Elite Dangerous YouTube 3D Animated Mini Series

Would love to know how this project is coming on OP. Read the script for the opening episode and loved it. Even if this turns out to be a written novel please keep us posted.

Also to add, I hope all ITT and their families are doing ok during these strange times x

Please do not worry, the series is still happening. The past month I've been scouting freelance 3d artists to lessen my work load and get the first episode made sooner. the main charactors, fan charactors and ships etc are still being modelled by me. But for scenes like cities/stations with citizens that need variations and other background charactors, I"ve been looking for someone to make a start on those. Odviously sending a tester project to artists (examples below, some good, some bad) requires time and money but I believe it's the best way to asses ability.

My modelling is paused. In a few months I will upload Cover art Showcasing the main characters and the series art style.

In these uncertain times, rest assured work will continue. I wish you, your loved ones well and you're spending time with them in some way, as I am.

1587781665477.png

1587780797543.png

1587782386750.png

1587782480621.png

In the meantime, If you have questions about my plans for the series, I'm happy to answer; I will however withheld surtain plot points for odvious reasons.

Last edited:
Behind the scenes videos are always a welcome thing in long term creative projects (I make the occasional one myself with Turjan's Travels) but when it comes to a heavily story-based series it can be tricky to walk that fine line between showing progress and inadvertently giving away elements of the plot...

I'd love to see more work in progress updates - but only if they don't compromise the story! You can always do a full on 'making of' video once the finished story videos are released :)(y)

Kool, thanks for the info and feedback. I was thinking of showing the making of worlds, sets and ships. I keep the plot close to my chest because I want the viewers watch the series with fresh eyes, and I have family who work in TV and film; knowing that a lot of writers and producers steal, giving Star Trek Descovery as an example. The modeling that's been done is mostly on the main characters and I want their apearance to be released together.

Kool, thanks for the info and feedback. I was thinking of showing the making of worlds, sets and ships. I keep the plot close to my chest because I want the viewers watch the series with fresh eyes, and I have family who work in TV and film; knowing that a lot of writers and producers steal, giving Star Trek Descovery as an example. The modeling that's been done is mostly on the main characters and I want their apearance to be released together.

Fantastic work, I'm really looking forward to it. I think many will like it especially if you can -literally- fill the void in the game - i.e. space station landing area populated with personnel, entering the ship and walking to the cockpit, scenes on the Anaconda's side corridor... :)

Fantastic work, I'm really looking forward to it. I think many will like it especially if you can -literally- fill the void in the game - i.e. space station landing area populated with personnel, entering the ship and walking to the cockpit, scenes on the Anaconda's side corridor... :)

I am filling my head with ideas and working out the layouts, I will work on the Vulture first, the Anaconda second, etc (in order of appearance). For example, I thought the curved window on the Anaconda's nose could be an Observation Deck/Lounge Area, with a bar and magnetic seats. The windows on the center sides could be the cabins, with a central corridor with a hotel feel, if fitted. My main worry with this is that, when spacelegs is implemented, I will totally be off the mark. If this interests you, I can upload floorplans when created before the modeling starts.

I am filling my head with ideas and working out the layouts, I will work on the Vulture first, the Anaconda second, etc (in order of appearance). For example, I thought the curved window on the Anaconda's nose could be an Observation Deck/Lounge Area, with a bar and magnetic seats. The windows on the center sides could be the cabins, with a central corridor with a hotel feel, if fitted. My main worry with this is that, when spacelegs is implemented, I will totally be off the mark. If this interests you, I can upload floorplans when created before the modeling starts.

If you have VR, try the Anaconda in VR Chat, it allows you to go the observation deck and get a sense of scale.
Otherwise sure, it would be great to see the layout!

if space legs ever happens, i dont think it really matters if it differs from the game in these details. The game makes design decisions for "gameplay reasons" ...books and shows would make them on lore reasons. I'd appreciate a believable representation that makes sense within the world building than caring about what the game gives us.

if space legs ever happens, i dont think it really matters if it differs from the game in these details. The game makes design decisions for "gameplay reasons" ...books and shows would make them on lore reasons. I'd appreciate a believable representation that makes sense within the world building than caring about what the game gives us.

100% this. Besides theres always the option to write in that the conda observation deck had been custom fitted as a thankyou for a previous favour for a faulcon delacy exec or something 😊

I will do my best, and I'll make sure it makes sense. I will put my CAD Engineer hat on, to make the interior functional and believable. If you're not worried about spacelegs, I'm not.

Commanders O7,

I Emailed Frontier yesterday about a side-project, a Series of four graphic novels containing the back story of two of the main characters. I hope to be able to self-publish these novels to help fund this project.

Hope everyone is holding up okay during these stressful and uncertain times

I will keep you posted, wish me luck!

Hi Commanders,

Just an update, Frontier replied to my emails with a polite 'not at this time, but maybe in the future'. I have asked if I can fund this project with a Kickstarter or Patreon, I will keep you posted.

Stay strong, stay safe Commander! O7

1 year later (relative to OP)...

How's it coming?
Also yeah, I'd be surprised for ANY kind of official endorsement, yet I can also be thankful for being acknowledged by a human at Frontier.
Blender is certainly mind-boggling to me, so I also wanted to show my appreciation for 3D artists. The "best" I can do was in 3dPaint (Seriously, one of my FAQs is "Did you make that in PAINT" and now I can say "Well, TECHNICALLY, yes"), now stock on all Windows computers. I wanted to make a game with graphics akin to Nintendo 64, for a series NOT related to Elite or Elite Dangerous...and, well, this is what I got.

Attachments

• 3D Violet.png
    3D Violet.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
1 year later (relative to OP)...

How's it coming?
Also yeah, I'd be surprised for ANY kind of official endorsement, yet I can also be thankful for being acknowledged by a human at Frontier.
Blender is certainly mind-boggling to me, so I also wanted to show my appreciation for 3D artists. The "best" I can do was in 3dPaint (Seriously, one of my FAQs is "Did you make that in PAINT" and now I can say "Well, TECHNICALLY, yes"), now stock on all Windows computers. I wanted to make a game with graphics akin to Nintendo 64, for a series NOT related to Elite or Elite Dangerous...and, well, this is what I got.

Slow at the moment, getting more ram soon which will help my hard-drive a lot.

I started 3d with AutoCAD, switched to Blender, and never looked back. I learned from a combination of Youtube, Udemy.com, and forums. Blender 2.8 is a lot more user friendly and I'm a firm believer in that anyone can learn anything.

Just to Explain, When working with complex scenes, my Ram gets used up and posts/sends the excess to my hard-drive; making it spike to 100%.

Fly safe commanders O7

Top Bottom