News Elite Dangerous Writing Contest - November 2017

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings Commanders,

With this month being November (we checked the calendar, it definitely is!) and this being what is widely known among writers as NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) we thought: what better way to celebrate creativity than to hold a writing contest of our own? So, we present you the Elite Dangerous Writing Contest! You may remember that a couple of years ago we held a similar contest to write CMDR Origin Stories. We received many entries from commanders who produced gripping short stories that made us laugh, widen our eyes in shock, and even water our eyes on more than one occasion. This time we're expanding the scope of the stories and what to write about to anything that you can think up. The rules, terms, and prizes are below.

Your Objectives

• Write an Elite Dangerous story! This could be:
    • Your CMDR's exploits over the past year
    • Fictional character(s) you've thought up (maybe a pirate lord, or a politician?)
    • The life of a Coriolis engineer/comms tower operator
    • Something else completely wild we haven't thought of
  • Be creative, there is no "wrong answer" - but please try to keep it PG13!
  • Follow the rules below & make sure you agree to the terms before submitting your entry

Rules

• Your submission must be between 1,000 - 2,000 words in length
  • Entries to be sent to community@frontier.co.uk with the title "Elite Dangerous Novella Contest"
    • We will only accept entries that are submitted through email
    • You may cross-post your entry to this thread if you wish to share with the community
  • All entries to be submitted before December 3, 2017 at 23:59 UTC
  • Only one entry per person will be allowed - Make sure you proofread, edit, and make changes before submitting
  • In the event of more than one entry received, only the first will be valid
  • Winners will be selected by a panel of Frontier Developments staff members
Addendum:
  • For the purposes of easily judging the entry, and being able to have a live reading on stream, submissions must be in English

Terms

• The works that you submit remains your creation as "fan fiction" and credit remains with you; however, should you wish to sell or profit from works created using Elite Dangerous intellectual property, you will need to acquire a license from our Licensing Team via email: licensing@elitedangerous.com
  • Any works submitted which includes characters already present in Elite Dangerous will not be considered canon - even in the case of the winning entry - and shall remain fan fiction
  • By entering this contest, you grant Frontier Developments permission to:
    • Re-distribute the submitted content on social media channels - in the case of winners and honorable mentions
    • In the case of the winner, read the story live on the 24h Charity Stream

Prizes
1st Place:
  • Live reading of the story on 24hr Charity Livestream
  • A copy of Elite Legacy (paperback)
  • A copy of Elite Dangerous: Premonition (paperback)
  • Elite Dangerous eBooks
    • Elite Dangerous: Premonition
    • Elite Dangerous: Reclamation
    • Elite Legacy
  • Digital in-game cosmetics

Runners-up (up to 3 selected):

Deleted member 110222

D
Does Frontier want us to send in our submission as the full story in the E-mail itself, or will a file attachment be required? I'm asking as I use Libre Office for my word processing needs, and IIRC, Libre saves documents in a different format to Microsoft Word. (Been a while since I needed to use it)

Does Frontier want us to send in our submission as the full story in the E-mail itself, or will a file attachment be required? I'm asking as I use Libre Office for my word processing needs, and IIRC, Libre saves documents in a different format to Microsoft Word. (Been a while since I needed to use it)

You can do this however you wish, whether that's through a word doc, odt, text file, etc. If worse comes to worse, we can also get hold of/install version of software internally to read the file. Or, as you suggest, you can drop it all into the body of the email.

We'll have ways to open the file, and if we're *really* stuck, then we can contact you and as for a plain text version should that be required. :)

Greetings Commanders,

With this month being November (we checked the calendar, it definitely is!) and this being what is widely known among writers as NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) we thought: what better way to celebrate creativity than to hold a writing contest of our own? So, we present you the Elite Dangerous Writing Contest! You may remember that a couple of years ago we held a similar contest to write CMDR Origin Stories. We received many entries from commanders who produced gripping short stories that made us laugh, widen our eyes in shock, and even water our eyes on more than one occasion. This time we're expanding the scope of the stories and what to write about to anything that you can think up. The rules, terms, and prizes are below.

Your Objectives

• Write an Elite Dangerous story! This could be:
    • Your CMDR's exploits over the past year
    • Fictional character(s) you've thought up (maybe a pirate lord, or a politician?)
    • The life of a Coriolis engineer/comms tower operator
    • Something else completely wild we haven't thought of
  • Be creative, there is no "wrong answer" - but please try to keep it PG13!
  • Follow the rules below & make sure you agree to the terms before submitting your entry

Rules

• Entries to be sent to community@frontier.co.uk with the title "Elite Dangerous Novella Contest"
    • We will only accept entries that are submitted through email
    • You may cross-post your entry to this thread if you wish to share with the community
  • All entries to be submitted before December 3, 2017 at 23:59 UTC
  • Only one entry per person will be allowed - Make sure you proofread, edit, and make changes before submitting
  • In the event of more than one entry received, only the first will be valid
  • Winners will be selected by a panel of Frontier Developments staff members

Terms

• The works that you submit remains your creation as "fan fiction" and credit remains with you; however, should you wish to sell or profit from works created using Elite Dangerous intellectual property, you will need to acquire a license from our Licensing Team via email: licensing@elitedangerous.com
  • Any works submitted which includes characters already present in Elite Dangerous will not be considered canon - even in the case of the winning entry - and shall remain fan fiction
  • By entering this contest, you grant Frontier Developments permission to:
    • Re-distribute the submitted content on social media channels - in the case of winners and honorable mentions
    • In the case of the winner, read the story live on the 24h Charity Stream

Prizes
1st Place:
  • Live reading of the story on 24hr Charity Livestream
  • A copy of Elite Legacy (paperback)
  • A copy of Elite Dangerous: Premonition (paperback)
  • Elite Dangerous eBooks
    • Elite Dangerous: Premonition
    • Elite Dangerous: Reclamation
    • Elite Legacy
  • Digital in-game cosmetics

Runners-up (up to 3 selected):

Hi Dale.

You didn't tell us in which language you want us to write it up ?

Deleted member 110222

D
You can do this however you wish, whether that's through a word doc, odt, text file, etc. If worse comes to worse, we can also get hold of/install version of software internally to read the file. Or, as you suggest, you can drop it all into the body of the email.

We'll have ways to open the file, and if we're *really* stuck, then we can contact you and as for a plain text version should that be required. :)

Thanks. Will get started very soon!

Now that's interesting... I was thinking 'bout writing an ED Fanfic one day or another, seems like now would be a great time to start computing lore... Well... At least a little more than usually...

Deleted member 110222

D
Follow-up question.

Do we also have to share our work here, or is only the delivery to you via Email required?

question about word length

Greetings Commanders,

[*]Be creative, there is no "wrong answer" - but please try to keep it PG13!
[*]Follow the rules below & make sure you agree to the terms before submitting your entry
[/LIST]

Rules

Dale,

Does the short story have to be between 1,000 and 2,000 worlds as I have one just over 5,000 words I was thinking of using but if it has to be under 2,000 words to use, I can't use it.

Alison

I've edited my Fifty Shades ebook to change 'Anastasia' to 'Salomé' and 'Christian Grey' to 'Bongo Baggins'. Then I noticed the rule about adult content.

I'll just keep it for myself...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom