Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

Why not take it a step further and make "whining" a bannable offense. I'm sure it'd get the Streisand award for outstanding PR.
I'm alright with that idea, actually. As any parent can attest to, there's a glaring line between having complaints (which is completely fair enough) and whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiining.

One I can handle (albeit not always agree with) the other is like nails on a blackboard...

ThosePepperyGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

At the very least, and before you finally stamp "expired" on the issue tracker, this thing needs to be moderated (and sometimes overruled!) by human intelligence. I'm sorry, but the only one who seems suitable for this task at the moment is you, Sally. 🥴

Btw, I still have far too many CTDs, especially when plotting routes for Apex (about one in 3 attempts). Is this somehow on the radar in-house? Look at my latest crash reports...

Here's my 2c of coding brilliance:

IF CTD = TRUE
then CTD = FALSE

🍌

Even better!
No need for a condition here :
They should write CTD=false everywhere in the code base then... no crashes anymore! :LOL:

Seriously, it seems there a lot of missing checks in EDO...
Handling unrecoverable errors/exceptions should at least exit the game as gracefully as possible (only OS or hardware problems should generate brutal CTDs).

Last edited:
After the now infamous EDO launch, I will never complain about FDev delaying a release of anything. Since that day I have been waiting, what seems like a long time, to get a patch where frame rates are such that I can actually participate in settlement based missions on foot. For me Odyssey is reduced to missions where I legally pick up stuff. With frame rates at 0 - 20 I have still been killed twice even trying to do those basic collection missions because the guard's "I'm going to scan you" warning did not render before I found my self dead. That means I mainly do exploration. Even when exploring the planetary tech renders before my eyes most of the time. Whatever it takes, please, please, please up the frame rendering performance. Thanks!
What sort of graphics card is that? Have you tried deleting your graphics config files before starting the game? C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm alright with that idea, actually. As any parent can attest to, there's a glaring line between having complaints (which is completely fair enough) and whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiining.

One I can handle (albeit not always agree with) the other is like nails on a blackboard...

ThosePepperyGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif
The problem starts though when trying to define what "whining" constitutes.

For some, it means constructive criticism. For others, it's a bunch of bullies raining on one's favourite game's parade. When it's in fact the same post they refer to.

Actual trolling is a separate matter and that should indeed get rooted out, but then that happens on both sides (plenty of examples on the last couple of pages here) so it probably balances out, and there's always the ignore function if one really can't handle it.

Deleted member 182079

D
I think what antagonizes me the most is when the poster tries to talk for the entire player base. There is a lot of that going on here in the forums. Pointing out problems I don't have any problem with.
I ignore it these days and focus on the argument(s) made. I bet that often posters don't mean to speak on the behalf of others and all that's missing is the 'imo', but it's implied. imo.

And the inverse is also true, i.e. the "I'm alright Jack" posters. Just because they don't encounter (or notice) a problem, or have different standards/expectations, doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. But I try to ignore those too these days.

I know that I'm able to annoy a few folk posting here, just by posting... Have regularly been called a troll too - which I think is quite funny, given the posters suggesting such ;)

I don't mind the 'whining' by folk who are currently playing the version of our game they are having issues with - it is the self-professed "I've not played this game for XXX period" or "I've not played Odyssey but..." folk who then regularly berate both game and, either directly (not so often now) or indirectly, suggest that the developers are lacking in said poster's view...

Some of the forum undead are quite fun, but a few too many are just a little to ascerbic to resist baiting further, which is probably why I annoy them 🤷‍♂️

You sprinkle asserts (condition must be true to continue, assets since its C++ for elite) in around the place, to try and catch stuff during the debug build. But your paying a penalty for these, so the release build has them turned off. Which is probably the right thing, since if it does go wrong, you may get away with it (depends what kind of error it is).

And no-one has yet invented a sure fire way of making sure you have coded enough asserts to deal with everything (for normal programming assurance levels, we are not talking DAL Level A here).

And with a network game, reading external input, you've got the added complication of not knowing what crappy data may be fed to you.

Software is an art form, and you'll never get to 100% perfection.

The problem starts though when trying to define what "whining" constitutes.

For some, it means constructive criticism. For others, it's a bunch of bullies raining on one's favourite game's parade. When it's in fact the same post they refer to.

Actual trolling is a separate matter and that should indeed get rooted out, but then that happens on both sides (plenty of examples on the last couple of pages here) so it probably balances out, and there's always the ignore function if one really can't handle it.
True enough. There are posters on here who are fairly consistently negative about the game at the moment (I'd count you as one of them, not having a dig) BUT more or less everything they say is completely valid, accurate, and understandable. (Again, I'd think you're in that camp - no probs at all).

Its the people who incessantly post about the same topic over and over, often ones that have been addressed. Take framerates - everyone here KNOWS its an issue, nobody's argued its not. Frontier has ACKNOWLEDGED its an issue. They've updated us that the work on it is ONGOING but will likely extend past the next few updates. But STILL people will respond to every update from the community managers complaining about them. Similar thing about the planetary tiling - every time there was an update, there was yet another new thread highlighting how tiling is ruining the game. Ship interiors. We know, we get it, nobody DOESN'T want ship interiors (some would argue its not a priority, but I don't think there's a single ED player who wouldn't want the chance to walk around their ship at least once or twice). And of course there are the threads - often times from accounts started after Odyssey's launch - announcing that the game is dead, FDev are awful, Braben is evil incarnate, why are Frontier even trying to fix such a broken load of rubbish, etc.

