Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

I've no idea what others are running but my pc is 5 years old * i7-4790k (with cheap water cooling block) , 32gb ram, 1080ti (set to ultra with AMD thingy on) and it is running really well in 4k upscaled at settlements and in space + stations. Minor stuttering when walking in settlements which is a new addition, but still much better since this update. I still have the jagged edges here and there, but I have become used to those so it doesn't bother me really.

maybe my pc is a freak of nature! But whatever it is, I'll take it!
I7 4790k / gtx 1080 / 16gm ram owner here: I suspect that the fact you were using 4K resolution, even though upscaled, helped to slow down the frames and therefore lighten the load on the CPU, which tends to be the bottleneck in settlements. I found that just limiting the FPS to 30 helped with the stutter as well, at least to some extent. I also noticed that the stutter seemed to coincide with a peak in net data usage @sallymorganmoore .

Is anyone else noticing excessive "camera shake" when fuel scooping?
eg. Go in for a fuel scoop, reduce throttle to zero
the ship looks like it'll shake a wing loose!

this is in flat screen - I have been playing mostly in VR and didn't notice it - but that was before the last patch...
Yeah, the camera shake come and goes, not just fuel scooping, it those gremlins :)

Trying now little exploration and saw that after I made discovery and want use key shortcut for opening codex (appropriate entry in codex) it do not do it and broke HUD instead. It can be fixed only by reloging to/back main menu. Is this known issue? I think have read about it long time ago but cannot find bug report etc. Searching for more info.

@sallymorganmoore sorry for bothering you, but since this issue is being ignored since Odyssey release I'll post it here.

In Odyssey there is a bug with gathering materials from Brain Trees (see screenshot). Only small fraction of materials (~10%) can be shot from them.

In Horizons there were much less material occurences in biological sites. Could be that only each 10th had a material attached.

Could it be that in Odyssey some of spawned instances are missing some attribute, making them "unminable" or just issue with hitbox or something.

Anyway it makes it very hard to do the same activity in Odyssey, which forces many players to launch Horizons for mining materials.

gVTCreB.jpg

I hope that this issue will be fixed in the near future!

It would be great if FDev consider to make gameplay loop more rich - e.g. making those non-minable materials somehow marked (e.g. color/intencity on the radar), so they require to be mined on-foot. It could be clusters of such instances around 1-2 of normal ones (minable from SRV).

//
Return of an old friend - NPCs Inside objects / terrain. I tried to use an emote to pull him out of the ground, sadly attempt failed ... see emotes are not worth anything.
//
//

Today is pretty impactful in terms of what's gone into the game, so here to listen and report around.
I've got to say that if this update was meant to fix some of the fundamental issues then I am left disappointed.

Things not working:
Lighting
Planetary rendering
Shadows
Iridescent gleam

I try EDO after every update. I have no issues with any of the new features except that they don't work!! In VR, the lighting issues and the fact that planetary generation can't even keep up with my SRV (on a NVidia 3090) mean that playing it is an ordeal, not a pleasure (I can put up with the subpar performance - that really doesn't concern me at all). Thankfully, I can still enjoy Horizons.

This is my test from update 8. There is far too much head shaking due to bugs/issues...

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
I want just to point out that the ASTEROPE system is on Thargoid attack ->> INCUSRION status.... but even now in Odyssey 8.02 we have only 1 AX CZ and 0 NHSS (yes 0 nada zip nothing) - while in Horizons we have 200-250 NHSS....

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/39634

The VANGUARD Megaship is offering Interceptor killing missions - but missions taken in HORIZONS are not existing when you use Odyssey - and visa versa - so you need to finish the mission in the ED version you took it.

On the performance side... I see a small gain maybe 5-10% - but as planet CZ are still at 30-40fps level in update 8.02 - it seems we need something like a technical miracle to get to smooth fps levels above 60.

Last edited:
It's nice to see some progress with Update 8, BUT:

• Still have terrible experience on-foot combat zone. (Core i9, GTX 2070 Super 8GB)
  • Still can't replace the upgrade on the suite.
  • Still an impossible grind wall on Odyssey Engineering.
  • Still low materials/data/goods capacity.
  • Still can't trade most of the materials/data.
  • Still a terrible weapon performance. (especially plasma).
  • Still freaking bullet-sponge.
  • Why in the bloody universe goods list on the bartender screen can not be sorted A-B? Please, use this tutorial!

Overall gameplay makes me tired and sad, angry and annoyed. Tired and sad people will less likely spend money on cosmetics. It's not fun anymore.

I'd like to come back to ED one day and finish my racing overlay, but I don't have any motivation to play anymore and as a developer myself - I can't see how ED can survive with Odyssey w/o a total gameplay overhaul.

