Elite Dangerous - Tritium Efficiency Update

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders!

We'd like to talk about the recent patches and a change we have just made to the live game.

Since the release of Fleet Carriers we've made changes intended to balance the overwhelming effect of overlapping hotspots, with the latest update resolving the cause of this issue and bringing hotspots back in line with our original goals. Singular hotspots now provide a significant bonus to a resources' frequency over the rest of the ring and areas where multiple hotspots overlap are still more lucrative than their non-overlapped counterparts, but at much more reasonable levels.

One effect of the latest patch that we felt could be improved further was how it impacts tritium. The reduction in availability of tritium, most notably at overlapping hotspots, has made getting around the galaxy by mining the commodity more time consuming than we would like. In order to maintain the new, more natural distribution of tritium within icy asteroid rings, we will instead be increasing its effect.

Tritium is now twice as potent, allowing Fleet Carriers to consume 50% less fuel (this includes the base tritium requirement) and effectively doubling the capacity of their fuel tank. This change should be effective immediately but players may still see old values until they next log in

Thank you as always to our community for your ongoing feedback.

That's more in line with my original estimated suggestions since Beta, though those were 100 tons per max-range jump. I suppose the carrier owners can live with the new values. :)

EDIT:
I'd suggest lowering the fuel cost to 100 tons for a 500 LY jump. That would allow 10 jumps on a full tank and would mitigate the grind considerably.

Last edited:
Perfect timing. I'm currently fueling my carrier for a short (test) exploration trip to a point a few thousand lightyears away from the bubble. That patch couldn't have come at a more opportune time (y)
Much appreciated

Greetings Commanders!

We'd like to talk about the recent patches and a change we have just made to the live game.

Since the release of Fleet Carriers we've made changes intended to balance the overwhelming effect of overlapping hotspots, with the latest update resolving the cause of this issue and bringing hotspots back in line with our original goals. Singular hotspots now provide a significant bonus to a resources' frequency over the rest of the ring and areas where multiple hotspots overlap are still more lucrative than their non-overlapped counterparts, but at much more reasonable levels.

One effect of the latest patch that we felt could be improved further was how it impacts tritium. The reduction in availability of tritium, most notably at overlapping hotspots, has made getting around the galaxy by mining the commodity more time consuming than we would like. In order to maintain the new, more natural distribution of tritium within icy asteroid rings, we will instead be increasing its effect.

Tritium is now twice as potent, allowing Fleet Carriers to consume 50% less fuel (this includes the base tritium requirement) and effectively doubling the capacity of their fuel tank. This change should be effective immediately but players may still see old values until they next log in

Thank you as always to our community for your ongoing feedback.

Seems sensible, it'll be interesting to see how the players are affected by this.

I think that throughout balancing issues like this it's important that the community are made aware of the intended design direction and that information has been severely lacking. I have similar issues with other changes to the BGS over the same period, almost entirely undocumented.

Top Bottom