Elite Developers, fix the god damn economy.

I want to enjoy playing this game the way I want to but I can't, the fun things are not fun to do because despite all the hours you put into doing them you can make 100x the credits mining painite.

Let me put this into perspective for you:

I spent all day doing delivery missions and earned give or take 30m credits. I spent 1 hour at a Painite hot-spot and flew away with 120m worth of cargo from collecting just 150 Painite. (It sold for around 780k each).

Things that should be fun in this game simply are not, I'm now forced to default my play style as a miner because every other method of earning credits pays abysmally low in comparison. Not to mention that expensive T10 I just purchased feels undervalued since it was so easy to max out it's fittings.

I know ships are expensive, as are the modules that compliment them, but this is not realistic one bit and not how an economy should function. This game feels like everything that's very easy pays really well and anything that has some difficulty pays abysmally low.

Does anyone at frontier think these updates through? If everything paid similarly give or take some fluctuations other activities would actually be fun and worthwhile.

If I had my way, everything would pay rubbish and it would take CMDRs at least six months to go from Sidewinder to Anaconda. You know, like the good 'ol days :D

Seriously, ED has become Creative Mode in NMS - you can have whatever you want without any challenge, and that kills the "game" part of the game, unless you "self-regulate" and avoid all money-making ventures (which is doable, FYI).

Hopefully you understand that the tone of your subject line is not conducive to good dialogue with the developers?

I have to disagree regarding your point about being forced to do anything. I don't enjoy mining (generally) and so have earned most of my credits in the game through trading and (just incidentally) combat.

I tried void opal mining, earned about 200M doing it...and haven't done it again since. I just didn't enjoy it as much as other game activities. I have been painite mining a few times, like that more than core cracking...but again, not as much as trading and combat, so I don't do it often.

I have 4.5 billion in assets after playing for about 3 months....and never once did I feel forced to go mining and very little of that income came from any form of mining.

If you feel "forced" just because mining is a little faster at earning credits I suggest you might want to consider the mindset with which you approach the game. There is no path through the game but the one you choose so there's no reason to feel compelled to do anything. It's all about what you choose to make of it.

Regarding your 30 million in a day income. Work the same area for a day or two to get higher rep with factions giving trade missions....I make that much in less than an hour once I've been working out of a station for a day or 2. If you like trading you might also like passenger missions and the Robigo mines tourist runs gets you over 100 milliion an hour as well once you spend a few hours to get the reputation up.

So, the only spec you have for development is; "make the things that are more fun, more profitable", right?
I'd rather they make things less fun less profitable. Or better yet, make all profitable things less profitable, unless it's something like the ED version of killing Bin Laden - that should be profitable (and bloody hard).

It would be really cool if they had economy experts redo ED's economy like they had astronomy experts do the Stellar Forge. As I said in another thread, fuel and repairs and modules and supplies (and ship berthing) in Shinrarta should be through the roof, just like cost-of-living in places like San Fransisco, with a bunch of homeless NPCs living in their Adders just outside of Jameson Memorial.

Hopefully you understand that the tone of your subject line is not conducive to good dialogue with the developers?

I have to disagree regarding your point about being forced to do anything. I don't enjoy mining (generally) and so have earned most of my credits in the game through trading and (just incidentally) combat.

I tried void opal mining, earned about 200M doing it...and haven't done it again since. I just didn't enjoy it as much as other game activities. I have been painite mining a few times, like that more than core cracking...but again, not as much as trading and combat, so I don't do it often.

I have 4.5 billion in assets after playing for about 3 months....and never once did I feel forced to go mining and very little of that income came from any form of mining.

If you feel "forced" just because mining is a little faster at earning credits I suggest you might want to consider the mindset with which you approach the game. There is no path through the game but the one you choose so there's no reason to feel compelled to do anything. It's all about what you choose to make of it.

Regarding your 30 million in a day income. Work the same area for a day or two to get higher rep with factions giving trade missions....I make that much in less than an hour once I've been working out of a station for a day or 2. If you like trading you might also like passenger missions and the Robigo mines tourist runs gets you over 100 milliion an hour as well once you spend a few hours to get the reputation up.

Don't get me wrong no one is putting a gun to my head and telling me to go and mine painite or opals, but when I need credits it's hard to justify spending my time doing anything else, so they might as well be handing me a loaded gun.

The problem with your suggestion is that missions are inconsistent, sometimes you can earn a little and sometimes you can earn a lot whereas mining is guaranteed.

Who wants to work harder, for less reward? No one does and quite frankly if you do your an idiot.

But core mining is fun. I really enjoy the mechanics of core mining, it pays super well, but requires you to do the work, and the down time between core rocks, makes finding a valuable core even more rewarding. Plus you then have to survive the trip to sell the ores at the best station.

Nerfing it would make it significantly less fun, because the finding a core wouldn't feel like striking gold, and without that, the down time between cores would feel worse.

Buffing other activities would be good though. Some activities, like combat, pay peanuts, and don't scale beyond medium ships, despite the risks being significantly higher than mining.

Said this many times before, but anyway: money in this game is just a means to an end, something that allows you to buy the ship(s) you need to play the game how you want.

Regardless of whether that's the best way to run the game, it's the direction FD have deliberately taken and it isn't going to change.

But core mining is fun. I really enjoy the mechanics of core mining, it pays super well, but requires you to do the work, and the down time between core rocks, makes finding a valuable core even more rewarding. Plus you then have to survive the trip to sell the ores at the best station.

Nerfing it would make it significantly less fun, because the finding a core wouldn't feel like striking gold, and without that, the down time between cores would feel worse.

Buffing other activities would be good though. Some activities, like combat, pay peanuts, and don't scale beyond medium ships, despite the risks being significantly higher than mining.

There's nothing more satisfying than watching an asteroid explode, I can attest to that.

A solution is to continue the mining economy past the first sale. I would think there must be secondary markets which would require further transport. Perhaps void opals and other minerals and metald are ingredients in some other processes.

Who wants to work harder, for less reward? No one does and quite frankly if you do your an idiot.

Firstly, you are again not conversing in a way that is conducive to good dialogue.

Secondly...the day I consider anything I'm doing in the game as "working" is the day I stop playing. It's a game, the point is to have fun....if I feel like I'm working I wouldn't be playing it, much less "working harder"....

Really think you need to take a long hard look at your own mindset and attitude toward both the game and other people.

If you want the max money you'll almost always be doing some activity you'd rather not be doing. That's true for IRL as well for most people.

I can rake in billions doing mining but I will only mine for a couple hours then resume whatever else I was looking into. Right now I am starting my pirating career (Thanks Isinona for the inspiration). I spent all day to make about 1.5m. I didn't care. Just watching that T7 drop all that cargo was my reward. Then being wanted, doing high speed docking and selling cargo at a station where the authorities would have killed me had they known, and leaving "clean" basically is the reward. I don't even need to do big takes, just piddle around with whatever has cargo. Yesterday I found a ship with 160 crop harvesters. They didn't pay well and I couldn't get all of them even with 6 limpets, but it was fun.

The point of high earning tasks, to me, is to enable game play I enjoy more without focusing on money. It's a hard transition to make, but try it once you have a bankroll. You can always go back to min/max play.

Top Bottom