Elite Dangerous: Tourist Beacon Competition Winners Announced!

adelicatedances5kwt.png

Thanks to cmdr JoiNto for the picture.

Thanks to cmdr JoiNto for the picture.

Hey, in fact I took this picture for cmdr JoiNto as I was traveling in this area :D
Wepae AA-A h22 is quite a spectacular hotspot, with the surrounding starfield lighting up the whole system.

BTW, I would like to thanks FDev for this initiative. I feel quite impressed to have my name ingame ! (apart from the first discovered / first mapped / first footfall tags of course)
My beacon number is 0108 (Boeph XJ-R e4-1221), and as for many around, the name used in the text is my forum name, not CMDR's name. It would be really kind if that could be corrected...

For other commanders, I have been adding my screencaps to the shared tourist beacon sheet. I have visited the systems submitted by mo0nlyte, FantasticTuesday, Shakalx 3, filthEfrank, Ddraiggoch, ivys0re, Angantyr, Finnanator252 and myself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit?pli=1#gid=740619963
As the curator of the sheet - thank you! I've updated the sheet itself with all of your additions.

I'm a bit upset that it has been decided to overwrite existing beacons - including beacons that quite likely contained Elite Lore, such as beacons 650 through 663 - with these new additions. It's also apparent from patterns in the batches that some of these 'recycled' numbers were probably attributed to beacons located in permit-locked systems that are no longer inaccessible (but were when they were originally added).

I will soon be adding a sheet tab with the winners of the competition, their systems, and their beacon numbers. The goal will be to find every single one of these to add their information to the sheet.

As the curator of the sheet - thank you! I've updated the sheet itself with all of your additions.

I'm a bit upset that it has been decided to overwrite existing beacons - including beacons that quite likely contained Elite Lore, such as beacons 650 through 663 - with these new additions. It's also apparent from patterns in the batches that some of these 'recycled' numbers were probably attributed to beacons located in permit-locked systems that are no longer inaccessible (but were when they were originally added).

I will soon be adding a sheet tab with the winners of the competition, their systems, and their beacon numbers. The goal will be to find every single one of these to add their information to the sheet.
We don't even know if that is true. Nobody has ever found those beacons, and while they could be in permit-locked systems, it seems unlikely that Frontier would re-use numbers of existing beacons. So far, the new beacons have numbers that haven't been seen before.

I am currently on a trip to visit known and potential beacon sites across the galaxy, but I also threw in some Canonn Challenge locations, so it'll be a while before I'm done.

We don't even know if that is true. Nobody has ever found those beacons, and while they could be in permit-locked systems, it seems unlikely that Frontier would re-use numbers of existing beacons. So far, the new beacons have numbers that haven't been seen before.

I am currently on a trip to visit known and potential beacon sites across the galaxy, but I also threw in some Canonn Challenge locations, so it'll be a while before I'm done.

We don't have official confirmation specifically that old beacons are being overwritten, but I've been tracking the beacons for the past six years and I've got strong evidence that this is the case, including communications from Frontier on tickets I've submitted on the matter years ago. They confirmed that quite a few beacons encountered a data error when submitted, and they weren't aware at the time of the error. They've begun a project to fix these beacons, and I've watched as a couple dozen of them have been showing up in game since then. Most are being fixed properly, but some of the beacons on that list are now being overwritten with these beacons.

As another tidbit of evidence, all of the missing beacon numbers sub-112 match up, post for post, with submissions in a previous contest a lot like this one. Some of the beacons submitted in that contest were systems that have since become permit locked with no permit available (Col 70 as an example). The missing numbers that are being overwritten match up, alphabetically, with these exact systems. The only question is whether 650-663 had lore or not, but patterns in the beacon numbering system points to most likely.

Edit: Further evidence - The Great Annihilator had a beacon that was overwritten with one now called Triple Black; you can no longer visit the old beacon 523. But we have a screenshot of the old beacon here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KQ689ck7Gsh0E3i99OGp7ZUm39xn6d6a/view

The sheet containing all the competition winners is now live, if you'd like a guide to which systems to visit. If there's no matching beacon number, I haven't seen the beacon / it hasn't been inputted yet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...D1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit#gid=112809511

Last edited:
Hey thanks for maintaining that spreadsheet. There are a lot of interesting sites there which I hadn't come across while playing organically.
What is the significance of the colour codes for the rows, green/yellow/red? I figure green is a completed entry, red is a missing entry and yellow one in progress?
For my winning entry I'd submitted the details and screenshots of the beacon text to the thread introducing the spreadsheet. It's post #145 of
Hope it's useful to you.

Hey thanks for maintaining that spreadsheet. There are a lot of interesting sites there which I hadn't come across while playing organically.
What is the significance of the colour codes for the rows, green/yellow/red? I figure green is a completed entry, red is a missing entry and yellow one in progress?
For my winning entry I'd submitted the details and screenshots of the beacon text to the thread introducing the spreadsheet. It's post #145 of
Hope it's useful to you.
Thank you! I'm just the curator, the data in the spreadsheet comes from and belongs to community members like you. I've added your beacon, but overlooked the images so I'll fix that up.

You're right with the colour coding. The colour codes represent the completeness of the record. Green means we have all 3 key elements (name, location, image), while yellow is missing one and orange missing two. It's very easy to fill in the rest of the information once one of the pieces is identified, so things don't remain orange or yellow for long. Red means we have no data at all, only a list of possible candidates that we've established using existing patterns, which we then check every system in the candidate list.

Sometimes we'll pick up a tourist mission to a system in the mission boards and it'll be to a beacon we don't have; that's a common source of oranges. HD 47246 (0038) is an example of this - there was a mission to it on the board, even though it's been permit locked for years. Will be interesting to see if that one gets overwritten too.

Top Bottom