Elite Galaxy Online v2.0 - The Comms Link

Hey Commanders,

I've updated Elite Galaxy Online to 2.0 and it now includes a new feature called The Comms Link.

The Comms Link is a small desktop app which runs on PC and can detect when you scan an object out in the Galaxy.

As soon as a scan is detected, the data is automatically sent to Elite Galaxy Online and recorded at the site and will tell you if the object broke any records.

There's also a bunch of updates to the Elite Galaxy Online API making it easier to retrieve data from the site and which also allows other applications to record objects.

More details here - http://www.elitegalaxyonline.com/2017/05/12/elite-galaxy-online-v2-0/

And what other information from my PC is this "small desktop app" sending from my PC to god knows who and where?

Cheers CMIV

It releases all the information regarding your Bank of Zaonce credit balance. BEWARE!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Commanders,

I've updated Elite Galaxy Online to 2.0 and it now includes a new feature called The Comms Link.

The Comms Link is a small desktop app which runs on PC and can detect when you scan an object out in the Galaxy.

As soon as a scan is detected, the data is automatically sent to Elite Galaxy Online and recorded at the site and will tell you if the object broke any records.

There's also a bunch of updates to the Elite Galaxy Online API making it easier to retrieve data from the site and which also allows other applications to record objects.

More details here - http://www.elitegalaxyonline.com/2017/05/12/elite-galaxy-online-v2-0/

I look forward to checking it out! The Crimson has blossomed!

And what other information from my PC is this "small desktop app" sending from my PC to god knows who and where?

Cheers CMIV

Just simple things like bank account details and email contacts - harmless things like that :)

In all seriousness though it simply sends the scan event text from the player journal to www.elitegalaxyonline.com along with your Elite Galaxy Online username and Elite Galaxy Online API key as a POST request.

I'd happily share the source code if anyone is worried but be warned this is my first go at a desktop app and so the code is not pretty, not pretty at all.

It probably doesn't send my bank account details and then you would need a pass and a random reader to actually access it but... more to the game, will it send it directly to your site?

I mean, for example: I find an ELW, it gets on your website before I sell the data.
Someone notices this and hurries to the ELW I just found, then sells it at the nearest station and gets first discovery bonus.

That is an objection I have atm.

Other then that, good work

You could always fire up Wireshark (or any packet analyzer) and verify it yourself.

@ Traesha: That's always a valid concern with submitting any Elite data anywhere. If you are concerned about this, then you shouldn't use any programs which automatically upload your scans anywhere. You can always submit the scans after you've sold your data and gotten the tags, after all.

I like this idea. Pretty sure I suggested something similar in EDD a while back but in relation to universalcartographics.org because I'm too lazy and unable to keep relevant numbers in my head. So thanks o7

Is EGO completely independent of UC and therefore the record breakers also separate? Ie...can it be that a record breaker on EGO is smaller than that on UC?

- - - Updated - - -

It probably doesn't send my bank account details and then you would need a pass and a random reader to actually access it but... more to the game, will it send it directly to your site?

I mean, for example: I find an ELW, it gets on your website before I sell the data.
Someone notices this and hurries to the ELW I just found, then sells it at the nearest station and gets first discovery bonus.

Other then that, good work

Do people actually do that?
I can *maybe* understand it for someone who has yet to get their 1st ELW but even then, it takes a fair amount of effort.

I spent 18 months on my last trip, we integrated ED Discovery with EDDN about half way through that, so the details of what I was finding were appearing on eddb.io for the second half of my trip and not the first.

If there was any difference in how many tags I missed between the two halves for ELW (wasn't really paying enough attention to anything else to notice) there were more tagged by someone else before I got back in the first, EDDN free, half because that was where I over-lapped with the DWE route for 20-30kly.

It is a thing that could happen but it's pretty unlikely - if you'd still rather be safe than sorry then don't run stand alone apps like this one and if you use something multi-purpose like EDD then don't let it upload things as you go.

You mean someone will buckyball several (sometimes many) kylies just to get the first discovery for that single ELW? I can only admire such dedication :)

You mean someone will buckyball several (sometimes many) kylies just to get the first discovery for that single ELW? I can only admire such dedication :)

Yeah, that particular example is not going to happen, though, I can understand the concern. If you find a really desirable record, like a 1 kelvin wolf-rayet or the largest of something...
It really does look interesting. Would be nice to have an option to wait with uploads until docked, like similar EDSM tools usually have.

Well, I am not sure if it would happen but for example this heavy gas giant which I found on my last trip:

kJy630X.png

Broke 3 records, I scanned it because I thought, hey a gas giant with a gas giant moon that has a larger radius is odd. It turned out that the class IV had the highest mass, the highest density and the highest gravity, all in one planet.
That kind of planet would definately pay attention, even though a class IV gas giant is worth a little in credits.
Anyway I figure that when players in populated space will kill explorers for fun, why wouldn't there be people who run to a planet that has just been discovered and then hurry back to the nearest station to cash it in. Fortunately, as you can see, the gas giant is my discovery, just like the planetary nebula (I posted here) which wasn't discovered yet either. I can be more sure of the first discovery name tag *if* software on my computer doesn't upload information directly to a website.
I am pretty sure I missed a bunch of records along the way but thats the choice you make. With a peak of 11.078 players who play Elite Dangerous this month via steam, there can definately be like 20 who are just visiting the site and notice a new record / earth-like or whatever else gets uploaded and race to the location and then head back.

Edit: Sitting at Sag A in Open to kill explorers (I heard about this) is another thing that happened before. Why would someone spend so much time to do that?

Last edited:
I like this idea. Pretty sure I suggested something similar in EDD a while back but in relation to universalcartographics.org because I'm too lazy and unable to keep relevant numbers in my head. So thanks o7

Is EGO completely independent of UC and therefore the record breakers also separate? Ie...can it be that a record breaker on EGO is smaller than that on UC?

Yeah I'm afraid EGO is completely independent of UC so something that is a record breaker currently on EGO could well be beaten on UC. The records at EGO are all dynamically built based on the full set of data which is currently recorded at the site, I'm like you and can't remember all the numbers so wanted it to be automatic where you record an object and then it tells you if it's broken a record.

Oh this is cool. Very cool in fact. I got it all installed and set up and it's quite satisfying to see it actually working. An absolute pleasure to have something like this, thank you! :D

Is there any way to have this scan our logs from before this was installed and upload those?

Yeah, you'd use the ship log reader under 'New Discovery.' :)

Same directory you'd use to link to the Comms Link. In my case it was C:\Users\(Name)\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

Last edited:
Yeah, you'd use the ship log reader under 'New Discovery.' :)

Same directory you'd use to link to the Comms Link. In my case it was C:\Users\(Name)\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

So hit the Ship Log reader from the web site, and that will get the old, pre Comms Link discoveries, and then just keep using Comms Link?

Top Bottom