Modes Elite Dangerous PvE vs PvP and who needs a Solo play if you had PvE server

Oh I have no issue with change. I've even put some ideas forward myself for changes to Power Play, CQC (Arena) and a few other bits.

The only change Edy is arguing for, only benefit himself at the expense of others. Which is a change I'll never support.
I'll also argue against changes that are pointless because they can be circumvented with little to no effort.
As I did with the 100m/s speed limit, which didn't stop the exact thing it was brought out to stop.
Just like an open only bonus wont encourage more open world PvP - it will just encourage people abusing the block feature or tweaking their networking.
Which then is a waste of Dev time and resources.

1-5% increase worth it to block hacking?
I can tell you, no money exploit is worth blocking. Unless it is an in-game feature.

What we have on those forums are people which have a win-win and lose-lose mode choice.
Other one have lose-win and win lose.

Of course opportunity cost is still a cost. But other party have some in their choice and other have none whatsoever. There is no balance at the moment.
Both choices of mode to play should have some, and those opportunity costs as equal as possible. So it would come down to personal preference alone.

And now prepare for reminder that it is a PvE game, PvP is optional, and I should go play Tetris.

Nope, sorry, just a question.

Which mode do you play?

Before I banged first pole in Fehu, I never logged in anywhere but Open. I had a Python on 6A PP at that time.

Atm, I play just like everyone else - do my stuff in Solo/PG named as myself, or most of the time waste repair/rebuy money at Open. Which atm conists only of newbies and people which have nothing to lose.

1-5% increase worth it to block hacking?
I can tell you, no money exploit is worth blocking. Unless it is an in-game feature.

What we have on those forums are people which have a win-win and lose-lose mode choice.
Other one have lose-win and win lose.

Of course opportunity cost is still a cost. But other party have some in their choice and other have none whatsoever. There is no balance at the moment.
Both choices of mode to play should have some, and those opportunity costs as equal as possible. So it would come down to personal preference alone.

And now prepare for reminder that it is a PvE game, PvP is optional, and I should go play Tetris.

Tetris has PvP only if someone has the link cable - so that makes it optional. The bulk of the game is PvE

I'm still waiting for where you got 5% from and the proof. Or was I right, did you make a false claim?

Before I banged first pole in Fehu, I never logged in anywhere but Open. I had a Python on 6A PP at that time.

Atm, I play just like everyone else - do my stuff in Solo/PG named as myself, or most of the time waste repair/rebuy money at Open. Which atm conists only of newbies and people which have nothing to lose.
Thanks, just curious.

Tetris has PvP only if someone has the link cable - so that makes it optional. The bulk of the game is PvE

I'm still waiting for where you got 5% from and the proof. Or was I right, did you make a false claim?

Who said I got 1-5% from somewhere? It is lowest possible margin I would farm terrorist lords at the Open mode. Instead of Solo.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/7309-Battle-for-Azeroth-PvP-Changes-Recap

I got this. And you can copypaste text into google as well. Blizz had not stated any numbers.
Oh w8. You gave me the links?

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
What do concurrent players on an optional game launcher on only one of the three game platforms tell us about number of players?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
They are newer players basically. Which makes it worse.
And something should be done.

Are they? What makes you assume that?

As well as that, instantaneous concurrent players tell us next to nothing about total number of players in a particular time period (other than it should exceed the current concurrent number).

Are they? What makes you assume that?

As well as that, instantaneous concurrent players tell us next to nothing about total number of players in a particular time period (other than it should exceed the current concurrent number).

all-time peak 2 years ago

Please stop denying obvious. Not everyone is a PvE player.

Enough bull. Do not like gambling - do not do it. Open is still gambling, and clearly an unfair one.

All 3 modes are gambling.. When you are flying there is always a gamble of something going wrong.

And, by the way, do please notice that all what is left of your arguments is selfishness and the current state of things. Nothing else.

You are the one wanting the Developers of the game to alter the game and suddenly fork out money for your choice, a choice you made freely, yet those who bought the game to play.. they are "selfish"?... may want to look in a mirror.

You there?

Ah, it is Steam data. New players basically. Which are not DDA-inspired.

So where is your data that proves that all new purchases of Elite Dangerous were made on Steam? Your data is pretty much as useful as looking at pregnancy rates of the world and only sampling Uganda.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Please stop denying obvious. Not everyone is a PvE player.

Sandro disagrees:

Hello Commanders!

There's a little too much unnecessary heat in this thread, which is also making it hard to extract juicy feedback.

As far as this specific change, I'm frankly not interested *at the moment* about player versus environment. It's a valid discussion for sure, but not useful right now. The ship rebuy penalty *right now* aims at making player versus player encounters a little fairer by increasing the potential cost for the aggressor.

The whole point of these kinds of changes are to make Open fairer and more enticing for everyone. This change is a tiny part of that.

Everyone faces the same rules when it comes to player versus environment, and I would suggest that all folk take part in this type of game play, so I don't really buy the outrage about "PvErs" cheating. You're all "PvErs". Yes, even you playing in Open exclusively - unless you can prove that every single credit you made was against another human Commander :)

So, describing how the mechanics might be exploited = awesome. Describing how folk might adjust their style (for better or worse) = awesome. But complaining that it's one "group" of players cheating = not very helpful right now.

It's also worth pointing out again that this is one of several changes that will be coming through. We have the Pilot's Federation active as well, which works in combination with the ship rebuy penalty. We've also got karma and a few other updates further down the line. Individually, none of these changes will be the uber fix. But taken together they may well have some real effect.

All time peak players on only part of one of the three platforms that the game has been released on.

Not maximum number of players in a 24 hour period.

Please. Stop. Denying. Obvious.

There is no player count outside Fdev's office. And they stopped sharing it. For the same reasons Blizz stopped sharing it after horrible WoD changes.

Powderpanic

Banned
This thread is wonderful

Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn-Smiling-SNL.gif

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

There is no player count outside Fdev's office. And they stopped sharing it. For the same reasons Blizz stopped sharing it after horrible WoD changes.

Looks like you are the one who denying things... and it is interesting except for the number of kickstarter supporters, has Frontier EVER released sales numbers? All the news articles I have found say they haven't... so how can they stop sharing something they haven't been doing in the first place?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

I'm denying nothing - merely pointing out the shortcomings of data derived from a completely optional game launching system - that totally ignores two of the three platforms completely and the last at least partially.

When did Frontier ever share player count data?

Sales of franchise units - certainly - they quote the latest numbers in their financial reports.

Top Bottom