Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

couldn't they just release the "massive" monthly update and next week deploy 7.1 with maybe more bugs detected over the week fixed alongside the community goal one?

why delay an update that we've been waiting for over a month for ONE bug? why is that bug so critical that it's prioritized over a huge list of fixes and improvements?

honestly doesn't make sense to me.
It's certainly a big one though, especially if it's a Wednesday and you're sitting in the top 10 with your contribution.

Your all missing the point entirely.

Halloumi is the Emperor of cheeses. Ruler of all other cheeses. Excellence bar none. Moreish to the most degree.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore do we have any word on the XG9 lance bug potentially being fixed? It’s a small bug I know

Hihihi. Ohhh this is the one where you called the AI a "s*mp" in a post about it.

So I need to look more into why it's being said that 3 shots were always being made and not one, because by design it's one shot BUT something has gone wonky with the way it's all visually represented which is no doubt where the confusion is. Basically me talking out loud at you to try and show I'm thinking about it o7

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (90).png
    MicrosoftTeams-image (90).png
    93.1 KB · Views: 107
right, what's +1 week on single digit fps right?
for someone who hasn't been able to enjoy the expansion since launch, a week delay just to see if(and that's a big OF) the update will finally help with the issues is fine, so ONE single bug can be ironed out, then will be 51 bug fixes instead of 50.

biggest problem is the cg right now, so I'll be back in a week to se if they postpone for another week, until then you got frontiers back, right boys?

godspeed.

for someone who hasn't been able to enjoy the expansion since launch, a week delay just to see if(and that's a big OF) the update will finally help with the issues is fine, so ONE single bug can be ironed out, then will be 51 bug fixes instead of 50.
Well, they already said Patch 7 probably won't fix that. So you were just getting over-excited about something that wasn't going to happen. Which happens a lot around here :)

No ship interiors either, before you ask (y)

sallymorganmoore

Given that you are having this under your belt, and given that the issue tracker still lists it as confirming.... would it be possible to change the process to mark items under your belt in the issues tracker somehow? Maybe to "acknowledged" or "confirmed".

Definitely something to consider for the future improvements of the Issue Tracker for sure, I agree.

It'd help with clarity on what's known and what isn't BUT right now I just wanna get as many things around the waist as possible, even if this is really unconventional right now, so we get some kind of optimal list of fixes that eventually works for as many of...everyone as possible over the next bunch of updates.

Gotta go rogue a bit sometimes to get a feel for what actually gets a result, so bear with me :)

Sorry if this has been answered, but will turrets track heat signatures? I'd love a reason to bust out my cold DBX, it's such an atmospheric ship to fly...

Last time I checked armour that you could buy and store still didn't hve the description for which ship it was for leading you to blind guessing.

sallymorganmoore

We really don't know their DevOps practices to comment whether CI/CD would be efficient for the ED codebase.
We really don't know the state of ED codebase to say how complex the fix is.
We really don't know the QA processes to determine how straightforward a regression test is.

An awful lot of assumptions are being made by people with scant information on how Frontier operate and a little too much experience in their own environment.

Thanks for this! o7

biggest problem is the cg right now, so I'll be back in a week to se if they postpone for another week, until then you got frontiers back, right boys?

godspeed.
You need to consider the impact. How many players have Odyssey? Lots I'd guess. How many players take part in CGs? The vast majority I would imagine.

So more players are likely to be potentially impacted by the CG issue than would be by the issues that update 7 will fix.

As I'm on console I'm very much aware that the speed of these fixes impacts when I get to play the game in the first place. Let's get things right though and if they want to fix other issues that crop up that have the potential to cause problems for a large number of players as part of this process, that can only be a good thing.

I can't tell you how shocked and outraged I am at this week's del....

Oh, wait a minute, I had carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, I won't be playing anything for at least ten days.

Frontier should definitely take all the time it needs - well, up to ten days anyway - to fix this terrible CG bug.

godspeed.
Well, don't expect massive improvements with update 7.
If we are lucky some serious difference will be made by update 8, but there's no guarantee.

Still, we don't even know if update 7 was ready at all, so we are talking angels' sex

Deleted member 182079

D
Well, don't expect massive improvements
Sage advice for any update at this rate.

I'm starting to ask myself whether it's better to just uninstall Odyssey and stick with Horizons for my Elite fix, until 2022 at least. I could then install another game given I'm running out of space on my PC, since I play Odyssey less and less because whenever I think of booting it up, I remember how unpleasant it is even just purely from a technical standpoint (concourse stutters even with FSR enabled while the image rendered isn't particularly impressive visually/aesthetically, either).

The last 6 updates have been marginal at best for me, and the most notable fix for me has actually been the megaship looting one (which not only has nothing specific to do with Odyssey, but isn't even applied in Horizons). On the other hand, in Horizons my shipkits don't prevent me from firing weapons so... swings & roundabouts.

I tried to be patient, after the awful and dare I say misleading Alpha/release period, but it's been 3 months and counting 4 months next week, and I'm struggling at this stage to keep waiting.

I'll see how #7 pans out, but as per your suggestion above... not holding my breath and it might finally be time to give up on Odyssey and focus my energy/attention on other games, which I already do to some extent anyways.

I will still wait until next week until I make the above decision, and see what the new bugs/resolved bugs ratio is this time - but "Wait just another month or three, and maybe it'll be better fingers crossed" just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sage advice for any update at this rate.

I'm starting to ask myself whether it's better to just uninstall Odyssey and stick with Horizons for my Elite fix, until 2022 at least. I could then install another game given I'm running out of space on my PC, since I play Odyssey less and less because whenever I think of booting it up, I remember how unpleasant it is even just purely from a technical standpoint (concourse stutters even with FSR enabled while the image rendered isn't particularly impressive visually/aesthetically, either).

The last 6 updates have been marginal at best for me, and the most notable fix for me has actually been the megaship looting one (which not only has nothing specific to do with Odyssey, but isn't even applied in Horizons). On the other hand, in Horizons my shipkits don't prevent me from firing weapons so... swings & roundabouts.

I tried to be patient, after the awful and dare I say misleading Alpha/release period, but it's been 3 months and counting, and I'm struggling at this stage to keep waiting.

I'll see how #7 pans out, but as per your suggestion above... not holding my breath and it might finally be time to give up on Odyssey and focus my energy/attention on other games, which I already do to some extent anyways.

I will still wait until next week until I make the above decision, and see what the new bugs/resolved bugs ratio is this time - but "Wait just another month or three, and maybe it'll be better fingers crossed" just doesn't do it for me anymore.
my personal fence to jump is set to #8 (so i guess late October/early November)

Hihihi. Ohhh this is the one where you called the AI a "s*mp" in a post about it.

So I need to look more into why it's being said that 3 shots were always being made and not one, because by design it's one shot BUT something has gone wonky with the way it's all visually represented which is no doubt where the confusion is. Basically me talking out loud at you to try and show I'm thinking about it o7
"Talking out loud" eh, Sally? Jeepers, those FD guys, what will they think of next?! :)

Top Bottom