev to give us a fair release date or split our bgs from the PC so it can't affect us. but all we get is blocked and locked. at this point, it feels like they don't want to tell us we are not getting odyssey because they don't want to lose the money from arks. we are now begging for a road map, whist PC players are demanding better taxi services and getting it.

The community is broken and Fdev and the community team have a lot of trust to gain back, but until then players and payers are going to get angry and the more you all ignore them, the nasty replies and interactions will become the norm.
It's quite simple. The original Odyssey release was awful. The performance for everything except plant scanning / exploration was impossible on what would have been a recommended Horizons Spec machine. That recommended Horizon's spec is also higher than the Xbox-1 and PS4 capabilities, so there's no way the release build would run in a way that would be acceptable. Look at Cyberpunk.

They've taken the decision to concentrate on the PC version (the largest proportion of players) and get Odyssey working as it should. They're getting there. Update 8 is the state where I think the game should have been released. However, even then it still has performance problems in certain areas and if you try to run it on a Xbox equivalent PC, the frame rate is horrible. There is update 9 in December and update 10 in the New Year (I'm guessing) after that, I think the PC version will be in a state that's considered acceptable (9 months later than release).

That's when they'll probably start looking into the console port. They want the console ports because it's, allegedly, a third of all elite players and it would be daft to miss that market. However, the problem is that they have to get the PC version to a stable point before they even attempt a port. Dual development (with the console always trying to catch up) would be a nightmare to manage and would mean all platforms get delayed. So here's a timeline that I think might happen. (This is just my opinion, nothing official, I don't have any inside info.)

1. December - PC Update 9
2. January (end of) - PC Update 10
3. February - PC Update 11 (just bug fixes no new features), they start evaluating the console version.
4. March - PC Update 12 (again bug fixes, maybe the engineering changes). This is where they'll know if a console version is possible and make an announcement then.
5. April - Maybe a PC Update 13 with Bug Fixes, Dev work starts on the ports if it's possible.
6. May - Dev work continues on console ports if it's possible
7. June - Dev work
8. July - Test Beta.
9. August - Release.

TLDR : PC First then I don't think we'll hear anything about a console release until March and, if Odyssey is possible, then we're looking until July and August before a release (which is why they dropped the revenue from this years projected results). So until March, Console owners will get the same answer again and again.

BTW. It will also mean six months of static development on the PC version while the console catches up, that's going to be salty as well!

It's quite simple. The original Odyssey release was awful. The performance for everything except plant scanning / exploration was impossible on what would have been a recommended Horizons Spec machine. That recommended Horizon's spec is also higher than the Xbox-1 and PS4 capabilities, so there's no way the release build would run in a way that would be acceptable. Look at Cyberpunk.

They've taken the decision to concentrate on the PC version (the largest proportion of players) and get Odyssey working as it should. They're getting there. Update 8 is the state where I think the game should have been released. However, even then it still has performance problems in certain areas and if you try to run it on a Xbox equivalent PC, the frame rate is horrible. There is update 9 in December and update 10 in the New Year (I'm guessing) after that, I think the PC version will be in a state that's considered acceptable (9 months later than release).

That's when they'll probably start looking into the console port. They want the console ports because it's, allegedly, a third of all elite players and it would be daft to miss that market. However, the problem is that they have to get the PC version to a stable point before they even attempt a port. Dual development (with the console always trying to catch up) would be a nightmare to manage and would mean all platforms get delayed. So here's a timeline that I think might happen. (This is just my opinion, nothing official, I don't have any inside info.)

3. February - PC Update 11 (just bug fixes no new features), they start evaluating the console version.
4. March - PC Update 12 (again bug fixes, maybe the engineering changes). This is where they'll know if a console version is possible and make an announcement then.
5. April - Maybe a PC Update 13 with Bug Fixes, Dev work starts on the ports if it's possible.
7. June - Dev work
8. July - Test Beta.
9. August - Release.

