Elite Dangerous: Tourist Beacon Competition Winners Announced!

Beacons are in! :sneaky:
I would have loved it to mention that it is a landable moon, not just a moon, to clear any confusion. But hey, at least i will get tourist tax from this system, right, right..!? 😁

btw, i am LOVING the Tourist Spot number for my beacon!!! :love:

View attachment 274729
Awesome, but why are they re-using numbers? Although 0110 and 0256 were never found, so maybe an accidental skip? 0110 should have been in the original set of beacons.

I've got exploring to do with my new FSD ;)

Awesome, but why are they re-using numbers? Although 0110 and 0256 were never found, so maybe an accidental skip? 0110 should have been in the original set of beacons.

Malic_VR was surprised by these numbers too. Hopefully we will get answer whats going on with the beacons that supposedly are in the game, but hasnt been found yet.

Is anyone near the galactic core that can check the beacon of my planet? I'm in the Bubble and I don't have much time to travel through half the galaxy.

Looks like the numbers 0035, 0041, 0054, 0067 and 0662 have also been re-used (they were reported in the Tourist Beacon spreadsheet).

So, 7 of the 8 reported beacons appear to be replacing previously undiscovered/unknown beacons. :confused:

Last edited:
Looks like the numbers 0035 and 0662 have also been re-used (they were reported in the Tourist Beacon spreadsheet).

So, 4 of the 5 reported beacons appear to be replacing previously undiscovered/unknown beacons. :confused:
Strikes me as more likely they were numbers assigned to beacons that were dropped for whatever reason before being released.

Come to think of it, it's interesting that the spreadsheet has 48 unknown beacons, which is suspiciously close to the number of winners here. I wonder if someone at the office decided for whatever reason that they want to fill in the unused numbers and came up with this contest as the opportunity to do so.

Hmm. Mine has no blurb and my commander name is wrong. Anyone else? I did have plenty of blurb in my post.

1637201985631.png

Hmm. Mine has no blurb and my commander name is wrong. Anyone else? I did have plenty of blurb in my post.

View attachment 275766
Mine has blurb, but my commander name is slightly wrong - they have it as "MattG" but there should be a space - "Matt G". I've seen another winner who was "Commander Cmdr <their name>" - I'd be annoyed if that was me.

In fact... yeh, they seem to have used our forum names instead of CMDR names 🤦‍♂️

Anyway :rolleyes:. Mine is 0660 - can someone tell me if that is also recycled ?

Anyway :rolleyes:. Mine is 0660 - can someone tell me if that is also recycled ?
Unfortunately, it does appear to be a re-used number.

Known beacon numbers go from 0001 to 0715, with the exception of a few "special" beacons which are labelled differently (Distant Worlds 2 and the Habitat Beacons in Colonia).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it does appear to be a re-used number.

Known beacon numbers go from 0001 to 0715, with the exception of a few "special" beacons which are labelled differently (Distant Worlds 2 and the Habitat Beacons in Colonia).
It's only unfortunate if it's replacing a beacon that already exists elsewhere. If it's just using a number that was allocated but never used, that seems fine unless you care about maintaining a strictly chronological ordering of beacon numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the recycled numbers so far correspond to beacons that have never been confirmed to exist in-game, yes?

It's only unfortunate if it's replacing a beacon that already exists elsewhere. If it's just using a number that was allocated but never used, that seems fine unless you care about maintaining a strictly chronological ordering of beacon numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the recycled numbers so far correspond to beacons that have never been confirmed to exist in-game, yes?
Correct, no duplicates yet. I just found the highest beacon number so far, which is 0743, so there's at least 28 new ones at the end of the current list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qxd86e Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qxd86e/first_elw_ww_aw_that_ive_discovered_all_in_the/

Someone found an ELW, WW and AW in the same system orbiting a neutron star. This system should get its own beacon: The Trifecta.

I know the contest is over but this is ultra ultra rare!!
Yea, I second that it's definitely ultra rare and even out of the contest @Zac Cocken @sallymorganmoore that would be cool if it could it be noticed ingame and "beaconized"

I managed to read the text added to the tourist beacon of my submission, and it seems it's wrong. It describes the rotational and orbital mechanics of the planet but the description is incorrect.. It's my fault, because it was incorrect when I submitted it and realized later, after the contest, too late to change it. In fact, the planet is even more interesting than I thought and wrote when I submitted it

@Zac Cocken @sallymorganmoore @Bruce G how should I proceed in order for Frontier to fix the text of the beacon? Should I report a bug?

^ if I can piggyback off that ping: it seems the beacons were credited by forum name, not commander name, for me and at least one other person. Also, my beacon didn't get a blurb.. possibly because I didn't write a succinct one? How can I get one added?

^ if I can piggyback off that ping: it seems the beacons were credited by forum name, not commander name, for me and at least one other person. Also, my beacon didn't get a blurb.. possibly because I didn't write a succinct one? How can I get one added?
I saw that the one at SYNUEFE RA-L D9-49 also didn't get a blurb. I hope that they add one for your sakes.
Mine has a blurb based on the description that I'd submitted though like you said they used the Forum name CmdrZorkmid. So my blurb refers to commander CmdrZorkmid.
No biggie. I guess that means that I'm a commander's commander. A commander². "Oh commander my commander!" :)

Edit: I have beacon number 0653 for those keeping track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom