Elite Dangerous - Tritium Efficiency Update

Phew... dood it's there. I can mine (laser mining +subsurface surface) 200 tons in a hour or two in a single.. if you scan ringed planets you'll find one. I'm presuming you know that.? Once you find a single tritium go dead centre and you'll find it. BUT !! I also have 12000 tons of tritium I bought in the bubble costing 150,000000 credits or so. A small investment for navigating.
I'm currently milking a newly discovered benetoite triple. And that's definitely working perfectly 60% plus yields.
Don't bother core mining it's reliant on a pwa that's bugged.
Focus your exploration on scanning for an elusive double or triple tritium hs.
Good luck..

o7
Well Im in a hotspot currently and all 20 rocks i tried mining said depleted after 1 sec of laser mining, not even a ton per rock, and that has been my experience for months now
to clarify I havent had any issues with anything but tritium (have 2500 LTDs to prove it). i am stuck between sagitarious a and colonia now for months and been trying, but about to give up as everyone tells me its fine but its obviously not working for me outside the bubble. IT was fine when I mined 3000 in a week of mining for the journey 3 weeks after carriers were released, with no issues. then they start messing with mining and tritium has been impossible since then.

Last edited:
Well Im in a hotspot currently and all 20 rocks i tried mining said depleted after 1 sec of laser mining, not even a ton per rock, and that has been my experience for months now
Are you using Prospector limpets on these rocks? If you are not then yes, they will deplete very quickly, even if they have a high Tritium percentage factor. Using a Prospector limpet increases the asteroid's yield by a major factor. It will also help identify any possible subsurface and surface deposits, as well as core deposits for minerals that occur in cores, like LTDs and VOs.

Are you using Prospector limpets on these rocks? If you are not then yes, they will deplete very quickly, even if they have a high Tritium percentage factor. Using a Prospector limpet increases the asteroid's yield by a major factor. It will also help identify any possible subsurface and surface deposits, as well as core deposits for minerals that occur in cores, like LTDs and VOs.
Yes and no, I will try tomorrow using prospectors on all the astroids im mining,. but didn't have to worry about using the prospectors in the past when only laser mining. is this another of their fixes cause I know last year I never had an issue laser mining without it.

Yes and no, I will try tomorrow using prospectors on all the astroids im mining,. but didn't have to worry about using the prospectors in the past when only laser mining. is this another of their fixes cause I know last year I never had an issue laser mining without it.
Nope, not a fix, it's been that way forever far as I know.

If you hit every rock with a Prospector, you'll use up limpets fast, so be sure to bring a lot. Another option is to laser off a chunk of a rock, select the chunk, then read the percentage of minerals it has in the left cockpit panel. This is usually reflective of the percentage of the asteroid as a whole. This way you can skip low-percentage rocks without using up a Prospector limpet. But it will reduce your overall take from the asteroid if you then use a Prospector to boost its productivity, usually by about 10%, which isn't all that much for Tritium-bearing rocks.

Also keep in mind that the chunks that lasering produces are not pure Tritium (or any other mineral), so it requires refining a fair number of them to make up a ton. If you look at the Refinery window in Inventory (second option from top) you can see the amount in each refinery slot increase as it refines the chunks. Lasered chunks might give only a few percent increase, whereas SSD chunks and SD chunks add quite a bit more as they are richer sources than lasering. Once one of the Refinery slots fills up to 100%, a ton of the refined material will be placed in your inventory, stored in a standard canister.

Last edited:
Nope, not a fix, it's been that way forever far as I know.

If you hit every rock with a Prospector, you'll use up limpets fast, so be sure to bring a lot. Another option is to laser off a chunk of a rock, select the chunk, then read the percentage of minerals it has in the left cockpit panel. This is usually reflective of the percentage of the asteroid as a whole. This way you can skip low-percentage rocks without using up a Prospector limpet. But it will reduce your overall take from the asteroid if you then use a Prospector to boost its productivity, usually by about 10%, which isn't all that much for Tritium-bearing rocks.

Also keep in mind that the chunks that lasering produces are not pure Tritium (or any other mineral), so it requires refining a fair number of them to make up a ton. If you look at the Refinery window in Inventory (second option from top) you can see the amount in each refinery slot increase as it refines the chunks. Lasered chunks might give only a few percent increase, whereas SSD chunks and SD chunks add quite a bit more as they are richer sources than lasering. Once one of the Refinery slots fills up to 100%, a ton of the refined material will be placed in your inventory, stored in a standard canister.

