Elite Dangerous PS5 Feature Requests and PS5 FAQ

PS5 Feature Requests

Updated 20/08/20
  • Will PS5™ players be able to get -- now or in the future -- the Cobra Mk IV?
    No statement. PS4 version confirmed not coming. [Here].
  • Is it possible to change the HUD colour?
    No statement. Currently on the PC this is achieved by editing config files but Frontier are looking at ways of bringing this to the console versions. [Here]
  • Full 4K / Dynamic / Checkerboard or 1440p support on the PS5™
    No statement. Would expect 4K.
  • HDR Support
    No statement. Would expect HDMI2.1 support.
  • PSVR support
    No statement. Odessey confirmed to not support VR, so not likely.
  • DS5 Controller Internal Speaker support (option) (source)
    No statement. This includes many of the other controller features below, Sony have confirmed HOTAS 4 is compatibile with PS5.
  • DS5 Context Sensitive Menu, Expand for Triggers and Touchpad (source)
  • Pedal support for the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4 (source 1) (source 2)
  • Camera Head Tracking support (source)
  • Keyboard (and mouse) control method support source source 2
  • Voice command support within the game source
  • 60 frames per second rate lock source
  • Optimised port for PS5 version.
    No statement.

Elite Dangerous on PS5 FAQ

No FAQ at this point.

Looks like a big phat no all accounts right now. I'm so ed. I started playing again in Feb thinking 'new era' or whatever it was called would be coming to PS5. I thought the timing of the new release was perfect... yes, nextgen will be here, look how they have timed the update. Excited!

Well !

While I do like what's planned so far - I'm still mostly can't be arsed. :/ I'll be getting a PS5 and leaving Elite behind if it does not run. I think / hope it will though.

I have a sinking feeling, as a human I am constantly moving forwards in life, life is progression.

So I upgrade to a PS5 and fly off into the sunset, leaving my once sparkly PS4 ELITE in my wake... But can I take my old floppy ELITE with me to the blinging next gen?

If no, then surely they will likely lose clients over this, who on console would hang around in the past and not embrace the future?!

Resistance is futile!

Last edited:
Try drawing blood from a stone. There's more chance of that considering how bad Frontier messed the PS community about with years long string along with the Cobra MK4.

I hear you can play PS4 games on PS5, so that is what will happen.
Why write something new? It's not very FD.
Planetary mining, base-building and spacefins (paid add-ons) will happen before any avoidable effort is made.

Maybe they'll print a new box.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

No to all of them?

No to a Cobra Mk IV ever. Get over it.

Frontier will support the PS5 certainly with the PS4 version working on it. They are not going to lose customers per a hardware upgrade unless they are idiots. They are not. Adding more hi-rez features to an ED PS5 version is the goal. Let's see what the Devs do. Still only one HOTAS for the PS4 so eye candy is the best for now.

It is more about Sony with better controllers to make ED great. We'll see.

• In addition to generic Cross Platform Play / Cross Save? : will PS4 Commanders be able to play online with PS5 Commanders?
  • Will PS4 Commander progress transfer across to PS5? (including Arx, credits, engineering, etc.)
  • Will the same Commander account be available and playable on PS4/PS5 platforms simultaneously?
  • Will Digital purchases of Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Horizons persist from PS4/PS5?

Last edited:
I hope Frontier Development team is reading this forum.
Would it be possible to get a child friendly mode in Odyssey where the game turns off all the gory combat situations? I love Elite dangerous and have no problem if my kids shoot down space ships but shooting down humanoids in combat mode, that I am not happy about. There is enough person to person shooter games already. I am not against the combat mode, I just want to be able to turn that aspect off for above reasons.

I hope Frontier Development team is reading this forum.
Would it be possible to get a child friendly mode in Odyssey where the game turns off all the gory combat situations? I love Elite dangerous and have no problem if my kids shoot down space ships but shooting down humanoids in combat mode, that I am not happy about. There is enough person to person shooter games already. I am not against the combat mode, I just want to be able to turn that aspect off for above reasons.
Don’t land on a planet and let your kids play is the most obvious answer - I can’t see them adding a kid mode to Odyssey.

Top Bottom