Elite Dangerous Vs Star Citizen from the point of an Elite Dangerous Player

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Why is ED better than SC?
Simple answer. VR

Even with ED:O's limited VR, it's got VR and that makes it better

Why is ED better than SC?
Simple answer. VR

Even with ED:O's limited VR, it's got VR and that makes it better

Well, if you have VR. I've said it before, the day i start playing games in VR, so i can't see my wife, let alone hear her with the headphones on, is the day i take the headset off to see a note from her saying the dinner is in the dog.

A few of her ships have been actually gifted by other backers, plus she's certainly bought the Cutty black, perhaps a couple more...they're not all purchased in game ships so not effected by a persistence db wipe :)
Yep. Pay2Win mechanics are very beneficial to content creators, enabling them to skip progression grinds and jump straight into what they want to focus on. Any database wipes will be of limited consequence to Katie and other CCs, irrespective of whether they or their fans are doing the paying.

Yep. Pay2Win mechanics are very beneficial to content creators, enabling them to skip progression grinds and jump straight into what they want to focus on. Any database wipes will be of limited consequence to Katie and other CCs, irrespective of whether they or their fans are doing the paying.
The much needed db wipe won't effect me too much either by way of ships since I've only bought a couple of smaller fighters in game for the likes of Xenothreat and general bounty hunting. Where the wipe will kill me is in the amount of ship upgrades I've spent on since 3.8.

Until the game is classed as released or the switch over to UEC game currency...in the unlikely event that happens in my lifetime... it's not too wise to get overly attached to anything earned or bought in game though...we're still on aUEC, it's going to get wiped along everything bought in game with it :)

ED is a game. With all its pros and cons, like so many others. It's far from perfect but far from a bad game also. Quite on the contrary: it is a darn good game for space sim lovers.

SC is just an idea. A good idea, I'll give you that. But just an idea nonetheless. And ten years in alpha is just plainly ridiculous.

No, it's not a good idea. The "everything game being best at everything in every way" is the gaming equivalent of the "eat infinite cake and lose weight" diet. It doesn't work, it never had a chance of working, it's stupid. There really is nothing more to it.
I know. That's why I'm saying it's just an idea. And ideas people can give by the hundreds: it really doesn't mean anything and that's exactly my point.

I've tried SC and it lacks focus altogether. And any willing to give it a bit of thought will understand how it shows that will never fully achieve all its promises. And I belive Starfield will grab a lot of people in and between those games.

So all in all ED and SC aren't actually comparable. One is a game, the other isn't. Simple as that.

It's like comparing a beer to a deer. It might sound similar but both are completely different things.

I know. That's why I'm saying it's just an idea. And ideas people can give by the hundreds: it really doesn't mean anything and that's exactly my point.

I've tried SC and it lacks focus altogether. And any willing to give it a bit of thought will understand how it shows that will never fully achieve all its promises. And I belive Starfield will grab a lot of people in and between those games.

So all in all ED and SC aren't actually comparable. One is a game, the other isn't. Simple as that.

It's like comparing a beer to a deer. It might sound similar but both are completely different things.
I doubt Starfield will really compete with ED, or SC. But I have high hopes it'll be a fun open world semi-rpg romp. :)

Starfield won't compete with Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, or the neverending-alpha of Star Citizen, but it'll definitely compete with the forever-delayed Squadron 42.

Skyrim/Fallout in space, with modding? What's not to love!

Last edited:
I play both games SC and Elite. I play Elite for 2 years and SC for 3 months. The two games are great in their own way but playing SC for a while and Elite start looking outdated and super grindy. Currently I find myself more and more drawn towards SC. I am still turning on Elite from time to time to get the updates but for me there is not a lot of engaging stuff to do. And yes, ship interiors if done correctly change the game and never become old. You never get tired of them as they are important part of the gameplay that creates unique immersion.

I play both games SC and Elite. I play Elite for 2 years and SC for 3 months. The two games are great in their own way but playing SC for a while and Elite start looking outdated and super grindy. Currently I find myself more and more drawn towards SC. I am still turning on Elite from time to time to get the updates but for me there is not a lot of engaging stuff to do. And yes, ship interiors if done correctly change the game and never become old. You never get tired of them as they are important part of the gameplay that creates unique immersion.

TBF I despise having to run through a Caterpillar. The community in SC is great, but the lack of any finished game loop is frustrating.

They are very different games, and I play each for different reasons.

Yeah, I think that people would get tired of FC interiors, with a lot of "I'm sorry Dave but u just can't", a lot sooner than running through your ship on the way to fixing the FSD or loading cargo etc. I was watching D2EA stream SC yesterday, and watching that it was obvious that running around in a ship interior actually makes some pretty good gameplay.

I haven't tried SC (yet), and I've learned to only expect what is "in the box" at the time of purchase (never preorder). I agree, that for someone like me, that started playing Horizon (because VR and flying spaceships), there has not been a lot of new goodies lately (except the new planets that are/look awesome).

I can't remember the last time I played ED. When I rarely do, it is still a great game, but after several thousand hours, even ED becomes slightly trivial, so I regularly drop by the forum to see what might come in the future. Not much it seems. If I someday can use VR in SC, then you can count me in.

I really liked NMS for what it was. Played it from day 1, enjoyed the many expansions and have had more that my money's worth out of it, but I no longer play it.

I really liked ED for what it was. Played it from beta, really enjoyed Horizons and have had more that my money's worth out of it, but I no longer play it.

I knew of Roberts' track record and decided to wait until SC/SQ42 got released in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021.... I'm pleased that some enjoy it for what it is, and hope that it will get released (and be worth the wait and meet its own goals*). Although sadly I don't think that will happen.

Starfield I'll get on day 1 hoping to enjoy it much like I enjoyed Fallout 4, and play it until I got bored, just like FO4.

In the mean time I'm enjoying Valheim.

The point? Play what you enjoy and enjoy playing them and don't care about anyone else's opinion. Do you think they really care about yours?

* pun intended

I really liked NMS for what it was. Played it from day 1, enjoyed the many expansions and have had more that my money's worth out of it, but I no longer play it.

I really liked ED for what it was. Played it from beta, really enjoyed Horizons and have had more that my money's worth out of it, but I no longer play it.

I knew of Roberts' track record and decided to wait until SC/SQ42 got released in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021.... I'm pleased that some enjoy it for what it is, and hope that it will get released (and be worth the wait and meet its own goals*). Although sadly I don't think that will happen.

Starfield I'll get on day 1 hoping to enjoy it much like I enjoyed Fallout 4, and play it until I got bored, just like FO4.

In the mean time I'm enjoying Valheim.

The point? Play what you enjoy and enjoy playing them and don't care about anyone else's opinion. Do you think they really care about yours?

* pun intended
Well that's just it. NMS, ED, X4, Space Engineers and so on are simply games. For a few tenners you get some, or a lot, of fun. It's all fine unless one expects it to replace or 'compensate' for reality. That just won't work, even if you are Legatus Biggus Diccus. And it's not because 'devs so lazy'.

Pay to be lazy
Elite Dangerous should officially adopt this model since its already being done unofficially. ED can take over your life.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom