Elite Expedition: The Search for Color! (sequel to: The Wrath of Beige)

What have I done....
In their defense, it's been many interesting shades of beige? :p

I think that perhaps you've accumulated a wealth of deep space madness, having been exploring so thoroughly and for so long (as your signature is evidence of).

If the stars (and writing your name across them) seems to have lost its allure, then take a break - come back to the human bubble and find some adventure, or even just a pretty luxury station to call home awhile during a CG or two, or...dare I say it...spice things up with another game, something to help avoid you burning yourself out.

The stars - and Elite, for that matter - will always be waiting for you to return when you're ready.

So I've not updated this thread in awhile, truthfully I took a break from the game and exploration for a bit out of despair, but lately I've been poking here and there on some passenger missions in my Dolphin. While running tourists around I've still been investigating every HMC and MR I come across, hoping to find that special flower of color and beauty.

Here is the total so far:

Running Beige Counter:

• Number of completely beige High Metal Content planets = 231
  • Number of non-100% beige High Metal Content planets = 1
  • Number of completely beige Metal Rich planets = 22
  • Number of non-100% beige Metal Rich planets = 3
So far I've only found one HMC that had any color to it, this one:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/327757-Elite-Expedition-The-Search-for-Color!-(sequel-to-The-Wrath-of-Beige)?p=5158841&viewfull=1#post5158841

I think it's unlikely I'll find anything resembling HMC's like we used to have pre 2.2, but I intend to keep looking just the same. Hopefully Frontier updates the stellar forge in 2.4 to correct the material colors that Michael said they would, because this galaxy is just depressing the way it is right now!

OH and here is the latest beige issue thread on the forums, 25 pages in two days, and counting:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/362836-Do-we-have-a-ETA-on-the-cure-for-the-beige-plague

beige
bāZH/
noun

1. a pale sandy yellowish-brown color.

I've always thought these looked a bit more orange than yellow-brown myself.
But then, I do see things other people do not.

And yes, that does include dead people.

But at least we know what went wrong.. materials based on Earth...

beige
bāZH/
noun

1. a pale sandy yellowish-brown color.

I've always thought these looked a bit more orange than yellow-brown myself.
But then, I do see things other people do not.

And yes, that does include dead people.

But at least we know what went wrong.. materials based on Earth...
Do you use gemfx/reshade or something? I do, and one of the side-effects is that it brings out a fair bit of color out. Its a bit like polishing a turd colour-wise but it isnt nearly as bland as many screenies I see, colours are quite vibrant. :D

Here is a very interesting Frontier livestream on planet generation (posted back on Oct 2015, before Horizons came out) that I came across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Et5Ivi_yIg

Elite used to do a pretty great job with planet generation but since 2.2 the Stellar Forge took a turn for the worst, and ironically the pre Horizons 2.0 video above does a great job of demonstrating that. Let's look at some screengrabs from said development video:

Here is how ice planets used to look:

You won't find any ice planets looking like that today in Elite. Notice the color gradients, there aren't just three colors on the planet but a wide range of colors. Also notice the very defined mountain ranges due to tectonic plate separation, and the clear definition between ice plains and crevasses. Ice planets in Stellar Forge 2.3 do not exhibit any of this; mountain ranges are reduced to scattered small peaks, crevasses are all smoothed over and far less defined, and colors are very one or the other, little to no gradients between the colors let alone color variety.

On the topic of tectonic plates, the game used to do a much better job than it does today. Here is a pre-2.2 pic from the video:

You can clearly see the tectonic plate separations going between plains and mountain ranges. Since the terrain perlin noise normalization of 2.2 this doesn't happen anymore, mountains now spawn as scattered peaks with very low height ranges, and planets are mostly all flat today. Tectonic lines are all but nonexistant since 2.2.

Now look at this planetoid:

Just look at all the colors on it's surface! And notice the terrain variations! You will not find a planet like this in the game today, they simply don't exist anymore. I've spent hundreds of hours since 2.2 searching many hundreds of planets for anything looking like what was possible pre 2.2 and I've found nothing.

Speaking of colors, here is a planet from the dev video showing great surface color variety:

I remember planets like these in the game, sadly they just don't exist anymore since 2.2. Rocky ice worlds can still come close, but not quite.

I hope that when Frontier does get around to fixing the beige problem they also restore the great potential which the Stellar Forge had in the past, because it's currently just a fragment of what is used to be, and I really miss interesting planets to land on. :(

Top Bottom