Elite Galaxy Online v2.0 - The Comms Link

Same question :) It would be a very convenient one single application for EDSM and EGO
That's ED Discovery ;)

If you have never used the EGO option in EDD before I HIGHLY recommend you use the ship log reader on the website since EDD is only sending one scan event at a time. Once you have uploaded all logs manually activate the option in EDD and you never have think about it again :)

Tips:

- Earliest date that will work is April 11th 2017

- There are .json files in the folder, they will be ignored automatically

- There are beta log files as well. I dont know if they are ingored automatically or not so I made sure I dont upload them

- Max 50 logs at a time

- You can change your displayed name in the preferences

If you have never used the EGO option in EDD before I HIGHLY recommend you use the ship log reader on the website since EDD is only sending one scan event at a time.

That or hit the 'Send Unsynced EGO Scans' option in the Admin menu just before you go to bed. If you've got a significant backlog it can take a while to plough through.

AFAIK EGO doesn't distinguish beta logs as different (it didn't when I was implementing the EDD side...)

Greetings, CMDRs! After updating 3.3, the site almost stopped working ... Someone knows what's the matter? What are the predictions?
Apparently, the server load has increased too much. A question to the highly respected author of this project, are there any solutions? Maybe financial support is required?

Last edited:
riker-no-go-on.gif

Out of disk space due to the huge volume of bodies?

HTTP site reports it is unable to connect to the database, and HTTPS site connection fails with a handshake failure.

Hey there,

Apologies to everyone for Elite Galaxy Online basically being broken at the minute. As discussed above, the volume of bodies (almost 7 million) and the rate at which they are coming in now via the comms link, EDDiscovery etc has pushed the site to its limits and it just cannot handle it.

I've resolved the disk space issue which caused the most recent outage but as soon as the site comes back up it only lasts 30 minutes or so before crumbling under the weight :(

I've been working for a long time now on v3.0 of the site which basically turned into a complete rebuild with a new backend, server architecture and completely rewritten front end and had hoped to have that completed before we reached this point but it's just not been possible with the time I have had.

The only option I think I have at this point whilst I push on with the development of v3.0 is to deactivate recordings from EDDiscovery, comms link etc.

This will at least still allow recordings to be made through the ship log reader.

Appreciate any thoughts on this approach.

Good to hear you're still working on it, I wasn't sure if it had been abandoned.

Is there merit in collaborating with EDSM or another site to add EGO's functionality (and additional data) to their database? With the explosion in body data since 3.3, I can see it being increasingly difficult for relatively niche sites to cope.

In the meantime, I think the most useful part of EGO is to be able to look up records to see if that massive icy ball I've just come across etc is really special or just big. To that end, I would support anything that made it easy to access the existing records even if at the expense of adding new finds.

Great to hear that the site isn't dead (as I thought it was).

If deactivating EDD and Comms Links helps to handle the heavy load I'll say: 'Better do it now.'

I'm really sorry that I can't code and help you with your work :/

The only option I think I have at this point whilst I push on with the development of v3.0 is to deactivate recordings from EDDiscovery, comms link etc.

If that's what it takes to get things stable.

If you let us know we can disable it in an EDD release so the app doesn't keep spamming the site with requests you're going to reject.

Do bear in mind, if you make it temporary, that when we turn it back on you're liable to get a metric <censored> ton of posts from EDD as everybody hits the 'Send Unsynced EGO Scans' option at once :)

Hey there,

Apologies to everyone for Elite Galaxy Online basically being broken at the minute. As discussed above, the volume of bodies (almost 7 million) and the rate at which they are coming in now via the comms link, EDDiscovery etc has pushed the site to its limits and it just cannot handle it.

I've resolved the disk space issue which caused the most recent outage but as soon as the site comes back up it only lasts 30 minutes or so before crumbling under the weight :(

I've been working for a long time now on v3.0 of the site which basically turned into a complete rebuild with a new backend, server architecture and completely rewritten front end and had hoped to have that completed before we reached this point but it's just not been possible with the time I have had.

This will at least still allow recordings to be made through the ship log reader.

Appreciate any thoughts on this approach.

Looks like you are doing the right thing.

We need to create a "backup Frontier" for all third-party dev's. I would pay money for it.

Good to hear you're still working on it, I wasn't sure if it had been abandoned.

Is there merit in collaborating with EDSM or another site to add EGO's functionality (and additional data) to their database? With the explosion in body data since 3.3, I can see it being increasingly difficult for relatively niche sites to cope.

In the meantime, I think the most useful part of EGO is to be able to look up records to see if that massive icy ball I've just come across etc is really special or just big. To that end, I would support anything that made it easy to access the existing records even if at the expense of adding new finds.

Not just the records part of EGO, but the search capabilities with so many different criteria to choose from. EGO is fantastic in so many ways. I would be thrilled to see EDSM move more towards EGO than how it has been inching closer to Inara and EDDB.

Seems that everyone has forgotten about this, including the developer themselves as the website currently points to a 404 error.

Not everyone, but yeah, the site appears to be gone. It originally stopped accepting uploads some time after Beyond Chapter Four, as the increase in incoming data turned out to be too much, and Wolzan wanted to rework the site before opening it back up. I guess that was abandoned then.

Top Bottom