Elite Dangerous vs Star Citizen

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"Elite Dangerous vs Star Citizen"

I think we'll have a full picture when the big content update for Elite release late next year... hope Fdev adds Space Legs... I'd love to walk around my ship and stations - kind of weird that a space ship flying game with a first person view doesn't have this in 2019.

I'm for a simpler iteration of space legs. By simpler I mean the ship interior, the dock area around ship and a few station facilities like the lounge and
Contacts/Mission rooms. Nothing else. These can be all optional and the original menu system should stay in place.

I DO NOT want any kind of FPS combat in this game. If I wanted FPS I'd fire up UnrealTournament.

I also do not feel the need to stroll around on barren planets either. So basically, keep ED the cockpit focused space sim it is and expand it out with the items above.
If they did this, and livened up the docks a bit with people milling about, Elite would be almost

I have been playing a bit of NMS lately and I'm quite enjoying the space legs part of the game (not a fan of the flight engine though) but something similar to that would be fine. A little FPS would be fine just as long as it's not the majority of the gameplay.

I have been playing a bit of NMS lately and I'm quite enjoying the space legs part of the game (not a fan of the flight engine though) but something similar to that would be fine. A little FPS would be fine just as long as it's not the majority of the gameplay.

To each his own but I'm just afraid FPS will turn into another form of gank fest. There's enough of that already.
I don't want to be peacefully admiring my ship and having to constantly look over my shoulder should some DB
bash me over the head with a crowbar.

To each his own but I'm just afraid FPS will turn into another form of gank fest. There's enough of that already.
I don't want to be peacefully admiring my ship and having to constantly look over my shoulder should some DB
bash me over the head with a crowbar.
That would be space legs in solo or Pvt. Group to stop that then.

That would be space legs in solo or Pvt. Group to stop that then.

Yea, so go ahead and chalk one up for even more segregation.

Space legs could be a great opportunity to make Open a much more popular place. Having a conflict free area where people
can meet and actually get to know each other.

Instead of just "hello hollow square, pew". That type of "interaction", if you can call it that, does get boring after a while.

Yea, so go ahead and chalk one up for even more segregation.

Space legs could be a great opportunity to make Open a much more popular place. Having a conflict free area where people
can meet and actually get to know each other.

Instead of just "hello hollow square, pew". That type of "interaction", if you can call it that, does get boring after a while.

Perfectly said. Some social space is the one aspect the game really is lacking in. So that's the one thing where spacelegs could really shine.

Yeah, come to think of it, SC 2.X alphas were great for this kind of spontaneous interaction. "I see you 'miring my spaceship. Come inside, I'll show you around", or just chatting up some random guy in the lobby. Then 3.0 alpha expanded the PU and I lost interest. If space legs could capture some of this social aspect, it might be a worthwhile feature.

Last edited:
I'm for a simpler iteration of space legs. By simpler I mean the ship interior, the dock area around ship and a few station facilities like the lounge and
Contacts/Mission rooms. Nothing else. These can be all optional and the original menu system should stay in place.

I DO NOT want any kind of FPS combat in this game. If I wanted FPS I'd fire up UnrealTournament.

I also do not feel the need to stroll around on barren planets either. So basically, keep ED the cockpit focused space sim it is and expand it out with the items above.
If they did this, and livened up the docks a bit with people milling about, Elite would be almost perfect.

X.
Well its not up to you, because in addition to walking around stations and ships, frontier plans to implement fps combat, which may also include ship boarding according to statements made by frontier during the season 2 livestreams. Frontier even went as far to say they wanted security turrets inside ships.
Besides, this is Elite Dangerous, not elite walking simulator

Last edited:
IMO it is the lack of competition from the likes of Star Citizen that has lead to the slowing down/stagnation of ED in recent times, we need SC to release in order to drive up the quality of ED

IMO it is the lack of competition from the likes of Star Citizen that has lead to the slowing down/stagnation of ED in recent times, we need SC to release in order to drive up the quality of ED

NMS? X4? SC... lol, just kidding. Hellion? Dual Universe? Space Engineers? Kerbal? Infinity Battlescape? EvE? Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Sorry, that "no competition" hogwash just don't wash any more.

There is plenty of competition.

Yet somehow, despite its flaws and alternatives, people continue to play ED...

And how will SC drive up the quality of ED? Its a buggy tech demo with hardly any gameplay features. If you are looking for a game to put pressure on ED, SC isn't it, and might never be.

Well its not up to you, because in addition to walking around stations and ships, frontier plans to implement fps combat, which may also include ship boarding according to statements made by frontier during the season 2 livestreams. Frontier even went as far to say they wanted security turrets inside ships.
Besides, this is Elite Dangerous, not elite walking simulator

Well it's not up to you either, thank God. Frontier has backtracked on "statements" before plenty of times. So there is still hope.
Elite will be whatever simulator it will become, regardless of what you or I think. Some will love it, some will hate it. Deal with it.

NMS? X4? SC... lol, just kidding. Hellion? Dual Universe? Space Engineers? Kerbal? Infinity Battlescape? EvE? Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Sorry, that "no competition" hogwash just don't wash any more.

There is plenty of competition.

Yet somehow, despite its flaws and alternatives, people continue to play ED...

And how will SC drive up the quality of ED? Its a buggy tech demo with hardly any gameplay features. If you are looking for a game to put pressure on ED, SC isn't it, and might never be.
The 'no competition's argument has become a true Scotsman over the years...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom