Elite Dangerous: Update 7.01 and Horizons Update (PC Only)

This issue might have its roots server side, but also client side - various types of service providers. routers, nat etc.
To minimize the client side potential issues - all multiplayer participants should use port forwarding for Elite instead of relying on NAT and/or UPNP
Thanks for your suggestion but I think it's unreasonable and unrealistic for most people to know anything about NAT. Let alone having to re-configure their routers for port forwarding just to make the game work properly. They shouldn't have to. I work for a router manufacturer and I have enough trouble with getting my customers to understand NAT and NAPT. And they are supposed to know how it works.

But don't get me wrong, I understand you are trying to help. So thank you.

Seeing that it's peer to peer it seems natural that you'd have to forward a port..

IMO best done manually instead of UPnP.

It's not the only game that requires it.

Thanks for your suggestion but I think it's unreasonable and unrealistic for most people to know anything about NAT. Let alone having to re-configure their routers for port forwarding just to make the game work properly. They shouldn't have to. I work for a router manufacturer and I have enough trouble with getting my customers to understand NAT and NAPT. And they are supposed to know how it works.

But don't get me wrong, I understand you are trying to help. So thank you.

If you don't enable port forwarding in certain cases the game will use a fallback mode which is not as fast or reliable. I agree that it's not desirable to have people setting up port forwarding, but that's the situation with any game using peer to peer networking - you can set up a stable connection yourselves, or you can roll the dice.

If you're in a team of four, and you jump, one of those four will be hosting the next game instance (or some random, if you're in Open). If they're behind a restricted router, none of you can connect directly to their PC and it's nearly always game over. (I've done this: enabled network logs on each PC, and browsed them to see which of the team was picked to host the instance, or 'island'. All the failure-to-connects show up in the other players' logs.)

In network settings (after loading the game, and before starting it) scroll down to router type. If it says port_restricted or similar, and UPNP is disabled on the router, that player wants to enable port forwarding, no question.

On the plus side you only need to set it up once.

1633567787009.png

Last edited:
Everything works until you hit supercruise. But in any case I'd like to hear what FDev say about it. Thanks.
Sighman reports below that this method is debunked or at least inconsistent...

There is a workaround which I have used and know that it works 100%, at least for us and it might work for you. Though we haven't needed the workaround since update 5 or 6.

Prior to entering supercruise or jumping, have all passengers (non-ship owners) open the navigation panel. Once they allhave the nav panel open, initiate supercruise/jump. Proceed normally after entering supercruise. I don't remember having to do it when exiting SC.

However, there is another issue with multiplayer which makes traveling together much less palatable:

The following applies to any Odyssey settlement as far as I know when performing any mission (not a CZ).

When multiple commanders travel on the same ship and one of them dies, without fines/bounties for the settlement they were at:

a) The ship owner will respawn in ship, in orbit above the settlement.

b) The guests, non-owners, will respawn in the last station they were at and/or where their current ship is docked, which could be in the same or another system.

If you never die, it is not a problem, however, we all always fly our own ships now to avoid this situation, which really puts a damper on same ship travel and the upcoming 4 seater ships.

Getting back into the fray after dying is much much faster if you bring your own ship.

Last edited:
... However, there is another issue with multiplayer which makes traveling together much less palatable:

The following applies to any Odyssey settlement as far as I know when performing any mission (not a CZ).

When multiple commanders travel on the same ship and one of them dies, without fines/bounties for the settlement they were at:

b) The guests, non-owners, will respawn in the last station they were at and/or where their current ship is docked, which could be in the same or another system.

If you never die, it is not a problem, however, we all always fly our own ships now to avoid this situation, which really puts a damper on same ship travel and the upcoming 4 seater ships.

Getting back into the fray after dying is much much faster if you bring your own ship.

I've added an issue in the tracker for this situation:

There is a workaround which I have used and know that it works 100%, at least for us and it might work for you. Though we haven't needed the workaround since update 5 or 6.

