Game Discussions Elite FFE - ship exploding on galaxy map?

Hi there everyone – can anyone help with this?

I downloaded FFE – a game I’ve loved with a passion in the past and with the graphical updates I wanted to explore again.

I have the game running, all going well, graphics looking brilliant and the sound fantastic with FFED3D - I DO have the game I bought so not breaking any laws here.

I take the wiccan race from Old Curie, I take off, press the galaxy map button and BOOM - ship explodes.

I looked around, someone said it had something to do with graphics so I turned it down in the game all the way, now when I press the galaxy map button (F3), it only SEVERLY damages the ship…

This isn’t just a one -off, it appears to happen all the time.

Does anyone know of a fix?

Hi there everyone – can anyone help with this?

I downloaded FFE – a game I’ve loved with a passion in the past and with the graphical updates I wanted to explore again.

I have the game running, all going well, graphics looking brilliant and the sound fantastic with FFED3D - I DO have the game I bought so not breaking any laws here.

I take the wiccan race from Old Curie, I take off, press the galaxy map button and BOOM - ship explodes.

I looked around, someone said it had something to do with graphics so I turned it down in the game all the way, now when I press the galaxy map button (F3), it only SEVERLY damages the ship…

This isn’t just a one -off, it appears to happen all the time.

Does anyone know of a fix?
That’s a strange one - I don’t experience that with FFED3D; I’ve just started it up, flew over to Old Curie, took the Race mission, taken off and checked the GalMap without issue.

Does your ship explode when pressing the GalMap shortcut (f3) or when clicking the icon?

And just to check - you are requesting take-off permission? 😁

I can verify I seek clearance before takeoff.

I tried both clicking the button and pressing F3, both blow up my ship.

For clarity, I can press the icon or press F3 before takeoff and I dont blow up.

I can verify I seek clearance before takeoff.

I tried both clicking the button and pressing F3, both blow up my ship.

For clarity, I can press the icon or press F3 before takeoff and I dont blow up.
Right - that rules out a mismatch between icon position and screen resolution (and Station Police 😁).

When I checked before I made sure I was in flight before opening the GalMap, and I had no problem.

The only thing I can think of is the StarDreamer - LShift + f3 is the shortcut - is somehow interfering but that wouldn’t explain clicking the icon 🤔

Which version of FFED3D are you using? AndyJ’s version is the most up-to-date and bug free, though I tried the base FFED3D.exe when I was testing today.

Right - that rules out a mismatch between icon position and screen resolution (and Station Police 😁).

When I checked before I made sure I was in flight before opening the GalMap, and I had no problem.

The only thing I can think of is the StarDreamer - LShift + f3 is the shortcut - is somehow interfering but that wouldn’t explain clicking the icon 🤔

Which version of FFED3D are you using? AndyJ’s version is the most up-to-date and bug free, though I tried the base FFED3D.exe when I was testing today.
I'm using FFED3D-beta3-Ittiz, I loaded in AndyJ on top of it and it did the blow up thing so I thought I'd try just FFED3D-beta3-Ittiz by itself.

Both are boom

I'm using FFED3D-beta3-Ittiz, I loaded in AndyJ on top of it and it did the blow up thing so I thought I'd try just FFED3D-beta3-Ittiz by itself.

Both are boom
Ah, I think that’s the version @AndyJ recommends for installing his mod over - sorry I can’t help then, beyond suggesting looking through the config file to see if there’s anything obvious there, like a rogue joystick input or something.

AndyJ does frequent these forums and is a very helpful person, so he might be able to suggest something.

Does the GalMap boom button destroy you when taking off from Old Blackelk?

well, this is fun...

I decided that if instead I set a hyperspace location BEFORE I joined the wicca race, then took off wihtout pressing F3 and waited until I was high enough to just hyperspace...

And it worked...

I dont seem to have any other issues pressing F3 or the icon... for now that is...

well, this is fun...

I decided that if instead I set a hyperspace location BEFORE I joined the wicca race, then took off wihtout pressing F3 and waited until I was high enough to just hyperspace...

And it worked...

I dont seem to have any other issues pressing F3 or the icon... for now that is...
Sounds like the intermittent bug I get docking at “cylinder” type stations - sometimes I explode on invisible geometry just before reaching the docking slot 🤷‍♂️ 😅

Glad you’ve managed to bypass the snag - good luck on your adventures!

Hi @Derfling - and welcome to the Forum!

That sounds very much like a bug that I'd introduced into v1.11 of my build, there was a change made to boost FPS when drawing planets - but due to an oversight, it didn't play nicely with the planetary/system screens and the player's ship would explode just as you've described.
If your issue is because of this bug, then it was fixed in v1.13b2. Feel free to hop over to The FFED3DAJ Thread and you'll find a link for the latest beta in the first post - you can install it over v1.10 or later. We'll have to continue any further discussion over there though, as although we're in an "off topic" part of the forum, this sub-forum is only meant for discussing the official releases of Frontier's games.

Hope this helps & safe travels Commander!
AndyJ

Last edited:
Personally I would have suggested checking the galactic map while still docked - or by making sure you're nowhere near anything you can crash into.

Top Bottom