TLDR : PC First then I don't think we'll hear anything about a console release until March and, if Odyssey is possible, then we're looking until July and August before a release (which is why they dropped the revenue from this years projected results). So until March, Console owners will get the same answer again and again.

BTW. It will also mean six months of static development on the PC version while the console catches up, that's going to be salty as well!
There is probably one missing point - merge of Odyssey and Horizons clients - which should bring "planetary tech" to the consoles too. I would guess it should happen before Odyssey release on consoles. Hopefully it will simplify further development.

Yeah I think a problem is that Fdev don't know what the PC optimisation levels are "before " looking at console . I'm thinking in the new financial year ? but before Starfield drops ? So we have about a year to wait ? The consoles are still active in EDH( numbers have gone down ) and elite is one of those annoying games that people come back to ? And to be honest it better be one hell of an add on for me to buy it .

There is probably one missing point - merge of Odyssey and Horizons clients - which should bring "planetary tech" to the consoles too. I would guess it should happen before Odyssey release on consoles. Hopefully it will simplify further development.
Yeah, that is interesting, I'm trying to work out when would be the best time for the two to be merged.

3. February - PC Update 11 (just bug fixes no new features), they start evaluating the console version. Possible Horizon/Odyssey Merge here.
7. June - Console Dev work
8. July - Console Test Beta.
9. August - Console Releases. If the Horizon/Odyssey Merge hasn't happened yet, then it will certainly be at this point!
10. After August :- Full On-foot VR. (Even if it's another paid for DLC, I'll be willing to pay for it)
11. Next DLC :- Ship Interiors

I know that as soon as the two are merged, there will be even more salt over the planetary terrain. I know that my VR setup doesn't work with Odyssey, so that will be the end of VR for me until I get a new PC.

7. June - Dev work
8. July - Test Beta.
9. August - Release.

They don't know how it could run on console because by their own admission they haven't started. Up until they were meant to focus on the console version, Fdev said bother versions were working fine and will be released on time. yet they knew that was because they hadn't started on the console version. If it's about fixing the game first fine then fix it, stop adding extra content making the problem and the anger worse. on mass, the console community have said that we are happy with a work in progress and have even had Microsoft confirm that ED:O is still part of the preview program (so Fdevs lied about costs and date limits for UPdates is ).
Fdev could have easily delayed both versions to fix them up and reduce this delay, They didn't and then they ignored the console community to the point that the community management team have been told not to talk about it at all, yet ship interiors (that Fdev has said they have no plans for) can come up every week. console problems on the issue tracker are constantly removed, and members that criticize Fdev or the community manager are banned. You know like what a dictatorship would do when they don't like criticism.

also, where did you get this timeline, because it looks like it came from a place with no sunshine?

1. we have asked for clear and updated information on whats going on with the console version ( giving us the same 2 statements love the last year is not that)
2. we have asked for the bugs to be split. This would stop PC players from affecting the console game and would mean delays like this wouldn't matter. making all of this a non-point.
3. if the game needs FIXING first then do it, stop adding new toys to placate the PC players crying about going to start citizen.
4. if we can't have Odyssey, then tell us. right now we are feeling like we are here only for the arks income.
5. give us the ships and tools that should have been in the previous DLC like this new SRV. SRV's and ships should be core games not paywalled.

At this point working on anything other than PC game braking fixes and the console version is the only things they should be working on, not extra plants on spacestations and waving.

They don't know how it could run on console because by their own admission they haven't started
Actually, they do: about the same as it runs on PC, if not worse. ie, abysmally (until recently).
And really, it doesn't matter, the bugs alone were too severe for them to do a console port (those are getting sorted nicely, too).
The main problem is FDev could not have done all these updates on consoles due to the process involved. Churning through updates on PC is relatively trivial (cough cough), but impossible on consoles due to the vetting process.