I dunno. There are glass is half full people on here. Glass is half empty people on here. Neither of which I have issue wilth.

It's the "Ermagerd, I'm sick of this glass, you people need to understand how awful this glass is, the glass was created by awful people and could actually kill you... now that I mention it, I dunno why ANYONE likes glass - especially this glass. Everyone should drink from this completely different container that I personally like and if you don't agree with what I'm saying then you're a sheep or maybe an employee of the glass company" ones that do my head in. (And conversely, the "Nope, this glass is flawless crystal and we should all be honoured to drink from it" people - although they're far rarer these days!)

I'm not a programmer and probably just a silly comment, but could it be that these checks are taken out to increase performance?

Your comment is not silly at all.

Well... simply put, they are mostly required because :

1) Removing/ignoring validations/checks/controls in the code is really a bad idea (running code without asserting that its requirements are fulfilled may cause crashes or instability)
2) Most check can even improve performance (bypass code that is not supposed to run in the current application context).

In any case, they should not decrease performance overall, while missing validations may cause the entire application to become instable, so...

Not saying that this is the case in ED but, well... It has been a long time since I saw that much crashes in a piece of software (except my own! 😝).

Last edited:
I must say, it is dissapointing that it is still not possible to play CZ on foot with acceptable shooter-fps (Edit: with a 1.300,00 EUR 3080RTX Card). I really had hope for this week, now this delay. Mh :/
It is possible for many - I get between 40 and 50 fps in surface combat zone - don't assume your experience applies to all. It is the fact that some people have fps issues and some don't is what is making these sort of issues so difficult to fix.
If the same performance issues applied to everyone they would be a lot easier to find and resolve.

Sally, have you thought about starting a new thread just called 'Odyssey Whining ats?' where folk can post the same old, tired whinging salty arguments time and again and leave the bulletin updates for others who know the state of play, know Fdev are doing their best to remedy it and who are still having a damn good time with EDO anyway.

Nice idea but where are the people angry at steam keys, no offline mode, macOS, cockpit interiors and lots of other issues meant to do their moaning?

Deleted member 182079

D
True enough. There are posters on here who are fairly consistently negative about the game at the moment (I'd count you as one of them, not having a dig) BUT more or less everything they say is completely valid, accurate, and understandable. (Again, I'd think you're in that camp - no probs at all).

Its the people who incessantly post about the same topic over and over, often ones that have been addressed. Take framerates - everyone here KNOWS its an issue, nobody's argued its not. Frontier has ACKNOWLEDGED its an issue. They've updated us that the work on it is ONGOING but will likely extend past the next few updates. But STILL people will respond to every update from the community managers complaining about them. Similar thing about the planetary tiling - every time there was an update, there was yet another new thread highlighting how tiling is ruining the game. Ship interiors. We know, we get it, nobody DOESN'T want ship interiors (some would argue its not a priority, but I don't think there's a single ED player who wouldn't want the chance to walk around their ship at least once or twice). And of course there are the threads - often times from accounts started after Odyssey's launch - announcing that the game is dead, FDev are awful, Braben is evil incarnate, why are Frontier even trying to fix such a broken load of rubbish, etc.

I dunno. There are glass is half full people on here. Glass is half empty people on here. Neither of which I have issue wilth.

It's the "Ermagerd, I'm sick of this glass, you people need to understand how awful this glass is, the glass was created by awful people and could actually kill you... now that I mention it, I dunno why ANYONE likes glass - especially this glass. Everyone should drink from this completely different container that I personally like and if you don't agree with what I'm saying then you're a sheep or maybe an employee of the glass company" ones that do my head in. (And conversely, the "Nope, this glass is flawless crystal and we should all be honoured to drink from it" people - although they're far rarer these days!)
Yeah that's fair.

Although I find the individuals you refer to are limited in number, I appreciate they do exist. Whether I engage (or even agree) with them or not largely depends on the tone of the post and the arguments made, repetition of them isn't so much a problem for me, having said that for certain topics (like interiors and VR as examples, not that I have much skin in either myself) I realise Frontier have already made it pretty clear what the story is with those so no point in going on about them. Still, sometimes it's still fun to discuss the what-if but I wouldn't do it in this type of thread alright, as it's pointless - we already know the answer so just give it a rest.

On the other hand, I'm reasonably self-aware that I do bring up certain topics repeatedly, like lighting and EDH/EDO feeling so separate from each other, but also performance, reason I do that is because I don't believe these will be addressed anytime soon so I keep banging those drums out of mild frustration and impatience ... while I try to temper my posts because I want to remain civil and behave just like I would if we discussed this face-to-face (that's not to say I don't enjoy the occasional internet meltdown! As long as it's from the sidelines that is).

I used to be a lot more positive around here (since you observed that I'm not, and you'd be quite right unfortunately), until I took a botched over-priced DLC to the knee. In light of the last updates I find it difficult to get back to my old attitude, haven't bought a single Arx since release (I consider myself a bit of a whale in terms of money spent, far from proud of it mind), instead I've let them accumulate as I have very little desire to even spend the ones I have, and it does feel like the good times are sort of over. In a way I'm still a little surprised about how much and how quickly my mood soured, I guess much of it is due to the way the DLC was advertised and rolled out, and like most people I don't like being taken for a fool (but it happened in the end, biowaste happens).

The question for me at this point is whether it's better to move on entirely, I don't think I'm quite ready yet... 600 Euros spent, 4,000 hours and a remaining passion for Elite the Space Game (not necessarily Odyssey though as you can tell) and also this very community prevent me from it, but it's waning I have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom