Release Elite G19s Companion app (with simulated space traffic control)

I really like this companion app. And after not playing for a while updated the app. But now when I'm playing a radio station the space traffic gives a weird silent right before playing.

So I'm just listening to a radio, and when the voice from space traffic starts talking the music stops for like half a second right before the space traffic message starts playing.

MagicMau...Your app has finally made me make the leap to buy a Hue Bridge and two Hue Play Light Bars to enhance my gaming experience. They had a deal finally that gave you the bridge free at Best Buy if you bought the two pack of lights or two LED strips.

Thanks. I have it installed now (Logitech software). So, I just have to install the one msi file, right?
Yup!

Hey folks. Distant Radio moved to different servers and plugin in Companion app doesn't work currently. I figure it was not reported yet as last post here is from before the migration happened. Cheers :)

Oh, why did they do that... :) I'll push out an update over the weekend, in the meantime, you can manually edit the C:\Users\MajorIssue\AppData\Roaming\EliteG19s\options.json file to change the url manually.

I really like this companion app. And after not playing for a while updated the app. But now when I'm playing a radio station the space traffic gives a weird silent right before playing.
So I'm just listening to a radio, and when the voice from space traffic starts talking the music stops for like half a second right before the space traffic message starts playing.

There's an option that you can disable: Options > Audio Options > Pause Audio On > and make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Does that change anything? Or maybe for some reason the traffic control's quindar tones do not work for you?

MagicMau...Your app has finally made me make the leap to buy a Hue Bridge and two Hue Play Light Bars to enhance my gaming experience. They had a deal finally that gave you the bridge free at Best Buy if you bought the two pack of lights or two LED strips.

That sounds like a really good deal! They don't do many deals with them here unfortunately.
What do you think of them? Let me know if you have any issues or ideas for improvement for the Hue! I must admit, it's been a little while since I've used them in combination with the app, but everything should still work :)

MagicMau,
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have not been able to get my Hue Play Lights to perform with the app. Can you verify yours is still working? Otherwise I have no idea what I am doing wrong. It doesn't seem to want to connect with the bridge. When I check the options file it seems set up correctly, but they never react. ANy help or ideas would be great.

MagicMau,
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have not been able to get my Hue Play Lights to perform with the app. Can you verify yours is still working? Otherwise I have no idea what I am doing wrong. It doesn't seem to want to connect with the bridge. When I check the options file it seems set up correctly, but they never react. ANy help or ideas would be great.

Hi Dahill, first things first: have you been able to create an entertainment group in the Hue app for those lights? That's a very important first step. You can do so in the settings of the Hue app on your tablet or phone.
Second, you might need to help G19s to find your Hue bridge on the network. I'm just copying a bit what I've written earlier below (find it here)

The app now also supports Philips Hue. For this to work you will first need to create an entertainment zone. You can do this in the Hue app, for instance on your mobile phone or tablet.

After that, you can enable Philips Hue support in the app, by checking the Enabled option in the options screen for Hue.

The app will then search for a Hue bridge. If it can find one it will try to connect. Sometimes you will need to set the Hue bridge IP address manually in the options file (see here), because the app can't find the bridge.

When the app has found a bridge, the first time it will ask you to push the Link button within the next 60 seconds. If you do, the app and the bridge will exchange an AppKey and EntertainmentKey. These are stored in the options file and the connection has been successfully established.

The app uses Hue to set overall colors (either by sampling the colors on screen, or by using an in-theme color), and can be used when playing light effects. For example, a pulsing red light is shown when the game finds that you are in danger (near a star, under attack).

Hope these tips help. If it doesn't and you have Discord, please hop on there (https://discord.gg/Ew7Baq5), there's a few other players who are successfully using the Hue functionality. I'm sure with our combined efforts we are able to get it up and running for you!

MagicMau. I think I got it (Hue) working, but I am not sure if it is working as it should. I am getting a standard color of a dull white that is slightly shifting with other colors within game. I was honestly thinking it would be an extension of the ARX effects and look similar. Am I still doing something wrong? I don't even know "how" it is supposed to look. Lol.

MagicMau. I think I got it (Hue) working, but I am not sure if it is working as it should. I am getting a standard color of a dull white that is slightly shifting with other colors within game. I was honestly thinking it would be an extension of the ARX effects and look similar. Am I still doing something wrong? I don't even know "how" it is supposed to look. Lol.

Hi Dahill, I've added a response to your question in Discord already. It seems the updates are not coming in as fast as they should on your Hue lights. This may be due to a bug in my app, but can also occur if the bulbs have a less than optimal connection with their Hue bridge (remember Hue lights communicate directly with each other, not through your wifi network).