Yeah, that is interesting, I'm trying to work out when would be the best time for the two to be merged.
Certainly expecting the first quarter of 22 to be used for PC optimization, bug fixing and new content which if FDev can keep to an update every month-ish would take them to update 12 followed by a month to check everything is OK and maybe drop another update with the last batch of fixes. After that Apr/May I wondered if they might go straight into the work on the merge of Horizons and Odyssey as that could give them an insight into how well the previous gen consoles will cope with some of the new tech and possibly a baseline to work from?

also, where did you get this timeline, because it looks like it came from a place with no sunshine?
Did you not read the post then?

It's based on how long it took them to port to the Elite over to the xbox in the first place and the fact that they ain't going to even look at the console until the PC version is ready.

Actually, they do: about the same as it runs on PC, if not worse. ie, abysmally (until recently).
And really, it doesn't matter, the bugs alone were too severe for them to do a console port (those are getting sorted nicely, too).
The main problem is FDev could not have done all these updates on consoles due to the process involved. Churning through updates on PC is relatively trivial (cough cough), but impossible on consoles due to the vetting process.

Just to add to this, as I understand it there is a relatively high bar for quality in order for a product to be distributed on both Microsoft and Playstation stores which I think we can assume Frontier are not yet confident Odyssey can meet. It may never meet it, Odyssey may not be released on console at all (although it seems likely that it eventually will once it's good enough).

Just to add to this, as I understand it there is a relatively high bar for quality in order for a product to be distributed on both Microsoft and Playstation stores which I think we can assume Frontier are not yet confident Odyssey can meet. It may never meet it, Odyssey may not be released on console at all (although it seems likely that it eventually will once it's good enough).
That's what I'm worried about. Odyssey isn't playing well on the equivalent PC to an xbox, even with all the graphics turned down. Don't get me wrong, it's improved a lot but it has quite a way to go.

Did you not read the post then?

It's based on how long it took them to port to the Elite over to the xbox in the first place and the fact that they ain't going to even look at the console until the PC version is ready.
so they are ignoring the console community then! I did read what you said but once again you pulled it out of your ass. the PC version is good enough for a port to consoles under the Microsoft preview program. the only real reason for the delay that I can see is to avoid a tax bill this year. Your comments like so many other PC players are just gatekeeping, if it wasn't why do so many cries about going to other games. a Taxi service, waving, plants in stations and fleet carrier interiors are not essential to gameplay. this New SRV (by all accounts) will be even more useless than the original in land-based combat, so why spend time, money and resources on that over the console version. Fdev have ignored us, the proof is literally everywhere. anyone saying any different is either a troll or just being willfully ignorant.

Mircosoft has said that modesty is part of the preview program (just as ED was) make all those points null and void. under the preview, program quality is not assured, bugs, crashes and low FPS are expected and the developer can update daily and hot patch whenever as part of being in the program. there is literally no reason (other than the console community being ignored) that an Xbox version should be released. Hell, they knew the limitations of the consoles when they started making odyssey, they should have started with us the enhance it for PC players.

so they are ignoring the console community then! I did read what you said but once again you pulled it out of your . the PC version is good enough for a port to consoles under the Microsoft preview program. the only real reason for the delay that I can see is to avoid a tax bill this year. Your comments like so many other PC players are just gatekeeping, if it wasn't why do so many cries about going to other games. a Taxi service, waving, plants in stations and fleet carrier interiors are not essential to gameplay. this New SRV (by all accounts) will be even more useless than the original in land-based combat, so why spend time, money and resources on that over the console version. Fdev have ignored us, the proof is literally everywhere. anyone saying any different is either a troll or just being willfully ignorant.
then you haven't tried to play Odyssey on a PC with similar specs to an xbox? It's seriously not ready! Look I understand the grumpiness about not having access to the latest toys but they've got to get Odyssey into the right state yet. The PC players who pre-ordered and paid for the DLC still have a defective product (and probably still will be until update 10). They have to fix that (although for some it will never be fixed) but for the moment it's their highest priority. They haven't even given pre-orders for consoles, you haven't lost a penny. If they released it, even at update 8, they'd get a mauling in the press and here on the forums.

Top Bottom