Release Elite G19s Companion app (with simulated space traffic control)

1) The G13 "sees" it in the app list but it isn't on the G13 LCD to execute. This may just be a matter of not understanding completely how it works. Maybe it starts up once elite actually starts. The G13 config software does say it is available, just doesn't show on the g13 app list on the device. So I start it manually every time.

I think with the list of apps you mean the default list of apps that is available on the G13 display? Hm, to be honest, never thought of that as I usually delete all the default applets to save up some resources on my PC. But it makes sense. Let's see if that's possible, but I believe these apps are always running in memory and that might be a bit too much for my app.
Starting the app separately (for instance by double clicking the desktop shortcut) is the recommended way for now.

2) Today there was an update. I updated. It constantly told me there was an update after install until I finally just said no, don't install the just installed update.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for letting me know, I made a typo on the server causing the app to think there's an update while there is none. Should be fixed now!

I think with the list of apps you mean the default list of apps that is available on the G13 display? Hm, to be honest, never thought of that as I usually delete all the default applets to save up some resources on my PC. But it makes sense. Let's see if that's possible, but I believe these apps are always running in memory and that might be a bit too much for my app.
Starting the app separately (for instance by double clicking the desktop shortcut) is the recommended way for now.
Yes, the default list. I only have the app lister and companion app enabled anyway. So this is apparently working as intended. Which is ok.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for letting me know, I made a typo on the server causing the app to think there's an update while there is none. Should be fixed now!
Cool, thanks.

Firstly a big thanks for creating and maintaining your app - I use it all the time with my G13. If there's a way to support your efforts by donating to server costs I think it's time you reminded us.

Here's my feature request: Spotify situational playlists. ie. trigger a specific Spotify playlist instead of EDs default music. I know the commander journal supports it as I toyed with the idea of developing something myself. I envisioned creating a set of specially named playlists in Spotify, eg. 'ED: Exploration' which is then triggered whenever a Music log entry is created:
{"timestamp":"2018-10-07T22:59:42Z","event":"Music","MusicTrack":"Exploration"}

Even though I really like Erasmus Talbot's score I've been playing so long I had to turn it off after it became too repetitive.

Firstly a big thanks for creating and maintaining your app - I use it all the time with my G13. If there's a way to support your efforts by donating to server costs I think it's time you reminded us.

Here's my feature request: Spotify situational playlists. ie. trigger a specific Spotify playlist instead of EDs default music. I know the commander journal supports it as I toyed with the idea of developing something myself. I envisioned creating a set of specially named playlists in Spotify, eg. 'ED: Exploration' which is then triggered whenever a Music log entry is created:
{"timestamp":"2018-10-07T22:59:42Z","event":"Music","MusicTrack":"Exploration"}

Even though I really like Erasmus Talbot's score I've been playing so long I had to turn it off after it became too repetitive.

I created a VoiceAttack profile with mood music events. That events use spotify or YouTube playlist of elite g19s companion.

Is in spanish but If you want know something more, you can visit my github:

I'm planning to traduce it to English. But I need more time (and English lvl) for this.

I created a VoiceAttack profile with mood music events. That events use spotify or YouTube playlist of elite g19s companion.

Thanks Hoksilato I had a quick look through your repos and it looks interesting. I don't use VA or read Spanish though. I assume I'd need VA to monitor the logs and trigger the playlist?

Yes, when ED log shows a music entry, EDDI Software create an event. Voiceattack look this event with eddi plugin and then use g19s companion plugin for play a song.

If magicmau implement this on their app, will be amazing. The result is awesome too with my VA profile. I have different playlist for space, combat, thargoid and guardian zones, and for base dock. It's really cool play iron maiden when u start a combat :p

Last edited:
New version 3.5 released with:
  • Scripting support! You can now use Lua scripts to react to game events and control the app. See the manual for a better explanation and some examples.This should enable @Bill and @Hoksilato to create customized playlists. It's just a first release by someone who is rather unfamiliar with Lua scripting (that's me), so any suggestions, comments etc are more than welcome!
  • Console (Xbox + Playstation) support! You can now use the app in combination with your Xbox or Playstation accounts! It uses a rather crude method to determine your current location, so it's not always very accurate, but from testing it myself it works pretty well. Access this by switching profiles in Options, or if you install for the first time, ensure that you enable the option to connect to Frontier's API and log in with your console account.
  • And of course some bugfixes, most notably having to do with Distant Radio which should now be more stable in the app.

Last edited:
easiest method: Options > Miscellaneous > Enable Lua Scripting
hard-core method: open %appdata%\eliteg19s\options.json and change the value for the line starting with "IsScriptingEnabled" to true
:)

oh - and you might need to restart the app to allow Lua to initialize properly.

Hey I've just tried the engineers script example but it doesnt seem to work. I can get a message to fire when it reads the engineer progress event but as soon as I start adding eventargs (like engineer) it stops working.

Hey I've just tried the engineers script example but it doesnt seem to work. I can get a message to fire when it reads the engineer progress event but as soon as I start adding eventargs (like engineer) it stops working.

Found the problem on your script example you specify 4 arguments against engineers but if you've only been invited the journal only passes 3 arguments across Engineer, EngineerID and Progress so when it looks for the 4th or for the Rank it trips up

Thanks. I'm not at my PC but I should have thought to look if there was already a setting.

Ha, no worries. The downside of trying to make everything optional is that there are a lot of options to go through. So I'm not surprised you haven't memorized them all :)

You found it already, that's great! Good catch though, and I'm sure there may be more of those gotchas when creating these scripts. Thanks for letting me know!

If anyone's interested here's a 2 line script that plays custom music according to the game's music track (which you can mute). It needs to be called Journal-Music.lua and saved in %AppData%\EliteG19s\Scripts.

Code:
local track = eventArgs.MusicTrack;
g19s:ListenToMusicFolder("C:\\Music\\" .. track);

This presumes you've created appropriately named folders in your C:\Music folder.

If you prefer Spotify or .m3u playlists, the 2nd line can be replaced with either of the following. Again this expects appropriately named playlists (I haven't tested these methods):

Code:
g19s:ListenToSpotifyPlaylist(track);
g19s:ListenToPlaylist("C:\\Music\\" .. track .. ".m3u");

...I forgot the list of playlist/folder names. These are from Frontier's Journal docs but I've seen many undocumented ones while testing:

CapitalShip
Combat_Dogfight
Combat_SRV
Combat_Unknown
CombatLargeDogFight
CQC
CQCMenu
DestinationFromHyperspace
DestinationFromSupercruise
DockingComputer
Exploration
GalacticPowers
GalaxyMap
MainMenu
NoTrack
Starport
Supercruise
SystemMap
Unknown_Encounter
Unknown_Exploration
Unknown_Settlement

I'd be interested if anyone knows of a longer list.

I like this app a lot. One of the functions I really enjoy is text2speech.
But...
Would it be possible to add an option to mute certain channels? Like squadron, f.ex.?
As much as I find speech2text fun and usefull, sometimes I just don't want to hear that particular chatter.

Please?

Glad you like the app! And absolutely would a filter be possible. According to the documentation, the messages can be filtered as follows: wing, local, voicechat, friend, player, npc, squadron, starsystem. Voice does not need text to speech, and NPC voices are filtered separately. So I hope the other filters will help. Coming to you in a new version real soon!

Top Bottom