Elite Dangerous (Steam) just set a new All Time record for concurrent CMDRs, beating previous highest in Nov 2015

For the second day in a row, a new all-time record was established:

WPGtTep.png

Previous edit2: New all-time record being set (Saturday 13th June 2020):
KRW531e.png

Previous edit:

New record set on 12th June 2020 - this is only the second time ever that 16k has been exceeded
(and doesn't even count the many non-Steam PC, Xbox, and PS4 CMDRs)
eyKBx4S.png

Original post:

Steam concurrent CMDRs online reaches FOUR-year high over Easter weekend - highest since 1st Dec 2015

lJw9XXg.png

Horizons launched on 15th December 2015.

The recent playerbase resurgence began the day of Fleet Carriers Content Reveal Announcement, and benefited from the lockdowns that started early March.

More data taken from my comment later in this thread

Anyway, here are two 6-month charts from SteamDB, showing Daily Peak Concurrent (top) and Price (bottom) - I've also marked the weekend when quarantining & lockdowns began in Europe:

R0Da4Dk.png

Meanwhile, here are the Maximum/Average/Minimum Daily Peak Steam Concurrents for each March/April/May, each year, since Elite Dangerous' launch on Steam - the Aprils are highlighted for convenience:

OHR4GwK.png

Lastly, here are the 1-month daily peak concurrent Steam charts for Elite Dangerous plus the top-five most-played games on Steam (clockwise from top-right), to visualise the COVID lockdown effect:

kehs1Iv.png

Last edited:
Yeah...how long did it last? What are the day-over-day numbers. Was it also one of the biggest single day drop in players to the next day?

major updates always cause a spike....how quickly that spike drops off shows the quality of the update.

the highest numbers on that list are 2-day peaks. Notice that this one is not.
The next major update is Fleet Carriers which launches sometime in June; it is currently in Beta, since Tuesday 7th April.

Here's the 1-month chart, including the marker for the Fleet Carriers Content Reveal Announcement:

2vtjfOA.png

lot of cmdrs, like me, dont use steam to play elite, so they surely be more, actually i return into game because fc patch, but after 2 days i understand this patch is useless for gameplay and content so my 3k hours need to wait the next patch to become greatest, i think im not the only one

Yeah...how long did it last? What are the day-over-day numbers. Was it also one of the biggest single day drop in players to the next day?

major updates always cause a spike....how quickly that spike drops off shows the quality of the update.

the highest numbers on that list are 2-day peaks. Notice that this one is not.

Major updates do cause a spike, of course, no game is different and with few exceptions most drop off again. The current average players per day over the past 30 days is 5,746. This is the 8th highest toal since release on Steam, although it's possibly going to be higher than that at the end of April given some of March is bringing down the average. It's broken 10k players every day for the past 15 days, bar one - which was just 50 or so players short. Currently there's 14,020 people playing on Steam which is the 4th highest total since release.

Major updates do cause a spike, of course, no game is different and with few exceptions most drop off again. The current average players per day over the past 30 days is 5,746. This is the 8th highest toal since release on Steam, although it's possibly going to be higher than that at the end of April given some of March is bringing down the average. It's broken 10k players every day for the past 15 days, bar one - which was just 50 or so players short. Currently there's 14,020 people playing on Steam which is the 4th highest total since release.
That's the average concurrent players, not the average amount of players per day.

The only thing I care about is that the game is dying for me, and I'm sad about that.
I don't need no charts for that.
In which case we are ever closer to a summer/autumn (probably) reveal of the 'new era' update, console yourself with that. Carriers were never for me, cool as I've found them in the beta to land on and jump with, but they don't affect my looking forward to hearing about the big update.

As a famous American showman and circus owner once said " There's no such thing as bad publicity. " , " except an obituary notice " said the Irish writer Brendan Behan.

In which case we are ever closer to a summer/autumn (probably) reveal of the 'new era' update, console yourself with that. Carriers were never for me, cool as I've found them in the beta to land on and jump with, but they don't affect my looking forward to hearing about the big update.

I'm glad for you, realy, but ED has been slowly dying for me for much longer, I just didn't feel it as strongly as I do know with the introduction of FCs.
It clearly shows Fdev's vision and my hope for this game lay miles apart.
No grudge though, it just sucks big time.

Top Bottom