PS: I'd fire all employees involved in FPS combat design with extreme violence.

PSS: Damn, I'm really sad disappointed right now. :c

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore sorry for bothering you, but since this issue is being ignored since Odyssey release I'll post it here.

In Odyssey there is a bug with gathering materials from Brain Trees (see screenshot). Only small fraction of materials (~10%) can be shot from them.

In Horizons there were much less material occurences in biological sites. Could be that only each 10th had a material attached.

Could it be that in Odyssey some of spawned instances are missing some attribute, making them "unminable" or just issue with hitbox or something.

Anyway it makes it very hard to do the same activity in Odyssey, which forces many players to launch Horizons for mining materials.

gVTCreB.jpg

I hope that this issue will be fixed in the near future!

It would be great if FDev consider to make gameplay loop more rich - e.g. making those non-minable materials somehow marked (e.g. color/intencity on the radar), so they require to be mined on-foot. It could be clusters of such instances around 1-2 of normal ones (minable from SRV).

Helloooo. The first thing my early morning Monday brain thought of was the same - this could be a hitcheck issue. Popped it on my notes. Leave it with meee o7

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hi @sallymorganmoore, a bit of feedback and issues on multicrew:
Even though connectivity seems definitely improved there are a couple issues that if fixed would immensely help the multicrew experience:

- Accepted shared mission disappears from transaction panel if there is a disconnect. If the mission is still ongoing this is just a mild annoyance as the mission holder can re share the mission with the crew member who had the disconnect upon his return.

But if the disconnect happens after the mission has been completed and before returning to deliver at the station then the mission holder can not share it anymore and the player who had the disconnect losses the mission and its eventual rewards after having done all the work.

It would be awesome if there was a way for the game to remember after disconnect that a player completed a shared mission so upon re log the completed mission was still in the transactions panel as completed and ready for delivery.

This would probably mean the game would need to remember the player was in a wing before the disconnect and would automatically offer him to re-wing upon relog or similar. Also I would suggest to eliminate the need for the original mission holder to deliver the mission at a terminal before the crew members with whom he has shared the mission can deliver it themselves.

Issue tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44339

- “Boarding Denied” error when a multicrew wing tries to change ship. It seems this issue happens pretty much all the time. The crew wing is stuck to the first ship they use (except the new ship owner) and if we want to change ship then we are forced to disband the wing, recreate a new one and then board the new ship. Would be great if we could swap freely.

This issue is compounded with the above as any shared missions will disappear from the crew mates transaction panels upon disband of the wing and would need to be re shared. A real pain.

Issue tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44340

- Ability to share a new mission after completion but before delivery at station. This is not a bug per se but at present a crew member can not share a new mission until the one that he has shared has been finally delivered at the station. This prevents crews to perform several missions that may be in the same area and forces them to go back to the station to deliver every time before a new mission can be shared.

It would be great if once a shared mission has been completed but not yet delivered at the station the crew member who shared that mission could share a new one before returning to the station. Or better yet, allow players to share more than just 1 mission at a time.

Last edited:
Is non-mission related downloading data from data points aka material collecting in non-high security areas like Habitat buildings meant to trigger an instant base alarm? The NPC in a different part of the building and who can not see you exclaims "there is something wrong... " when the download starts and then the alarms go off and hostile guards flood the area. It feels like they have been mixed up with the far more high profile, high risk saboutage/sample collecting missions. You cant escape from this situation as even when hiding while its downloading you are marked as a high risk suspect so when you casually try to leave once the download is finished, you are gunned down. Seems a bit OTT over some cat videos, might make more sense if the NPC shouted a warning after actually spotting you in the process of downloading but for it to trigger a base alarm instantly doesnt make sense.

Is non-mission related downloading data from data points aka material collecting in non-high security areas like Habitat buildings meant to trigger an instant base alarm? The NPC in a different part of the building and who can not see you exclaims "there is something wrong... " when the download starts and then the alarms go off and hostile guards flood the area. It feels like they have been mixed up with the far more high profile, high risk saboutage/sample collecting missions. You cant escape from this situation as even when hiding while its downloading you are marked as a high risk suspect so when you casually try to leave once the download is finished, you are gunned down. Seems a bit OTT over some cat videos, might make more sense if the NPC shouted a warning after actually spotting you in the process of downloading but for it to trigger a base alarm instantly doesnt make sense.
Sounds to me like you downloaded some alarmed data (little bell icon) without turning off the settlement alarms. This is indeed as intended.

I noticed the same in empty base which I powered on. While downloading all base alarms are active, which would attract guards if any.

Top Bottom