Prior to entering supercruise or jumping, have all passengers (non-ship owners) open the navigation panel. Once they allhave the nav panel open, initiate supercruise/jump. Proceed normally after entering supercruise. I don't remember having to do it when exiting SC.

I've verified this doesn't work on more than one occasion. On the most memorable occasion I told a streamer to try this trick, and their jump failed on-stream, right in front of all their viewers. (He was trying to travel in my ship, and I advised him to look at the nav panel as per the many suggestions about this workaround.)

I've verified this doesn't work on more than one occasion. On the most memorable occasion I told a streamer to try this trick, and their jump failed on-stream, right in front of all their viewers. (He was trying to travel in my ship, and I advised him to look at the nav panel as per the many suggestions about this workaround.)

Got it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Yep, this is a major pain, and could be resolved by having the teammate respawn in any ship or SRV belonging to the team where that teammate would have access. (E.g. the one they arrived in, or another 2+ seater belonging to any cmdr in the team.)

Or, you know, they could respawn in an Apex 300km above the settlement and get dropped off.

When they get the UI designers back in for another stream they should really ask for the reasoning around the display / numbers of FC in a system - I'd like to understand where they were coming from on that one.

When they get the UI designers back in for another stream they should really ask for the reasoning around the display / numbers of FC in a system - I'd like to understand where they were coming from on that one.
That was not the UI designers doing. FCs are (weird) stations, for all intents and purposes. So of course they show on the system map. Until somebody changes something.

So I guess the only question you could ask them is "why didn't you have time to change this", but the answer would be pretty obvious.

If you don't enable port forwarding in certain cases the game will use a fallback mode which is not as fast or reliable. I agree that it's not desirable to have people setting up port forwarding, but that's the situation with any game using peer to peer networking - you can set up a stable connection yourselves, or you can roll the dice.

If you're in a team of four, and you jump, one of those four will be hosting the next game instance (or some random, if you're in Open). If they're behind a restricted router, none of you can connect directly to their PC and it's nearly always game over. (I've done this: enabled network logs on each PC, and browsed them to see which of the team was picked to host the instance, or 'island'. All the failure-to-connects show up in the other players' logs.)

In network settings (after loading the game, and before starting it) scroll down to router type. If it says port_restricted or similar, and UPNP is disabled on the router, that player wants to enable port forwarding, no question.

On the plus side you only need to set it up once.

View attachment 267231
Hi Sighman, thank you very much indeed for your reply. I mean this is completely news to me. I do know about port forwarding, I just don't like it because it leaves my PC wide open on that port. And I didn't know it was sometimes necessary.

I realise I shouldn't be coming to you for Tech Support ha ha, but can you clarify something for me please?
If I look at my network settings in game, UPNP is enabled but port forwarding is off. Are you saying that I do not need to enable port forwarding?

Secondly, the multicrew issue I raised where I was the passenger, but got left stuck in the blue warp tunnel. That wasn't necessary an issue with my connection, but any one of us might have needed to use port forwarding? Depending who the hosting fell to.

I'm happy to contact Frontier support but just wondered what you would say. Thanks.

My settings:
1633599469531.jpeg

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Good morning @sallymorganmoore. Look I'm really sorry to ping you personally, I know you work hard and you've got enough on your plate. But I've raised this problem on the issue tracker. It persistent and utterly breaks the gameplay if you want to use the multicrew function with your team mates. I notice it has been raised multiple times by other players but each time it has expired due to "This issue expired due to it not being confirmed in the allocated time frame.". Which is odd because it looks to me that this issue had been confirmed on the same day by other players.

So please, please can someone look into this? We finally managed to round up enough players in our player group to try play together after some long absences. And it just ruins group play and you can hear it in peoples voices that they are fed up. The upcoming 4th multi-crew seat is utterly pointless if this doesn't work.

Again, sorry to bug you. Hope you are having a good day.

Heya! I'll take a look, sure. Thanks for passing along the link.
No worries about the ping, thanks for saying :) Happy to have a run with this o7

Top Bottom