Newcomer / Intro Elite Dangerous System Requirements

Hi
New to this forum and I am struggling to understand if my laptop is capable of running Elite Dangerous. My device specification is AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Processor, 8GB Memory (5.9GB Useable), AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, 65GB free disk space, Windows 10. Appreciate that this isn't the best gaming spec device but dont want to change hardware if I can help it.
Thanks in Advance

Went and played on a comparison site, your graphics are more recent than my Nvidia GTX950M but come out slower in some of the benchmarks that could be an issue as I have problems at times.

Hi
New to this forum and I am struggling to understand if my laptop is capable of running Elite Dangerous. My device specification is AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Processor, 8GB Memory (5.9GB Useable), AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, 65GB free disk space, Windows 10. Appreciate that this isn't the best gaming spec device but dont want to change hardware if I can help it.
Thanks in Advance
When I'm traveling, I'm running ED on a laptop with 4-core i5 and GT920M. It doesn't run particualrly good, but it runs. Basically minimum details on 1366x768. For example on planets I get sub-30 FPS. So I don't land on planets much. Also asteroids belts give me some FPS trouble so I try to avoid them as well. Combat, well, that depends on how messy things get. One on one is fine, but bigger battles with a lot of stuff flying around can get a little stuttery, too.
So I either trade, smuggle or explore on my laptop. Or generally do peaceful stuff in space.

Your laptop is better than mine, so I think you should be fine in combat and even in planet rings. The planets themselves, well, depending on your screen resolution it may be playable, but I wouldn't expect smooth 60FPS on 1080p screen.

By and large, I think you will be able to enjoy Elite on your laptop.
The only problem I see is your remark that you don't want to change hardware if you can help it. From my experience, if you start playing Elite and get into it, which is really easy, tbh, you are going to start WANTING to change your hardware. :LOL:
Most people do.
Elite. "Making people spend ridiculous amounts of money on their rigs since 2014"

Last edited:
ED runs on most systems. I ran ED on a very similar laptop for a long time and had lots of fun with it. It optimises the screen resolution and detail for you no problem. I didn't install Horizons on that system and never went planet side which is where you'd really feel it. I'd recommend plugging in a keyboard and mouse to a laptop if you have them. Don't need them though.

Thanks for your quick replies and advice. I think I will give it a try. Elite is a blast from the past for me having spent a whole summer playing the game on a BBC Micro in the 80's!!

Top Bottom