Thanks for your reply, I understand the mechanics of mining as I've make 13 billion doing it in the last 1500 hrs of gameplay. again it feels like my ships are bugged, cause I was mining 100 tons of tritium without prospectors in less than hour before they messing with it. But I will try using prospectors on every rock and see if it helps again cause you took the time to offer help, thank you. The community has always been awesome.

Although...

Even with prospectors, my opinion of tritium yields is too low given it now takes approximately an hour to find enough to give your carrier one jump. Yes, you can buy it, I know, but I'm specifically referring to mining it.

It's good news they doubled its efficacy though.

I asked about this in the first AMA and FDev have no plans to increase tritium yields. I also placed it in the "suggestions" thread but it sank, virtually without a trace so I strongly suspect I'm in the minority on the subject! :D

Last edited:
i am stuck between sagitarious a and colonia now for months

How much cash do you have? Do you have an active buy-order on tritium for a good price?

Somebody could refuel you. I'd do it myself, but unfortunately my Colonia-based account is currently in the Bubble with a near-empty Carrier.

How much cash do you have? Do you have an active buy-order on tritium for a good price?

Somebody could refuel you. I'd do it myself, but unfortunately my Colonia-based account is currently in the Bubble with a near-empty Carrier.
Haha Ive got an active buy order with good price, but Im in a spot that not many seem to pass thru haha. Ill start advertising my prices and location if I get really desperate. Im more concerned currently on fixing a potential bug if its there. thanks for the com
o7

Haha Ive got an active buy order with good price, but Im in a spot that not many seem to pass thru haha. Ill start advertising my prices and location if I get really desperate. Im more concerned currently on fixing a potential bug if its there. thanks for the com
o7

I did a good buy order for 3 weeks - nothing... ended up just going and buying 120 mill 3x trips in the cutter from a station - now that bounty hunting is boosted - my online friend said, "just bounty hunt and hour and buy the TRIT" - and that was probably the best advice. But for that price - I think the station should send out a Tritium Rat and do the loading themselves.

Thanks for your reply, I understand the mechanics of mining as I've make 13 billion doing it in the last 1500 hrs of gameplay. again it feels like my ships are bugged, cause I was mining 100 tons of tritium without prospectors in less than hour before they messing with it. But I will try using prospectors on every rock and see if it helps again cause you took the time to offer help, thank you. The community has always been awesome.
When you hit a rock with a Prospector it'll give you an idea of the yields you can expect from each chunk. It's expressed as a percentage of each ore. So if it says 29% methane clathrate, 10% tritium then each chunk will have on average that percentage of each ore to make up 1t when refined. So in this case you'd need to gather about 10 chunks to make 1t of tritium in your hold.

Don't get confused by the Material Content High/Medium/Low message. That only refers to collectable engineering raw materials contained in the rock like carbon, iron etc.

Um Ive been stuck in the black since may 2020 and there is not even close to double tritium! I have spent weeks searching and when I finally find a hot spot, the astroid says depleted before I get a full ton? I post a request for assistance but my issue was marked invalid and linked to this forum. I CANT PLAY YOUR GAME BECAUSE YOU BROKE IT AND NOW REFUSE TO RECOGNISE MY ISSUE. I have spent 20 hours trying to find tritium in the last 3 months and all I get is a handful of tons. I am an experienced miner in Elite and know what Im doing. so PLease Dev. none of your past fixes has helped. this is not fun gameplay. or just respond to my issue personally and help out of the hole you put me in by messing with mining so much that now I m stuck 10000lyrs from anything and cant do anything but search hopelessly for tritium that isnt there
They didn't double the supply of tritium, they doubled the range a given amount of tritium will carry you (i.e. if X tons of tritium took you N light-years, now you will only need to use X/2 tons of tritium to go N light-years). Of course, doubling the efficiency of tritium is absolutely useless if you have no tritium in the first place, which is the ACTUAL problem people were complaining about. But, of course, it's very clear that FDEV doesn't have the first clue how to make tritium (or anything else found in NotSpots) more readily available - they've tried to fix these issues five times now, making it worse each time, even breaking the PWA along the way, before finally just giving up and doubling the efficiency of tritium. There is tritium out there, but it's far more scarce than it should be (as is anything in NotSpots).

Top Bottom