The effect you're describing sounds like the Ambilight feature, where the app samples average colors on screen and then uses Hue to create an ambient color based on that. Out of game that's often a dull white or gray I've found :) You can disable the Ambilight option in the settings for Hue in the app.

The light effects are mostly shown during FSD jumps or when you're in danger. I've been quite conservative in adding more effects as they tend to light up the whole room, but I'm open to any and all suggestions!

3.3.4 released today!
I fixed a couple bugs, Distant Radio's url has been updated, Galnet RSS feeds have been fixed and some minor under-the-hood updates have been made.
Hope it works flawlessly for everyone. If it doesn't, just let me know. And if you have suggestions for new features, just let me know.
Next up are still a redesign of the Arx app AND I'm trying to get the app to work natively in VR, but the last few months I haven't as much time to work on the app as I'd like, so things are a bit slower than I'd like. So in the meantime I will probably release a couple minor releases, just like the one today.

I was wondering if you had any plan to introduce the landing pad integration into the app. EDMC has a landing pad plugin but I just like using yours more. Thanks for all your work on this so far. o7

Last edited:
Is there a way to turn off the text scrolling in the app window? I see an option to disable it for arx but it doesn't seem to affect the desktop window. Asking because the scroll is a little laggy in VR (using Oculus Dash).

Is there a way to turn off the text scrolling in the app window? I see an option to disable it for arx but it doesn't seem to affect the desktop window. Asking because the scroll is a little laggy in VR (using Oculus Dash).

That's currently not possible I'm afraid, I'll see if I can add something like that in the future. In the meantime I can only recommend to switch to the orrery view :) Which doesn't really help you I'm afraid!

I'm away from my PC and haven't used the app in a while, does the TTS read out the random NPC comms that come through (Remember, this liner is in the top 1% of all liners out there), or does it just do random radio chatter?

I'm away from my PC and haven't used the app in a while, does the TTS read out the random NPC comms that come through (Remember, this liner is in the top 1% of all liners out there), or does it just do random radio chatter?

It can do all of them actually. If you press TAB to open the menu (or right click the screen, or press MENU on a Logitech G19/G15 keyboard), go to Options and then Voice Options. There are a couple checkboxes to specify if the TTS will also read out NPC or CMDR speech. You can also specify a default language for CMDRs. So if you usually play in a Spanish group, you can set the TTS to default to Spanish for those lines.

Under Options > Space Traffic Options you can change the options for the radio chatter, or disable it completely.

@MagicMau

Hi, i've updated the G19 companion app (and by the way thank you so much for this app, it's a wonderful app to have it on all the time, i use it with my logitech g13 and is awesome!) and now with this version i get this error attached on the image and please see the log file also attached, is there something i can do to fix it?

Attachments

• Elite G19s error.png
    Elite G19s error.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 220
  • log.txt
    752 bytes · Views: 177
@MagicMau

Hi, i've updated the G19 companion app (and by the way thank you so much for this app, it's a wonderful app to have it on all the time, i use it with my logitech g13 and is awesome!) and now with this version i get this error attached on the image and please see the log file also attached, is there something i can do to fix it?

Hi Wylara, this kind of error sometimes occurs when there are multiple versions of the app around. Best way to resolve this is to uninstall the app, remove any other versions that may be lying around (maybe you installed it on a different drive in the past?) and then reinstall the app. Let me know how it goes!

Hi Wylara, this kind of error sometimes occurs when there are multiple versions of the app around. Best way to resolve this is to uninstall the app, remove any other versions that may be lying around (maybe you installed it on a different drive in the past?) and then reinstall the app. Let me know how it goes!

I've uninstalled and cleared the whole lot of files left on the folders, did a clean install and it worked fine :) Thanks for your help!

Good evening! I want to get back playing elite after a long break and this app G19 make the game 10000x more immersive! Okay so after opening my g19 it prompted me for an update! Sadly it just crashes while the progress bar is filling saying cannot remove the old installation! I've tried uninstalling it via windows abut same! It states theres a .msi missing from the temp folder (very weird) tried ccleaner same thing. So ya ima stuck cant install a new version cant remove the one i got and it just don't work! Any ideas? Big thanks and hope for some help cause elite ain't the same without this great app!

It can do all of them actually. If you press TAB to open the menu (or right click the screen, or press MENU on a Logitech G19/G15 keyboard), go to Options and then Voice Options. There are a couple checkboxes to specify if the TTS will also read out NPC or CMDR speech. You can also specify a default language for CMDRs. So if you usually play in a Spanish group, you can set the TTS to default to Spanish for those lines.

Under Options > Space Traffic Options you can change the options for the radio chatter, or disable it completely.
Is there an editable script for the radio chatter so we can add our own lines or is this something that might be easily added in a future version?

Top Bottom